This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg! What Could It Be?!

Bravie

Bravie Apprentice

I've cut out dairy, soy, gluten, everything processed, I have my own pots, pans, knives, cooking utensiles, cutting board, sponges, rags, dish soap, can opener, I changed shampoos, I have my own storage area for dried foods, pots and pans, And I have my own little compartment in the fridge. I still feel bad! I eat nothing but meat and veggies, and I still get gas and a slight rash on my back. It isn't quite as bad as it used to be but...WHY AM I STILL HAVING SYMPTOMS AFTER ALL OF THIS HARD WORK?!

It's like i'm still being glutened by something...What is it? Water?! Could I be getting glutened by the family brita water filter? Gah! Idk...Maybe i'm going crazy... <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie
I've cut out dairy, soy, gluten, everything processed, I have my own pots, pans, knives, cooking utensiles, cutting board, sponges, rags, dish soap, can opener, I changed shampoos, I have my own storage area for dried foods, pots and pans, And I have my own little compartment in the fridge. I still feel bad! I eat nothing but meat and veggies, and I still get gas and a slight rash on my back. It isn't quite as bad as it used to be but...WHY AM I STILL HAVING SYMPTOMS AFTER ALL OF THIS HARD WORK?!

It's like i'm still being glutened by something...What is it? Water?! Could I be getting glutened by the family brita water filter? Gah! Idk...Maybe i'm going crazy... <_<

It really could be you are allergic/sensitive to something(s) else. I had to go on a elimination diet and discovered I had quite a few things I shouldn't eat or shouldn't eat that frequently. For instance I am allergic/sensitive to all nuts plus sesame seeds, alcohol, carrots, tuna, lamb, carob plus probably a few extra things I can't think of right now. Sometimes the reason for this is leaky gut and sometimes its just pure allergies. Look to your family and/or ancestors, is that likely or what?

Another thing it could be is mercury poisoning or some other environmentally toxic exposure. But mostly you should try to pinpoint what it is or isn't.

Other than that maybe it is just taking its bloody time working out of your system. Again taking detox herbs could really help like dandelion or milk thistle etc. etc. plus saunas etc.

Do you get enough exercise, by the way? It too might help...

Bravie Apprentice

I take a 2 mile walk every couple of days. I have to, since I don't have a car atm. I'm gonna go to the doctors at the beginning of april to see what else is up. I know that too much salt can screw up my skin, so i eat little to none. I'm really skinny, always have been, but i've gained weight in the past couple of months, like 5 lbs or so.

My boyfriend thinks it's cuz i'm living in this house xD hehehehe That could be part of the problem :P

ravenwoodglass Mentor

What detergent and fabric softener do you use? The rash may be linked to that. I have problems with rashes on my head and body when I use a lot of different products. I have learned the hard way to stick with Arm and Hammer dye free scent free detergent and fabric softner. Don't know if this is for sure the issue with you but thought it was worth mentioning.

YoloGx Rookie

What detergent and fabric softener do you use? The rash may be linked to that. I have problems with rashes on my head and body when I use a lot of different products. I have learned the hard way to stick with Arm and Hammer dye free scent free detergent and fabric softner. Don't know if this is for sure the issue with you but thought it was worth mentioning.

[/quote

That's a good tack. I too have problems with most detergents and even die in some clothing. Kind of forgot about it however. One has one's habits and after a while you don't even think about it. I use alternative less toxic scent free detergent from Trader Joe's in the green and white box... Several people in my family myself included can get rashes from strong detergents or soaps.

Bravie Apprentice

Yea, I think this rash has something to do with the detergent. The family uses ALL brand...My mom refuses to change it...So i'm gonna have to wait till I get out of here in less than 2 months. My boyfriend is extremely familiar and even follows a gluten/casein/soy free diet, just to maintain his diabetes and general health. I told him about the soap, detergent etc. I just can't wait to get out. I'm sick and tired of hearing my mom tell me that Celiac disease is some kind of curse when in reality it actually isn't hehe :rolleyes:

(My mom is an extreme religious fanatic who thinks that I was cursed by the devil with Celiac disease and that its my fault! hahahaha :lol: )

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Yea, I think this rash has something to do with the detergent. The family uses ALL brand...My mom refuses to change it...So i'm gonna have to wait till I get out of here in less than 2 months. My boyfriend is extremely familiar and even follows a gluten/casein/soy free diet, just to maintain his diabetes and general health. I told him about the soap, detergent etc. I just can't wait to get out. I'm sick and tired of hearing my mom tell me that Celiac disease is some kind of curse when in reality it actually isn't hehe :rolleyes:

(My mom is an extreme religious fanatic who thinks that I was cursed by the devil with Celiac disease and that its my fault! hahahaha :lol: )

Just do your laundry yourself with your own detergent till you get your own place. Mom will be glad to have one less chore to do. You may soon be hearing from her how at least one good thing came out of it, you learned to do laundry. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

oceangirl Collaborator

Bravie,

Keep a food log- it could help you pinpoint other problems. It seems like a big pain in the u-know-what but it's really second nature once you get used to it and it can really help figure things out. I've kept one for going on three years now and it has been indispensible.

I hope you feel better very soon! You will.

lisa

melmak5 Contributor

I second the food log.

Its how I found out I couldn't tolerate any grains or raw fruits.

(I have been lucky and have been able to add some of them back in smaller quantities.)

mommida Enthusiast

Checking the laundry soap is a good line of thinking.

Check the fabric labels too!

I happen to be allergic to alpaca. Anything that had been washed with it was causing a reaction. (sneezing, watery eyes, itching, etc.) I even had a reaction to an alpaca sweater that had just been shipped to my house, still double wrapped in sealed plastic bags.

Keeping a food journal will help find other sensitivities.

I don't know how long you've been gluten free, but your gut needs to heal.

dksart Apprentice

After reading your other post, do you think your mom could be sabotaging you? She seems quite mentally unstable and maybe she's testing you (for whatever reason, maybe god told her to)by contaminating your food. I hate to say it, but she seems pretty loony.

susieg-1 Apprentice

i also have problems with DH rash. remember that stamps and envelope glue are no nos. I also have new dishwasher safe potholders if yours are cloth from your pre-celiac era they could be the culprit. I also have a gluten eating family and disinfect remote controls and telephone handsets regularly. the rash if it is DH could take 6 mos to a yr to dissapear it gets better so hang in there

ravenwoodglass Mentor
After reading your other post, do you think your mom could be sabotaging you? She seems quite mentally unstable and maybe she's testing you (for whatever reason, maybe god told her to)by contaminating your food. I hate to say it, but she seems pretty loony.

I also agree that this is a strong possibility. Hopefully the time left in the situation will be brief.

Archived