Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jknnej

Dietary Changes

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and have not yet had my upper endopscopy for Celiac Disease. I have tested positive on one of 3 of the blood tests; ;my GI doc says I have about a 50% chance of having celiac disease.

I've always thought I had irritable bowel but since going to a new doc, he thinks it might be this.

My question is: first, he told me it was OK to start a Gluten free diet w/out the biopsy to see if I begin feeling better b/c it's scheduled for less than two months away and he didn't think that would affect it much. But, since starting this diet, my tummy has felt much better but I have other weird symptoms: mild tremors in my hand, "fogginess" in my vision, confusion, light-headedness, even hearing my heartbeat sometimes, a bit of nausea sometimes. Friends have told me my body is just shocked from diet changes-what do you think?

Instinct tells me I have celiac disease but even if I don't, I feel much better on this diet and will probably keep it anyway.

Can anyone help with those questions? I just want to know if it's normal!

Thanks, Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

"fogginess" in my vision, confusion, light-headedness, even hearing my heartbeat sometimes, a bit of nausea sometimes." I get all that, too. Are you making sure to eat right (not just glutenfree), taking vitamins, and such? You should talk to your doctor about these symptoms, as well. I'm glad to see the diet is working well and making you feel better!

Thanks for your quick response! Yes, I'm eating pretty well. I eat fruits, veggies, chicken, take a multi vitamin plus a b complex, and take a fiber supplement.

I do snack on gluten-free cookies and such but nothing that would cause these weird symptoms!

My GI doc is out of town until Feb. I went to my normal doc and she had no clue. Our country is seriously uneducated about this. She said I should see a neurologist if it doesn't clear up b/c she has no clue about Celiac Disease!

So, I guess I'll wait and see if it gets better. Hopefully it does. I feel like I've traded one set of problems for another: first stomach aches, now my stomach is fine but I feel like I'm walking around in a tunnel!

Guest sriddle78

I have a week before I get all my testing for Celiac, but what you are describing with the shaking, lightheadedness, and walking around in a tunnel is EXACTLY how I felt a few months ago after I have a really bad vomiting/diarrhea episode. Maybe your electrolytes are off? I'm not a doctor, by any means. I also felt that way when I tried to stop eating wheat in the past (before knowing I had to be eating it to get the tests). I think I was consuming too much other sugars (gluten-free crackers and snacks are usually higher on the glycemic index than those that contain gluten). From what you say, it doesn't sound like you're eating much sugar or starchy food. I would definitely tell your doctor. There are times now when I can certainly hear my heart pound. It sort of scares me. Good luck to you!