Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pathpawb

Please Help!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and I have been pretty sick and I don't know what to do. For the past 2 weeks I have had severe abdominal pain and diarrhea and I have been unable to eat ANYTHING because when I eat, the pain gets much worse. I have celiac disease and I have already lost 10 pounds with this. I also have bloating and I am very tired. I talked to my GI doc today and he said you don't have pain with celiac disease!! He said I needed to see a gyn doctor. So I called my gyn doc and he said to cal after my next period ended to see if I had a cyst. SO I called my GI doctor's office back and they said they will see me tomorrow. I feel like no one is listening to me!! This pain is real and I feel really sick!! DOes anyone know what I can do to help this situation? WHat can I tell my doctor to make him listen to me? Has anyone else had this type of problem? Please help!! Thank you!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi there...

I am sorry that you have all these symptoms. There is an idea why you keep having them....maybe you have some other intolerances...Most of us can't eat casein or lactose. Have you checked that? Or is there any chance that you gluten yourself by accident?

To make you feel better, I have the same problem with you and I am going to have a colonoscopy and a biopsy. Maybe you should find yourself a doctor you can trust....Please don't give up....

Take care

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

Ok, celiac hurts! Are you gluten-free? You didnt specify if you are or not. Did anything change 2 weeks ago when this started? Also, were you checked for parasites?

I didnt have such bad symptoms, others might have ideas for what helps w the D and cramping.

Keep working on those doctors, and if they act like its all in your head - find another doctor! Hope you feel better soon

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Join eNewsletter

What nonsense that you don't have pain with celiac disease! Before I figured out that my problem was gluten, I went to the ER with such intense pain that I thought I was dying! I had another one during that summer (2005) but didn't bother with the ER that time, because they were no help the first time.

I've never had that horrible pain again after I started the gluten-free diet.

You didn't say if you are on the gluten-free diet. Also, dairy or soy could be causing those symptoms as well.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and I have been pretty sick and I don't know what to do. For the past 2 weeks I have had severe abdominal pain and diarrhea and I have been unable to eat ANYTHING because when I eat, the pain gets much worse. I have celiac disease and I have already lost 10 pounds with this. I also have bloating and I am very tired. I talked to my GI doc today and he said you don't have pain with celiac disease!! He said I needed to see a gyn doctor. So I called my gyn doc and he said to cal after my next period ended to see if I had a cyst. SO I called my GI doctor's office back and they said they will see me tomorrow. I feel like no one is listening to me!! This pain is real and I feel really sick!! DOes anyone know what I can do to help this situation? WHat can I tell my doctor to make him listen to me? Has anyone else had this type of problem? Please help!! Thank you!

I agree, you may be eating other things you are intolerant to.

I suggest you try going on a kind of fast, just eating some cooked vegetables you don't normally eat and maybe also rely on eating cooked slippery elm. Or, alternatively, just eat the slippery elm if nothing else agrees. It really is very soothing and healing.

The formula for slippery elm is as follows: 1 tablespoon slippery elm to one cup water. Put slippery elm in a very small amount of cold water and mix well so its no longer lumpy (it tends to resist water at first). Then add the rest of the water. Cook 10 to 15 minutes on a slow boil, stirring every while. If cinnamon is OK for you you could add that and maybe a little stevia to taste. It is very nutritive though a little mucous forming (the cinnamon helps counteract this).

The other thing that is soothing to the gut which is a lot quicker is marshmallow root. It is not mucous forming by the way. Take a teaspoon and mix it with again a very small amount of cold water. Then, once mixed, add water up to a cup, drink and then chase with some more water. This will help soothe your gut very quickly. Both herbs helps soothe and heal the villi--which really is where it is at.

You also could try digestive enzymes. It may make a huge difference in your ability to eat. Pancreatin might be to the point as may also be bromelain/papain. It is unlikey these will create any allergenic problems unless you are allergic to pineapple or papaya. I personally don't do well eating raw pineapple though cooked is OK. However these enzymes don't create a problem for me.

On that note, be careful of raw fruits or fruits in general. Some people are allergic to some or all of them. As far as vegetables, I am allergic to carrots and others often have tomato, potato and pepper allergies. I am allergic to nuts as are many celiacs. Sprouting seeds helps make them more digestible.

Anything is suspect so go about figuring out what you can or can't eat slowly, adding one item at a time every couple of days and keep book recording your reactions or not, as well as your pulse rate. A rapid pulse sometimes and a slwo pulse other times not associated with shock or activity usually indicates a sensitivity.

There are more things you can do, however this would be a good start. Nevertheless taking B vitamins might be really important since its possible you are deficient in some of them. I don't make or utilize vitamin B-1 very easily for instance which makes digesting proteins and carbohydrates difficult. Two years go I started taking co-enzyme B complex from Country Life and it has made a huge difference for the positive for me.

If you are getting all these blood panels done, have them check out your B's--thoroughly. It often is a real problem for people with celiac, and it thus compounds the problem.

You could also be deficient in other vitamins and minerals as well. Actually it is likely, so if you are having it done get it done!

Good luck!

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac disease also puts you at high risk for pancreatits, which causes severe pain whenever you eat. Has your doctor done any bloodwork, esp amylase and lipase?

If he needs a study to jog his tiny doctor brain, here is one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17702659

and here are the symptoms of pancreatitis

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pancreatitis/DS00371

I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

Join eNewsletter

You're not alone! Before my diagnosis I went months getting sicker and sicker. I still have a lot of stomach pain and trouble. It hurts if I don't eat, hurts if I do, and it doesn't seem to matter what it is that I eat. My weight dropped from 130 to 105. Since going gluten free I've gained some back, holding steady at 114, I eat because I have to, not because I want to. I had such bloating and pain for so long, Ihad many tests for nothing...but at least eliminated some things. Of course there can be pain...and not just the stomache! Stick to your guns, take charge of your treatment with knowledge and courage. Some people take longer to heal than others, so be patient, too. Good luck and get better soon.

GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE

Theresa

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter