Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

babysteps

Beware The Realtor Open House

Hi - didn't see a similar post, but I bet I'm not the first for this to happen to.

Yesterday our house was on 'broker open house' (just realtors tromp through) - our realtor also had a house down the block on open house. I didn't even think about this, but the realtor provided food for the brokers - and left us leftovers on a paper plate in the fridge covered with a napkin.

Leftover raspberry squares!!!

Well, my spouse ate them happily and tomorrow I'll be washing out the fridge with soap and water (we are eating away from home tonight, and had gluten-free takeout last night). At least they were on the bottom shelf (just 2 drawers beneath). Now I'm going to be paranoid about crumbs around the house for a week or two.

Yes I had mentioned in passing to the realtor that I am gluten-free, but never thought I needed to confirm what the open house protocol would be!

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So funny you should mention this! Our home was for sale last summer, and our realtor also had a Broker's Open. He chose not to serve food because he always hated it when realtors would come, eat and hardly give the house he listed a second look.

I told him it was just fine with me, as I'm gluten-free and the thought of gluten-filled foods spread out on my table and being eaten all over the downstairs of my house would put me in a panic! :D

In the end, that open house didn't lead to a showing anyway--after 2 months on the market with zero showings, a couple walked in with a realtor who happened to live across the road and bought the house! Ya never know! :lol:

Best of luck with everything--and be sure to get all those crumbs :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

That is one that would have NEVER of entered my head. I guess you have to question EVERYTHING!!

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

That is one that would have NEVER of entered my head. I guess you have to question EVERYTHING!!

Really! :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

That never would have occurred to me, either! I guess part of the contract has to be "seller has severe food sensitivities and therefore thou shalt NOT bring food into this house for ANY reason" and make sure it is understood that the rule includes all realtors and prospective buyers!

Sheesh!

Better safe than sorry!

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter