• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

AliB

Sudden Onset Of Pale Stools And Diarrhea

Rate this topic

I have suffered for years with IBS. Over the last few months I have been getting a very painful stomach around the gullet area and latterly worse when I eat. Suddenly last weekend I developed very pale stools which degenerated rapidly into watery diarrhea which I have had since and food is going straight through me. Gall-bladder has been checked and seems to be ok but I haven't a clue what is going on. I do suffer from food intolerances, particularly dairy and now I have noticed things with tannin in and Salicylate overdose I think if I eat too much veg.

Just wondering whether a sudden change like this could be symptomatic of Celiac. Have others experienced this? I'd be grateful for any input.

I have suffered for years with IBS. Over the last few months I have been getting a very painful stomach around the gullet area and latterly worse when I eat. Suddenly last weekend I developed very pale stools which degenerated rapidly into watery diarrhea which I have had since and food is going straight through me. Gall-bladder has been checked and seems to be ok but I haven't a clue what is going on. I do suffer from food intolerances, particularly dairy and now I have noticed things with tannin in and Salicylate overdose I think if I eat too much veg.

Just wondering whether a sudden change like this could be symptomatic of Celiac. Have others experienced this? I'd be grateful for any input.

Welcome AliB,

Yes, sudden change in bowls are a symptom of Celiac, along with 200 others. Celiac often needs a "trigger" to engage many of the symptoms. (but not always).

I was diagnosed with IBS for most of my life, but stress kicked in the Celiac. It's as if, it happened in one day. I went to the bath room and came out two months later, when I was diagnosed. (we talk about these things very freely here :P )

I would suggest starting a food diary. Do NOT begin a gluten free diet if you are considering testing for Celiac.

If you choose to be tested for Celiac, here is the Blood Panel to request of your doctor:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Take some time to walk around this site and see if it fits.

Thanks Momma Goose.

I have been mooching around the site and some of what I experience does seem to fit but I wasn't sure about the sudden diarrhea. I am wondering now if I have the added complication of either an ulcer or a hiatus hernia, which would explain the gullet pain. Some years back I used to get acid reflux but that stopped after a while, but for some time I have noticed that gas gets stuck around my gullet so that probably would indicate a hernia. I am kicking myself now for not getting that checked. I will be down the doc's first thing tomorrow as I can't carry on like this. Until the food has passed out of my stomach the pain is horrendous and I don't know what to do with myself!

I ended up in Casualty (ER) the other night but although they did an X-ray they didn't give me a barium which probably would have shown up a hernia so that was probably a waste of time. Surely if someone presents with epigastric pain the first place to look is for a hernia or an ulcer. Doh! I think though that the fatty stools/diarrhea clouded the issue and they were probably looking more at the pancreas/gallbladder than where the stomach pain was.

I suppose it is possible that the stress from this ongoing pain might have even triggered the Celiac if that's what it is. I also had a bad anaphylactic reaction to an apple the other day (although I had eaten several over the preceding weeks without any problem at all!) and I haven't had a reaction like that for years. I am just weary now from all the pain and need some respite. I am tempted to sit in the surgery until it is sorted. We have the wonderful NHS here in the UK which usually means long waits for appointments. Drives you mad. Why can't we be like France - see the doc in the morning, have the test in the afternoon!

I am glad that you are going to pursue some medication advise. It would also be wise to make sure that there is nothing else to be concerned about. Pale colored stool can be a sign of many things, including liver issues and hepatitis.

When they did my endoscopy, they found Celiac, gastritis and a large sliding hernia. Going gluten free has helped those issues tremendously.

Celiac can be triggered by many things, and illness, a pregnancy, emotional stress, physical stress, etc.

Why don't you think about beginning a food diary. Documenting everything you eat and your reaction. I would certainly help you determine irritating foods.

I hope you find your answers soon.

I am glad that you are going to pursue some medication advise. It would also be wise to make sure that there is nothing else to be concerned about. Pale colored stool can be a sign of many things, including liver issues and hepatitis.

When they did my endoscopy, they found Celiac, gastritis and a large sliding hernia. Going gluten free has helped those issues tremendously.

Celiac can be triggered by many things, and illness, a pregnancy, emotional stress, physical stress, etc.

Why don't you think about beginning a food diary. Documenting everything you eat and your reaction. I would certainly help you determine irritating foods.

Sounds like your symptoms could be a mirror of mine. That's amazing. I never considered that the hernia could be controlled by gluten-free. I used to get a lot of GERD around 8 - 10 years ago which I was convinced was a hernia. I used to jump up and down in an attempt to make it go back down!!! :lol:

Latterly I have had problems dispersing wind which seems to get caught around my gullet so the possibility of a sliding or even a rolling hernia still being a problem is more than coincidence. I can't wait to get started. I can't cope with this pain every time I eat for much longer.

Things seem to be affecting me more too. I had a cup of Chamomile and Slippery elm last night then ended up with my whole body throbbing - even my intestines. I checked on the Net to see if Slippery Elm had gluten in it - not gluten, but tannin. I realised that i can't drink tea as it makes me feel queasy, all but the lowest alcohol wines make me cough so I can now add Slippery Elm to the list, which is annoying as it was calming my stomach pain.

Thank you so much for giving me your experience. It is great to know that I am not alone in this and that removing gluten hopefully will make a huge difference to the way i feel.

Momma Goose

Can you tell me please how long it took for you to start feeling any benefit, particularly with the digestion? I have started Gluten-free today and am hoping I can get some relief shortly from this incessant stomach pain.

The rate of healing is in direct ratio with the amount of damage. In other words, it took some time to build up damage (providing it is Celiac that you have) and it will take a like time to heal.

It does vary from person to person. Some feel better within days, others it may be weeks and months. Should you have Celiac, it may take up to two years to feel 100%. If you determine that you have a gluten intolerance or gluten sensitivity the diet is the treatment.

As I mentioned previously, you might look into testing. Again, do not begin your diet prior to testing as the results will not be accurate. You will most likely receive a false negative if you are gluten free at the time of testing.

Good luck in your search for answers.

Thanks Lisa.

I had the blood test this morning before I started the Gluten-free. We have trawled gently around the supermarkets this afternoon and I have come home with a selection of bits that hopefully will keep me going for a while.

Although I just had 3 rice cakes and some hoummous for lunch it seemed to go through ok. I have just had some fresh carrot juice which is supposed to be good for the digestion (and rich in Vit A). It's lovely with the addition of a little hot water to warm it on these cold days here.

I almost think I will miss dairy more than gluten (although I am grieving the fact that I may never be able to have a chocolate