Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glutenous_Maximus

What Are My Odds Of Gluten Intolerence?

I got my Lame Advertisement food sensitivity scores yesterday and it told me I have no sensitivity to gluten or gliactin. It also says I have no sensitivity to wheat, barley, or rye.

I've been gluten free for two months, so maybe that skewed the results.

Despite negative scores on Lame Advertisement and possibly future tests, here are the things that keep me convinced that I'm intolerant:

-I have very characteristic symptoms after being glutened: Itchy skin all over, dull headache, slight nausea, instant drowsiness, indigestion for days, pain behind the eyes.

-Longterm symptoms during my lifetime of wheat ingestion have disappeared: Puffy eyes, trouble sleeping, blinding migraines, chronic indigestion and bloating.

-My sister has been diagnosed with Celiac Sprue by her doctor. She's highly sensitive.

-My other sister is Type 1 Diabetic, has Graves Disease (thyroidism), and is anemic.

-Trouble committing to relationships

Ok, so that last one is a personality problem, but wouldn't it be nice if gluten free diets solved everything? Anyway, tell me what you think of my odds.

edit: Nice word filter. "Lame Advertisement" is a word that rhymes with "Mallrat".

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Twenty percent for first degree relatives and then throw in your symtoms and I would say your odds are pretty darn good.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

question....

after going gluten-free have you noticed any difference in your symptoms?????

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

question....

after going gluten-free have you noticed any difference in your symptoms?????

After one week of only eating Asian food, the puffiness around my eyes went away. Then came more energy. After being gluten free for two months, I can now eat mixes of foods that would ordinarily give me severe indigestion, such as beans and rice, and I have no gas or bloating.

Join eNewsletter

After one week of only eating Asian food, the puffiness around my eyes went away. Then came more energy. After being gluten free for two months, I can now eat mixes of foods that would ordinarily give me severe indigestion, such as beans and rice, and I have no gas or bloating.

Watch out for the soy sauce. Most contain gluten.

Lisa

Join eNewsletter

Not sure what gliactin is. Sounds like the test was for allergy which is different than celiac--the mechanisms in the body are totally different. You could have a wheat/gluten allergy, or celiac or both.

The first degree diagnosed relative plus improvement after going gluten-free seems indicative. It wouldn't be useful to do further celiac testing because you are already gluten-free, though you could consider Enterolab.

As soon as you said Asian food, I wondered; as most does have wheat (soy sauce), or in other ingredients. Thai is a little better but you still have to be vigilant.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Watch out for the soy sauce. Most contain gluten.

I learned that lesson again today. Got itchiness all over and crashed hard for two hours.

Not sure what gliactin is. Sounds like the test was for allergy which is different than celiac--the mechanisms in the body are totally different. You could have a wheat/gluten allergy, or celiac or both.

The first degree diagnosed relative plus improvement after going gluten-free seems indicative. It wouldn't be useful to do further celiac testing because you are already gluten-free, though you could consider Enterolab.

As soon as you said Asian food, I wondered; as most does have wheat (soy sauce), or in other ingredients. Thai is a little better but you still have to be vigilant.

Oops, I meant Gliadin, not "Gliactin". I'm still new at this.

Even though the intolerance test I took (by Lame Advertisement) was negative, my sister --a Celiac with a biochem degree-- told me that 99% of those who get itchiness all over their body after eating gluten will test positive on the test that takes a biopsy (would that be Enterolab?).

The same food intolerance test also told me I have a mild reaction to apple, which sucks when you go out with your beer drinking friends and all you can get is hard cider.

I've been communicating in broken English with my nextdoor Asian restaurant about soy sauce and they offer an alternative to Kikkoman. I wasn't so lucky with my favorite Sushi restaurant. I had their entire kitchen trying to find a non-Kikkoman solution for me, but with little luck.

Join eNewsletter

My doctor told me that celiacs is in 1-2% of the population, if a blood relative has celiacs it increases your chances to about 21 - 22%

Also your test results would be effected by a gluten free diet as the damage to your body could have healed. I was told before my endoscopy that I had to eat gluten for a month before I would get an accurate test result.

I guess your options are to either to go back to the gluten for a while and et re tested or to stay gluten free and look out for a decrease in symptoms.

Good luck

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Join eNewsletter

I learned that lesson again today. Got itchiness all over and crashed hard for two hours.

Oops, I meant Gliadin, not "Gliactin". I'm still new at this.

Even though the intolerance test I took (by Lame Advertisement) was negative, my sister --a Celiac with a biochem degree-- told me that 99% of those who get itchiness all over their body after eating gluten will test positive on the test that takes a biopsy (would that be Enterolab?).

The same food intolerance test also told me I have a mild reaction to apple, which sucks when you go out with your beer drinking friends and all you can get is hard cider.

I've been communicating in broken English with my nextdoor Asian restaurant about soy sauce and they offer an alternative to Kikkoman. I wasn't so lucky with my favorite Sushi restaurant. I had their entire kitchen trying to find a non-Kikkoman solution for me, but with little luck.

I don't know where you are located, so this may be relevant or not. www.triumph.dining.com has ethnic dining laminated cards in many languages. It explains the gluten free diet and what to avoid when eating foreign food. I have used mine frequently at Chinese and Mexican Restaurants. They also can be found on this site.

Lisa

Join eNewsletter

My doctor told me that celiacs is in 1-2% of the population, if a blood relative has celiacs it increases your chances to about 21 - 22%

Also your test results would be effected by a gluten free diet as the damage to your body could have healed. I was told before my endoscopy that I had to eat gluten for a month before I would get an accurate test result.

I guess your options are to either to go back to the gluten for a while and et re tested or to stay gluten free and look out for a decrease in symptoms.

Good luck

After being gluten free for two months, I doubt that the villi are completely healed. Either way, I think I'm getting to the point where I don't need test results to justify my adversity to foods that make me feel like crap.

I don't know where you are located, so this may be relevant or not. www.triumph.dining.com has ethnic dining laminated cards in many languages. It explains the gluten free diet and what to avoid when eating foreign food. I have used mine frequently at Chinese and Mexican Restaurants. They also can be found on this site.

Thanks, that sounds very helpful.

I live in Austin, so fortunately there are plenty of BBQ restaurants too. I'll just stay clear of sausage. I prefer brisket anyway.

Join eNewsletter

Lucky you for living in Austin, most of the great bar be que places are gluten free. there is the Wildwood Art cafe on Bee caves Road. Chuy's will make the enchiladas for you on corn tortillas, I ate there recently & had no problem. Also, there are items you can eat at Cracker Barrell. Contact the Austin celiac group - they are very active & should have a great list of restaurants for you.

I also like to eat at pappadeaux's & the one on I35 has/had a manager whose son is celiac...

there are several other people that post here that live in Austin...

Join eNewsletter

Lucky you for living in Austin, most of the great bar be que places are gluten free. there is the Wildwood Art cafe on Bee caves Road. Chuy's will make the enchiladas for you on corn tortillas, I ate there recently & had no problem. Also, there are items you can eat at Cracker Barrell. Contact the Austin celiac group - they are very active & should have a great list of restaurants for you.

I also like to eat at pappadeaux's & the one on I35 has/had a manager whose son is celiac...

there are several other people that post here that live in Austin...

Very useful information. Thanks.

Join eNewsletter

Hey, I also took the A.L.C.A.T test. I had only been gluten free (and dairy free) for about 2 weeks, and i came up with a mild reaction to gluten and dairy, which suprised me a little - because after a month off of them, I'd not only lost my intestinal symptoms, but also headaches and depression and fatigue. I ended up calling and talking to someone there, and when I mentioned I'd been off them for a few weeks, she said, Oh, and you still reacted to them on the test - as if that was suprising. So i guess being gluten-free can affect that test.

I actually reacted to a third of the 175 food test I took - then I went to the allergist and reacted to 90% of the 60 foods he tested me for - be glad your not me!

I wonder if the biopsy you were told about was for the skin rash? I've heard about that here.

Obviously, if you feel so much better, who cares about the tests, do your best to avoid the gluten. I like your drinking guide! And last thing - about the editing job - apparently someone came on the boards and was advertising like mad, so they had to do that. The enterolabs test isnt affected the same way, but I guess it wasnt spammed on the boards the same way. That test supposedly works even if you arent eating gluten, but involves poo . .. not a selling pt for me . ..

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter