This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cigarettes Have Gluten?

MELINE

MELINE Enthusiast

Hello everyone

I don't smoke. Yesterday I went out with my friends and I just wanted to have a cigarette and actually I had 3-4. Within 1 hour the results were bloating, abdominal pain and nausea.

Is there any gluten in cigarettes??? i smoked the ones that you make on our own...I don't know how you call them. The ones that you take the smoke and you put it in a piece of paper and you roll it. I hope you understand what I am describing....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I believe there is glue on the paper, you lick it and stick it together, right? My father used to roll his own cigarettes, but that is a very long time ago.

The name 'glue' comes from 'gluten'. Because it is often used to make glue, since it is very sticky. You shouldn't lick postage stamps, or envelopes for letters, because often the glue contains gluten. So, maybe the glue on the cigarette paper contained gluten, too! It is also possible that the paper contained gluten.

On the other hand, a non-smoker who smokes 4 cigarettes could get feeling sick and nauseated just because of not being used to smoking.

Lisa Mentor

I smoked for a long time and never had any gluten reaction. Many other members here smoke and they are highly sensitive. Although, I believe that manufactured cigarettes have an ingredient list about a mile long.

As Ursa mentioned, as a non smoker, smoking 3-4 cigarettes would certainly make you nauseated.

psawyer Proficient

My time as a smoker was long before my diagnosis of celiac disease.

Manufactured cigarettes are not a gluten source as far as I know, but there could be an exception somewhere. I am not suggesting that smoking is a good thing, I'm only commenting on the gluten concern.

If you are rolling your own, some (but certainly not all) papers have gluten in the adhesive. This is a double whammy: you get your first exposure when you lick the adhesive, and your second when you inhale the smoke from the same adhesive.

There have been some discussions about rolling papers here in the past by people who use an alternative substance to tobacco, and therefore must roll their own. :ph34r: A search should find those topics.

As Momma Goose said, a non-smoker who smokes several cigarettes may well experience nausea from the sudden and new exposure to nicotine.

MELINE Enthusiast

I' ve done some searching about rolling papers. Rizla doesn't have any gluten (someone has already asked the manufacturer) but I don't know ursa if it is possible for the glue to be without gluten.....I didn't know about envelops..Never crossed my mind......Thank you....

So maybe it was the glue or maybe it was something else. It was not the first time I smoked. When I said I am not a smoker I just wanted to say I am not a regular smoker not that I smoked for the first time in my life, so I guess it was not the sudden exposure in smoke cause it was not sudden. Any way maybe it was the wine.

Ivanna44 Apprentice
Hello everyone

I don't smoke. Yesterday I went out with my friends and I just wanted to have a cigarette and actually I had 3-4. Within 1 hour the results were bloating, abdominal pain and nausea.

Is there any gluten in cigarettes??? i smoked the ones that you make on our own...I don't know how you call them. The ones that you take the smoke and you put it in a piece of paper and you roll it. I hope you understand what I am describing....

Tsk, Tsk :o , Meline, Just kidding.

One you don't smoke. I'm surprised you didn't throw up. I'm not sure the on the gluten factor of cigerattes, (to me right now, everything even the air we breathe has gluten in it) but I'm just coming to terms with this whole gluten free thing.

I smoke <<yes, bad girl I know.

Cigeratte smoking increases acid production in the stomach, especially if you smoke on an empty stomach. Hence, the bloating, abdominal pain and sickness feeling. You also smoked a cigeratte without a filter, aka the old fashioned hand rolled. That's one stronggggggg cigerratte, double the nicotine so on.

I know if I have not eaten in 3 odd hours and I smoke, I get that acid deal again. Aka I gotta nibble on something every couple of hours. So the acid has something else to attack than an empty stomach.

>>>>>>>>.hands Meline a big chunk of DArk Chocolate!!! just as satisifying as the cigeratte. And remember dark chocolate has anti oxidants too. win, win. :D

hugs.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My DH and I are both smokers. We have both been glutened by cigs. He didn't believe me when I said they were a source but humored me by switching to American Spirit cigs (no additives whatsover, just tobacco). (Note I am not in any way affiliated with the folks that make these, I just smoke them.) A couple of months after we switched he ran out and he bought a pack of his old brand. He called me the next morning itching and miserable and has never touched any cigs other than the brand we smoke since. If I get a gluteny cig it peels my lips, literally, within a couple of hours and the other reactions hit in the next week or so. I should mention that we don't get a severe GI upset with gluteny cigs, it is mostly the brain and for me joint stuff that reappears.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast
Tsk, Tsk :o , Meline, Just kidding.

stomach.

>>>>>>>>.hands Meline a big chunk of DArk Chocolate!!! just as satisifying as the cigeratte. And remember dark chocolate has anti oxidants too. win, win. :D

hugs.

hehehehe!!! really good post!!! I enjoyed it so much!!!! I appreciate your concerne but.....guess what.....no chocolate for me.....sugar and chocolate allergy...yes it sucks!!!! any way I'll find something else....

Question...what is the meaning of the word "aka" ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

thanks for the great post and for the hugs.

MELINE Enthusiast
If I get a gluteny cig it peels my lips, literally, within a couple of hours and the other reactions hit in the next week or so.

Usefull information!!! thank you

can I ask you something cause I am new to all this thing? When you say "the other reactions hit in the next week or so" what do you mean....is there a delay in gluten reaction? I thought it was within the first 2 hours....could you give me an example? pls.....

Panopticism Rookie
There have been some discussions about rolling papers here in the past by people who use an alternative substance to tobacco, and therefore must roll their own. :ph34r: A search should find those topics.

Yeah... :ph34r:

Rizla papers are gluten free.

nikky Contributor

aka means also known as ;)

and i wouldnt be surprised if some cigarettes do contain gluten.. as well as the other junk they put in there. As other posters have said it could also be because you are a non-smoker and smoking a few at once would have been a huge shock to your system.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Usefull information!!! thank you

can I ask you something cause I am new to all this thing? When you say "the other reactions hit in the next week or so" what do you mean....is there a delay in gluten reaction? I thought it was within the first 2 hours....could you give me an example? pls.....

The symptoms and the reaction time can vary from person to person and even change after some healing takes place. For me the skin stuff used to show up very quickly, like the peeling lips and DH blisters (my DH now takes a few days but I am 5 years into this), within hours my balance will be affected and within 24 hours I am hit with a short lived but severe depression. Also in the first few hours my tummy will start to rumble and I will start to bloat. My joint and muscle pain usually hits a couple of days after injestion and for me the D hits at either day 3 or 4. The brain fog, OCD thinking, anxiety and joint problems will usually continue for up to three weeks but the GI stuff leaves after the D hits.

The fact that the GI symptoms are often delayed can make it hard to pinpoint what got us. When I was put on the elimination diet before diagnosis the doctor had me add each food in for a full week before I could consider it safe. With food intolerances the reaction can take up to that long to hit, in part because it is an antibody reaction and not a histamine one, which is what a true allegy is.

MELINE Enthusiast
The symptoms and the reaction time can vary from person to person and even change after some healing takes place. For me the skin stuff used to show up very quickly, like the peeling lips and DH blisters (my DH now takes a few days but I am 5 years into this), within hours my balance will be affected and within 24 hours I am hit with a short lived but severe depression. Also in the first few hours my tummy will start to rumble and I will start to bloat. My joint and muscle pain usually hits a couple of days after injestion and for me the D hits at either day 3 or 4. The brain fog, OCD thinking, anxiety and joint problems will usually continue for up to three weeks but the GI stuff leaves after the D hits.

The fact that the GI symptoms are often delayed can make it hard to pinpoint what got us. When I was put on the elimination diet before diagnosis the doctor had me add each food in for a full week before I could consider it safe. With food intolerances the reaction can take up to that long to hit, in part because it is an antibody reaction and not a histamine one, which is what a true allegy is.

This is so helpful!! Thank you so much for the information. I did not know it had to do with the healing progress.....You really gave me some usefull information.

Ciao

• 4 weeks later...
CuriousOne Apprentice

i was thinking about your thread today... i think its just a lot of nicotine u smoked...causing you to feel bad. this happened to me 3 years ago before i ever smoked. i smoked 2 american spirit cigarettes (which are high in nicotine) and I felt sooooo bad for like 45 minutes. i bet thats just what happened. i don't think it was gluten.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
i was thinking about your thread today... i think its just a lot of nicotine u smoked...causing you to feel bad. this happened to me 3 years ago before i ever smoked. i smoked 2 american spirit cigarettes (which are high in nicotine) and I felt sooooo bad for like 45 minutes. i bet thats just what happened. i don't think it was gluten.

If a nonsmoker smokes any kind of cig it will make them ill. It is after all a toxin. An oldfashioned way to keep a kid from developing the habit after a parent found them smoking was to make them sit and smoke a whole pack nonstop. By the 5th or 6th cig most kids would puke, thus ending any desire to develop the habit. Of course nowadays this would most likely be considered child abuse. :)

MELINE Enthusiast
If a nonsmoker smokes any kind of cig it will make them ill. It is after all a toxin. An oldfashioned way to keep a kid from developing the habit after a parent found them smoking was to make them sit and smoke a whole pack nonstop. By the 5th or 6th cig most kids would puke, thus ending any desire to develop the habit. Of course nowadays this would most likely be considered child abuse. :)

well what you wrote is very logical, but it was not the first time I smoke in my life. anyway, finally I know now what caused me all the trouble. My doctor confirmed with the biopsy that I have IBS, and he told me never to smoke again cause it is irritating the intestine more. so...no more smoking for me (the sicker I am the healthier life I am going to have...cool...)

:D

Archived