Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nanjkay

Tinctures And Vitamin Supplements

Hi all-

I get so nervous about taking supplements since the excipient lists are not complete and or I don't if there is regulation over supplements, so I bought some tinctures, however, the tinctures have grain alcohol. I am reading conflicting info. Is grain alcohol distilled alcohol?

Also, if a vitamin says "contains no gluten" on the label, are they legally bound?

Also, I would like to start taking colosturum. Any advice there?

Thanks all-

Nancy

Hip surgeries for chronic pain in glute muscles -1989

Sciatica and hip pain - 1991-1993, diagnosed with fibromyalgia - 1993

Diagnosed with Grave's disease - 1995, radioactive iodine - 1996

Gained 60 lbs., depression, low energy, terrible PMS - 1997-2000, diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Diagnosed with Endometriosis - 2004

Stopped working from severe dizziness, eye pain and fatigue - Thanksgiving 2006

Diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis caused by Fibromyalgia - 2007

Gluten free - September 2007

Diagnosed with Lyme, Babesia and possibly Bartonella - June 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had a bad time with tinctures. I was using a few different ones (not at the same time), and I believe that they contributed to my leaky gut. Grain alcohol and it's safety for those with Celiac is still a murky issue. I decided better safe than sorry. A good herbalist can make your tinctures without the alcohol.

Thank you for letting me know.

How do i find a good "herbalist" without having to go to a health food store and dealing with capsules and excipients, etc? Have you found some online?

I had a bad time with tinctures. I was using a few different ones (not at the same time), and I believe that they contributed to my leaky gut. Grain alcohol and it's safety for those with Celiac is still a murky issue. I decided better safe than sorry. A good herbalist can make your tinctures without the alcohol.

Hip surgeries for chronic pain in glute muscles -1989

Sciatica and hip pain - 1991-1993, diagnosed with fibromyalgia - 1993

Diagnosed with Grave's disease - 1995, radioactive iodine - 1996

Gained 60 lbs., depression, low energy, terrible PMS - 1997-2000, diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Diagnosed with Endometriosis - 2004

Stopped working from severe dizziness, eye pain and fatigue - Thanksgiving 2006

Diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis caused by Fibromyalgia - 2007

Gluten free - September 2007

Diagnosed with Lyme, Babesia and possibly Bartonella - June 2008

I did a consult with an herbalist in a local herb/wellness shop. Everything is customized for you. If you are near or in an urban area there may well be one near you.

I also have had some really bad effects from tinctures. I am sensitive to gluten grain alcohols though. My health food store calls about any that I have had an interest in. It is important the way you word a query about the alcohols and vinagers, because most consider them to be gluten free it is better to ask what the alcohol is derived from without asking 'is it gluten free'. Asking if these are gluten free will almost always get a yes answer from companies, asking what the alcohol is derived from will give you a more accurate answer.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)