Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kristin N

Whole Foods Cutting Down On Gluten Free Bread

Hi all!

So this is my first time on the gluten free forum even though I was diagnosed back in July 2007. I come on the website all of the time to read advice about restaurants, products, etc.

The reason I decided to join is because I want to share some news with everyone. Whole Foods has decided to cut down on their gluten-free bread supply by 1/3. I don't know how many of you enjoy Whole Foods gluten-free breads, but I am in love with their honey oat bread. It's possibly the best bread I've ever had, including bread with gluten. I am definitely going to write or call the Whole Foods headquarters and give them some feedback on how bad their decision is. Anyway, what would everyone think of possibly starting a petition? I know that 7$ bread at my local grocery store is better than paying for 9$ bread plus 30$ shipping and handling. :(

p.s. I just moved to Boston and have read some of the tips on the gluten-free bakeries and restaurants that I haven't tried yet. I will definitely be checking them out soon.

p.p.s. I am in love with Elephant Walk. That place is heaven.

Kristin

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Contacting them is probably a good way to go. Opinions may vary but I would think that someone taking the time to contact a company would have more weight than someone who was willing to sign a petition based on the relative level of effort.

Where did you hear that they were cutting back? It would helpful if we could cite a source when we contact them.

Join eNewsletter

If they're cutting back it's no doubt based on economics. While estimates say there might be as many as 2 million in the U.S. with celiac, only a very small percentage is diagnosed. And many of us who ARE diagnosed simply don't eat bread any more.

I would think individual messages would be more effective. And add your appreciation that they make gluten-free products at all.

richard

Join eNewsletter

Guest digmom1014

Please tell us who to contact and I will gladly write a letter. We have a new Whole Foods coming to Charlotte, NC and I would hate to have to bypass the yummy bread section!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter