Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

horsefarmer4

Looking For A Safe Laxitive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We use Miralax in this house. My daughter was on it for quite some time as she has constipation tendancies.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

barring medical contraindications (kidney problems, for instance) magnesium can work well. senna is also an option.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

The good old standby that works like a charm is prune juice or stewed prunes (you can find both in any grocery store). And you KNOW that it won't have any side effects!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I second the magnesium suggestion. It certainly does work well. A powdered form, mixed in orange juice for example.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I just use sweet potatoes. I boil one up and then saute with some sugar to make them seem more a treat than a medicine. Works overnight for me with no side effects.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Your are not alone on this one! I spent two weeks in the hospital for that very reason. Plus a week of misery at home trying every home remedy mentioned & more to everything my doctor suggested & in combination. NOTHING ! SO off to the ER & my hospital stay. Again they got out the big guns & tried a different approach & old stand bys.

The last hope was a nurse finally suggested mineral oil by enema & or by mouth or both. When the nurse gave the enema she said stay right here in the bathroom because when this kicks in (usually quickly) you will need to be right here. The first sign of relief I thought was minutes away. Minutes led to hours hours & I stayed up all night walking the hallways to help things move along. In the morning 8 hours later nothing.

In the meantime they keep pushing me to eat food which I was so bloated I thought I would blow-up ( looked like I was carrying a baby elephant) not moving very well. I drank a glass of warmed prune juice . Walla in the next hour I was in the bathroom... RELIEF....... ANd homewward bound...

At first I had to drink miralax three times a day plus magnesium , then I slowly reduced the amount on my own. Now I drink it at the most a couple times a week. It sometimes does not effect me on the first dose so I will do another.

Oddly enough the ER said this was very common that people get this way.

For me I eat loads of fruit & veggies & water so they are puzzled.

Anyway , I would suggest miralax or mineral oil found in the pharmacy...if it persists.

good luck

mamaw

I eat psyllium every day... :)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)