Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twila Marie

Gluten Free How Long?

I started my gluten elimination diet this past week...and honestly it has completely changed my life! But I can't help but think about all the wonderful foods I'll never have again. :angry: So my question is - can you splurge every once in a while - or will the results be disasterous...seeing as your body has been completely rid of gluten up to that point...? Thanks!! :-)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I started my gluten elimination diet this past week...and honestly it has completely changed my life! But I can't help but think about all the wonderful foods I'll never have again. :angry: So my question is - can you splurge every once in a while - or will the results be disasterous...seeing as your body has been completely rid of gluten up to that point...? Thanks!! :-)

Welcome,

There is no simple answer to your question. If you have Celiac Disease, gluten can never be eaten. Gluten to a person with Celiac will set off a dangerous chain of events resulting in damage to your small intestines and puts you at a risk for other unfortunate autoimmune diseases. Gluten will always be your enemy.

If you have an intolerance or an allergy to gluten (which is often considered a precursor to Celiac) you might not occur any damage.

But fear not! There are some wonderful gluten substitutes that are very good.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

We have wonderful foods too. :D

If you are really sensitive to gluten, after a while you will feel so differently on a gluten free diet that you won't want to eat it anymore, because it will be very obvious by your reactions that it makes you feel very sick.

So what "seems" to be appealing right now won't be in the future. There is a learning curve as you learn what foods you can find at the shopping venues you have available (or wish to mail order) that will work for you.

The people who have the worst problems are the ones who are deliberately or accidently contaminating themselves with small amounts of gluten, or who also need to stop eating other things such as lactose, casein, or soy, etc, and never get to where they are feeling better. They see no justification for continueing. Or then they set themselves up for a much more difficult time by being adamant about other things they "will not eat" because they don't want to, and start eliminating so many food categories they will fail to find equilibrium.

Join eNewsletter

Hi & welcome

My opinion short & not so sweet! If you cheat once & it does not cause any illness it will become habit to do it over & over again. It may not show up in a stomach ache or anything but it may be causing intestinal damage that no one can see with a naked eye.

It just isn't worth the second of pleasure you think it may bring.... And what you think you will miss -- you may never miss...

It doesn't even matter if you are full blown celiac or gluten intolerant the out come is the same ... Follow a gluten free lifestyle for a new healthy life.

There are so many wonderful gluten-free goodies available today that no one should have cravings for a wheat goodie....

If you are missing a food item just ask , we can direct you where to find the cream of the crop in gluten-free.....

best of luck

blessings

mamaw

Join eNewsletter

You can cheat if you want your life to go back to the way it was last week. If you want to keep your new-found health, you have to stay gluten-free for the rest of your life.

BUT - you will find alternatives to your old favorite foods. I can't think of anything I used to eat that I can't find a good gluten-free substitute for. Well, except maybe those soft pretzels you get at baseball games, but I can live without them :)

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter