Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chiron

Itchy Skin After Physical Contact With Gluten

I work in a deli but am careful only to prepare vegetable based salads even though much of what we serve includes pasta salad and other gluteny treats. Someone called out sick tonight and I had to step in and help out at the retail counter serving the salads we make. Though I tried to be careful, you can't on a high volume night- which means my forearms had lots of exposure.

I have never had outward signs of DH meaning blisters etc, but I have noticed alot of itching at work compared to days off. Tonight I feel like my arms and anywhere I touched are on fire. It is 3:00 AM here and I have not gotten any sleep b/c of it.

Can this be DH even with out blisters or rash?

Sleepless in NC

Biopsy Confirmed Celiac: January 10, 2008.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like you may have an allergy to wheat and/or gluten as well as a gluten intolerance. I get the same problem, but not everybody with gluten intolerance/celiac disease has it.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

[quote

I have never had outward signs of DH meaning blisters etc, but I have noticed alot of itching at work compared to days off. Tonight I feel like my arms and anywhere I touched are on fire. It is 3:00 AM here and I have not gotten any sleep b/c of it.

Can this be DH even with out blisters or rash?

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I join the ranks of those who cannot have gluten on my skin. I wasn't like this as a child, but as the years go by, I get worse and worse. The longer I am gluten free, going on 8 yrs now, the more reactive I become. I pay close attention to any lotions, soaps, etc, watching for grains of any kind now.

Another poster had asked St. Ives about their H20 body soap and received an email from St. Ives stating the soap is gluten free, yet when I used it, it burned my skin on contact. If not gluten, then what is in it? It has ingredients with 25 letters in them, how do we know what that is? I stick with softsoap, I have never had a reaction to it. Oats in a product make me burn, corn and soy too.

I always say, better safe, than sorry!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

I join the ranks of those who cannot have gluten on my skin. I wasn't like this as a child, but as the years go by, I get worse and worse. The longer I am gluten free, going on 8 yrs now, the more reactive I become. I pay close attention to any lotions, soaps, etc, watching for grains of any kind now.

Another poster had asked St. Ives about their H20 body soap and received an email from St. Ives stating the soap is gluten free, yet when I used it, it burned my skin on contact. If not gluten, then what is in it? It has ingredients with 25 letters in them, how do we know what that is? I stick with softsoap, I have never had a reaction to it. Oats in a product make me burn, corn and soy too.

I always say, better safe, than sorry!

Ohmygosh, I'm the one who posted re: St Ives. I haven't gotten a chance to use it since getting that response from the company. Now I'm not so sure! I think I'll google each ingredient...or just pitch it! Glad I read your note here...

Tracy

Antigliadin IgA 78 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 46 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Anti-casein! (cow's milk) IgA antibody 54 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0602

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0602

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 8 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 10 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Anti-Soy IgA 17 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Join eNewsletter

It may not be DH, although you are obviously reacting. Also, with DH, a lot of people feel the itching and burning BEFORE the bumps show up, I'm one of them. Sometimes up to eight hours before for me. So if in a day or two you don't get little bumps or blisters, then you are probably having some other kind of reaction. I think you're kind of stuck with either suffering, or getting a different job. That and eventually, touching all that gluten, its going to get in your mouth at some point. After a few years gluten free it's easier to keep tabs on yourself and where you put your hands, but that's not something you should expect of yourself being this new at it.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

I get itchy when my skin is exposed to gluten. I get no rash afterwards and generally no other problems, just itchy. I always just kind of figured it was in my head. Maybe not though if others experience the same symptom.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Join eNewsletter

I get itchy when my skin is exposed to gluten. I get no rash afterwards and generally no other problems, just itchy. I always just kind of figured it was in my head. Maybe not though if others experience the same symptom.

I get itchy too... not in your head at all. My arms, face and scalp itch like crazy. Then I shed a handful or two of hair over the next few days. Lucky me! I get bumps that look like pimples on my upper arms but they are solid... sometimes on my face too although since going gluten-free that has almost completely disappeared.

I used comet one day and had to run outside for a sprinkler emergency. While I was outside my arms started burning like crazy and continued for 3 hours or so, steadily subsiding. If I get into a hot hot shower and let the water run where the itching and and burning are, it seems to "pull it out" if this makes sense. Sort of like getting rid of a histamine reaction. Strange but helps some.

Tracy

Antigliadin IgA 78 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 46 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Anti-casein! (cow's milk) IgA antibody 54 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0602

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0602

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 8 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 10 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Anti-Soy IgA 17 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Join eNewsletter

I don't react to touching small amounts of gluteny food. I do have a wheat allergy on top of gluten intolerane. Wheat eaten(not other glutens) causes me rashes. I accidentally bought a shampoo with wheat protein in it. My scalp itched like mad!!!!!!!! woke me up at night and almost drove me crazy. I just used it a few times.

I do itch alot though-sensitive skin.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter