Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kbtoyssni

Food Related Community Service

This church group I'm a part of is planning on cooking breakfast at this local nursery. It's a place parents can drop their kids for free if there's a family emergency. I really want to help out, but all of a sudden I'm envisioning pancakes and cereal and messy toddlers and help! Does anyone have any ideas on how to help out and not be freaking out the whole time about gluten???

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What about reading stories or helping at an art table? If helping with meals and clean-up I would wear latex gloves and be careful about air born flour or pancake mix.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

I often help out in the kitchen at church and handle the food without problem. Cut and serve cakes, clean up and set up potlucks and tea time and cake time after the services. I just work carefully and wash my hands alot. You may want to tie your hair back if you are up close and personal with the kiddos so that you don't end up with crumbs in your hair. Also so that you don't reach up to get that stray hair out of your face with contaminated hands/gloves. Depending on the situation, you may want to wear an apron and change and wash your clothes when you get home. I personally would be comfortable flipping pancakes but would be concerned about mixing the batter. I probably wouldn't eat there in this particular case. Eat before or wash up before eating at home afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

At one church event I was in charge of kids with allergies. At snack time I took X kid or kids and got them their bag or appropriate snack and made sure there was no sharing or whatever the requirements.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter