Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi,

I'm in the middle of my first flu / cold and bad Laryngitis since I was diagnosed in 06.

Doc is giving me amoxicillin to try but said to check with the Pharmacist to see if there were any gluten containing binders.

of course the pharmacist said to check with the doc until I told her that the doc said to check with her. Anyway, she read off the

inert ingredients which included Microcrystalline cellulose and carmellose sodium.

I usually dont take any meds now unless I know for sure they are gluten-free. The pharmacist of course has no idea how these are made although

im pretty sure microcrystalline cellulose is made from wood pulp. Dont know about carmellose sodium.

So, does anyone have experience with amoxicillin or know about these other chemicals?

Thanks much

ken

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The best policy is to get the name of the manufacturer and a 1-800 number (if possible). Call them and ask if their product contains gluten. They are of course the most knowledgable on the makings of their products.

Pharmacists and doctors are not going to know if a medication is gluten free. There are thousands of medications and generics for those medications. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with the status of them.

If you can at least get the name of the drug company you can do a search online for their phone number to call. All of the drug companies I have called before are SUPER helpful. Good luck!

-Jessica

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Thanks much

I'll have to drive an hour to pick them up but guess its worth it since I've been fighting this thing a week and sick of being sick.

The flu/ cold part is gone but not being able to talk at all is strange although I think my wife is happy about it http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/style_image...icons/icon1.gif

Since it's Kaiser, they get generic in from Honolulu and dont always know the maker so I have to pick it up, get the numbers, call their main Hawaii place in Honolulu and get he maker before I can call the 800 number. Sometimes I think its easier to check on the chemical make up by itself.

Thanks again

ken

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator