Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiaction

Wheat In Cat Food!

A prior topic on wheat in cat litter prompted my to look also at my cat's food and sure enough there it is. I have been "gluten-free" or so I thought for years, but unable to get beyond feeling positively poisoned in the last six months. Hopefully, this was the cause. Does anyone know of some quality, wheat-free dry cat food? Also, I wonder if my cat Toby has a problem with gluten. He sleeps too much and seems to have arthritis in his shoulders.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Click here for a post I made a while ago about gluten-free cat foods. The list is not complete by any means, but should be helpful. Scroll down to see my reply to the topic.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

For what it's worth, when I asked if the new cat food that our vet was prescibing had gluten in it, she said that she had attended a conference and said that they are seeing celiac disease in pets. I haven't checked it out but I was suprized.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I feed my cats costco cat food. Gluten free, first ingredients are actual food, not by-products.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Wellness Core. Grain free and gluten free pouch foods as well. Everything made in the US,with US suppliers, all human grade ingredients, everything listed, nothing hidden. They even source things. NOT involved with the food recall in any way. It is a high quality food and my cat loves it! Which is amazing as she was a feral cat who adopted us (she is now tame) and usually only wants, er.. "fresh" things.... lol!

Wellness Core. Go here:http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_index.html

They also make gluten free for dogs. I use California Natural (also gluten-free, one of my dogs has every known intolerance possible, lol!) and Wellness Core Canine. Never have had any problems! I hope this helps! Once again, Wellness Core, California Natural.

Kit'n'Kaboodle only has corn gluten, I'm pretty sure. Some flavors of Friskies are gluten free, the Seafood Sensation flavor and Signature Blend.

But double check to make sure. I checked a few months ago and now just grab those flavors without looking.

I do think the cat is healthier now. He used to throw up all the time, but now it's pretty infrequent.