This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Symptoms

welshy

welshy Newbie

SO, i have accepted that i have gluten intolerance and so have been following this diet strictly for the last 4 days and am feeling so much better in that my digestive/IBS symptoms are slowly going. But, the more i read about celiacs the more i think i definitely have it. For example, in the last 6 months i have had to have 7 fill-ins!!! Have always been good at brushing my teeth but clearly it hasn't made much difference. I also have receding gums and tooth disolouration. I have a rash on my upper arm which i'm hoping will go away the longer i adhere to the diet. I've had joint pain in my fingers and wrists and fatigue which i also hope will go away. Does this sound like celiacs? The only thing is, i'm worried that the doctors haven't officially diagnosed it. But since my health is in a poor state and i'm already noticing positive benefits to eating gluten-free there is no way i want to go back to eating gluten just so that the doctor can test me for it. Plus, i know i'd have a hard time getting my doctor to test it as the doctors over here in the UK aren't so up on celiacs and the miriade of symtoms. Can anyone relate to this? :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast
Can anyone relate to this? :blink:

I had the same issues with my teeth and also the joint pain in my wrists. I have been gluten free for 10 months now and don't have anymore joint pain. I assume my teeth are getting better too. I'll have to see the next time I go to the dentist. I hope you start to feel better too!

num1habsfan Rising Star

Dental Enamel Hypoplasia...look it up. In one of the pamphlets included in my Celiac New Members kit from years ago, it was listed as one of the possible related disorders/affects from delayed diagnosis.

~ Lisa ~

Sandi* Apprentice
SO, i have accepted that i have gluten intolerance and so have been following this diet strictly for the last 4 days and am feeling so much better in that my digestive/IBS symptoms are slowly going. But, the more i read about celiacs the more i think i definitely have it. For example, in the last 6 months i have had to have 7 fill-ins!!! Have always been good at brushing my teeth but clearly it hasn't made much difference. I also have receding gums and tooth disolouration. I have a rash on my upper arm which i'm hoping will go away the longer i adhere to the diet. I've had joint pain in my fingers and wrists and fatigue which i also hope will go away. Does this sound like celiacs? The only thing is, i'm worried that the doctors haven't officially diagnosed it. But since my health is in a poor state and i'm already noticing positive benefits to eating gluten-free there is no way i want to go back to eating gluten just so that the doctor can test me for it. Plus, i know i'd have a hard time getting my doctor to test it as the doctors over here in the UK aren't so up on celiacs and the miriade of symtoms. Can anyone relate to this? :blink:

Oh Sarah, I can definitely relate ;) ! I also wish I had a diagnosis but, just like you said, I'll stick to the diet as long as I feel better! I'm also really trying to go strictly gluten-free now but I think I keep unknowingly glutening myself pretty much all the time! I had to eat out a lot this weekend and although I ordered stuff that looked gluten-free I think it must have had some gluten hidden in the seasoning (one night I had Mexican and got so sick :( ). Plus, this morning I stupidly ate some granola before I realized that those oats probably weren't gluten free!

I was actually tested for celiac in the past (blood and biopsy) but my doctor said it came out negative. I keep wondering if he could have possibly missed something because pretty much the only time I felt better was when I managed to eat without dairy and gluten. Unfortunately that never lasted too long due to either my lack of willpower or ingredient ignorance.

I wish you the best of luck successfully sticking to the diet and hope you are symptom-free soon!

Kate (aka Zara ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
Sarah2008 Newbie

I just wanted to let you know that I too have major problems with my teeth. The enamel is so worn down that I get cavities real easily. I also have "clubbed fingernails" which I just recently learned is from the Celiac Disease. Just wanted to say you're not alone!

Levi Rookie
I just wanted to let you know that I too have major problems with my teeth. The enamel is so worn down that I get cavities real easily. I also have "clubbed fingernails" which I just recently learned is from the Celiac Disease. Just wanted to say you're not alone!

Hey, where did all these other symptoms come from? I thought all we had to worry about is gut problems and the other serious side affects of having a weak imune system constantly fighting the gluten.

My teeth are not so great also practically no enamel left, and I am not sure what clubbed nails are but I noticed lately my fingernails are building ridge lines in the pink area that are very course.

Fyi, I have been gluten-free now for 15 months except for an occasional cheat or accidental exposure. The diet is a sure fire way for anyone who wants to lose weight. I lost 39 lbs the first two months after diag, and I was not trying to lose any. I got really skinny.

In Christ,

Brother Raymond.

Sarah2008 Newbie

"My teeth are not so great also practically no enamel left, and I am not sure what clubbed nails are but I noticed lately my fingernails are building ridge lines in the pink area that are very course. "

Clubbed nails are when your fingernails curve downwards with your fingers. Mine are so bad I have to clip them to keep them from breaking the skin.

It's amazing what we have to deal with when it comes to gluten!!

And you're definitely right about the weight loss, I'm down 35lbs!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Stephanie DH Newbie
"My teeth are not so great also practically no enamel left, and I am not sure what clubbed nails are but I noticed lately my fingernails are building ridge lines in the pink area that are very course. "

Clubbed nails are when your fingernails curve downwards with your fingers. Mine are so bad I have to clip them to keep them from breaking the skin.

It's amazing what we have to deal with when it comes to gluten!!

And you're definitely right about the weight loss, I'm down 35lbs!

I have the ridges too. Wow 35lbs! How quickly? That would be the best thing. I am only 11 days off of gluten but am still having issues. I think I feel worse.

sneezydiva Apprentice

Hi It's been awhile since I last posted, but I had to respond to this post. My teeth are horrible. I have a ton of cavities despite good oral hygeine habits. I was so disapointed with my last dental appoint just 3 weeks ago--I had a new cavity and 2 spots of weak enamel that need to be "watched". This is all after being almost gluten free since last July, and definetely gluten free since December (with the occasional slip-up, of course.) My dentist told me eventually I will most likely need a root canal in the tooth she filled!

Is there anyone here who has gotten good news from their dentist since going gluten free?

welshy Newbie
Hi It's been awhile since I last posted, but I had to respond to this post. My teeth are horrible. I have a ton of cavities despite good oral hygeine habits. I was so disapointed with my last dental appoint just 3 weeks ago--I had a new cavity and 2 spots of weak enamel that need to be "watched". This is all after being almost gluten free since last July, and definetely gluten free since December (with the occasional slip-up, of course.) My dentist told me eventually I will most likely need a root canal in the tooth she filled!

Is there anyone here who has gotten good news from their dentist since going gluten free?

That sucks. I haven't had any good news. In fact, i skipped my dental appointment on friday because i couldn't face anymore bad news. I've been trying to eat more dairy (used to just have milk in tea and coffee) but since doing that a week ago i have gone from having almost no bloating and constipation to being really constipated and bloated today. Not sure what to do because clearly by teeth need the calcium in dairy... ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
That sucks. I haven't had any good news. In fact, i skipped my dental appointment on friday because i couldn't face anymore bad news. I've been trying to eat more dairy (used to just have milk in tea and coffee) but since doing that a week ago i have gone from having almost no bloating and constipation to being really constipated and bloated today. Not sure what to do because clearly by teeth need the calcium in dairy... ;)

You sound like you need to be dairy free for at least a bit as well as gluten-free. Have you tried any of the alternative milks? Hemp milk is very high in protein and calcium, if I remember correctly it has even more of both than cows milk. Rice milk is also good, just don't get Rice Dream, they are not gluten-free no matter what the carton may say. I like Pacific and Wegmans varieties. Almond milk is also really good, especially the chocolate. All are a nondairy source of calcium. What I did when first trying the different types was use them for cereal and baking at first.

welshy Newbie
You sound like you need to be dairy free for at least a bit as well as gluten-free. Have you tried any of the alternative milks? Hemp milk is very high in protein and calcium, if I remember correctly it has even more of both than cows milk. Rice milk is also good, just don't get Rice Dream, they are not gluten-free no matter what the carton may say. I like Pacific and Wegmans varieties. Almond milk is also really good, especially the chocolate. All are a nondairy source of calcium. What I did when first trying the different types was use them for cereal and baking at first.

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen almond milk over here in the UK. I've only seen rice and soy milk. Will give soy milk and yoghurts a try though. I think i've panicked and eaten loads of dairy before my body's ready and can tolerate it. I'm just worried about my bone and dental health.

flourgirl Apprentice

Because Calcium is one of the things we malabsorb with intestinal damage, we all should be taking supplements, at least in my opinion. As we heal, we'll absorb more, and I hope that means a halt to this part of the mess. My teeth are a wreck right now. Have been losing enamal for a number of years. Had one dentist tell me that I brushed too much and too hard, if you can believe that! This year I've had 2 teeth break off at the root, under the gum. I hadn't known they could do that. Am looking at 2 root canals, have not been able to keep fillings...they fall out, and lately teeth are chipping off in pieces. When I was 20-25 I had only one filling and great teeth! Wish I had known years ago.

Archived