This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can I Ever Eat Out Again?

Chiron

Chiron Apprentice

I have only been gluten free for 2 months now since my biopsy confirmed celiacs, but when exposed to gluten I have a terrible response. I seem to be very sensitive to the smallest amounts. I have only tried to eat in restauraunts twice. The first time was at Outback Steakhouse and I got very sick, the second was yesterday at Pei Wei and am having another bad response. I chose both becuase they offer gluten free menus so my thought was that the store would be more familiar with gluten issues.

Avoiding eating out is making me feel incredibly isolated. I am single and in my late 20's so that is where people my age interact mostly. I have gone a number of times and just not had anything to eat (or drink at bars) but I feel like such a freak. Sitting there watching everyone else enjoy normal food makes me very sad.

For those folks who are very sensitive to gluten and cross contamination--is there any hope of being able to eat at a restauraunt again? Or am I now limited to my own culinary skills.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

Yes there is hope!!!!

1) Don't assume they know about gluten issues even if they have a gluten-free menu...things may still be cooked on teh same grill ect. So tell them you want your meat cooked ina pan versus the grill and things like that. Always check ingredients before you eat anything!

2) Call the resturant ahead of time...fax/email them a forbidden ingredient list and look at their menu ahead of time, try to know what is safe before you go, you will feel better if you do that and not so out of place.

I was the same way, I'm younger as well, the only person dx'd in my family ect. Here is a forbidden food list and a safe alcohol list. You can enjoy yourself and have fun when you go out. I was gluten-free 4-5 months before I felt comfortable going out and ordering food at a resturant. It will get better!

https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

https://www.celiac.com/articles/222/1/Glute...ages/Page1.html

Jess

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Yes there is hope!!!!

1) Don't assume they know about gluten issues even if they have a gluten-free menu...things may still be cooked on teh same grill ect. So tell them you want your meat cooked ina pan versus the grill and things like that. Always check ingredients before you eat anything!

2) Call the resturant ahead of time...fax/email them a forbidden ingredient list and look at their menu ahead of time, try to know what is safe before you go, you will feel better if you do that and not so out of place.

I was the same way, I'm younger as well, the only person dx'd in my family ect. Here is a forbidden food list and a safe alcohol list. You can enjoy yourself and have fun when you go out. I was gluten-free 4-5 months before I felt comfortable going out and ordering food at a resturant. It will get better!

Jess

I agree with all the above and also its best to go to a restaurant during their less busy times so they can pay more attention and cc will be less likely.

jentle Newbie

oh my I can soooo totaly relate here I am not new to celiac, so you would think I could cope with this by now, but icecream at McDonalds, and baked potatos at Wendys are the only two foods I have eaten out in the last 4 years, and sometimes with awful results, it screw up vacations, birthdays, you name it...

it stinks

itchygirl Newbie

And don't forget, if you're having fat malabsorption secondary to celiac, if you go out and eat heavy, greasy food such as steak or fried foods, you can get classic malabsorption symptoms without being glutened-good ol' bloat, cramps and D. If you have fat malabsorption it may take some time before you can tolerate many foods again. Two months is not long.

Chiron Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. I found a support group locally and we had a pot luck style appetizers and it was one of the first times in a few months I have eated with other people! I hate feeling so isolated. I think I am going to have to be more assertive about meals out because I am realizing how important it is to me. There is a restaraunt that a group of friends and I have frequented weekly for months now- I will start by asking that chef to work with me. So far I have just not eaten anything. I don't want to live in fear of food- but I also don't want to keep getting sick.

I have heard of restaraunt cards that explain celiacs- has anyone had any success with these? Any good ones on the web?

• 1 month later...
Mr. Pep'r Contributor
And don't forget, if you're having fat malabsorption secondary to celiac, if you go out and eat heavy, greasy food such as steak or fried foods, you can get classic malabsorption symptoms without being glutened-good ol' bloat, cramps and D. If you have fat malabsorption it may take some time before you can tolerate many foods again. Two months is not long.

I think this is a problem I am also having. Last night we had steaks for the first time in awhile. Got sick early this morning as I did the last time I had steak. Will this ever go away? Been gluten-free since last July and really at times not feeling any better.

I have eaten at both those restaurants and have no side affects. Knock on wood? Just Lucky?

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac the first month was awesome. I felt great and was able to eat out everywhere just no gluten. But over time that has changed, eating the same "naked burrito" was now making me sick! I have a few good days even a week or two, then wham!! SICK!! This is a MAJOR problem for my current career, I need to be able to eat on the run and have been able to do so. I have also lost about 12 pounds that I do NOT need to loose.

This is and has been depressing me, but I am remaining hopeful that it will get better. But so far I am scared every single time I eat out and at friends homes. Because as careful as I am I still get sick! I am sick still from last night as I type. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice
When I was first diagnosed with Celiac the first month was awesome. I felt great and was able to eat out everywhere just no gluten. But over time that has changed, eating the same "naked burrito" was now making me sick!

When you've been gluten free for a while you get more sensitive to it, so you are probably reacting to things that are cross contaminated now that you didn't react to in the beginning.

Eating out you always take a risk of cross contamination, that's why it's important to talk to the people at the restaurant. They need to know that your meal has to be prepared with clean hands and utensils, on clean pans and in clean bowls.

It can be a bit awkward in the beginning, but remember you're doing it for your health, not just to be a difficult customer!

Pauliina

Guest hightop girl

The malabsorption thing makes some sense... I ate out last night. It was a very unsatisfactory restaurant experience so I posted on the coping forum for ways to make the experience better. I ended up sending thet first meal back. It was a fajita salad that wasn't supposed to have a flour tortilla "bowl" according to the menu. When I called the restaurant to let them know that I wanted to be able to dine there because they have always been one of my favorites, I was told that all of their salads have flour tortilla bowls and that I "can't trust the menu"! Anyway... I ended up with no gluten problems, but this afternoon I have been bloating and feeling ucky... It was probably a bit too heavy for my system at this point. Holy cow! I guess this will someday seem more normal.

Archived