This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Fitness

MDRB

MDRB Explorer

Hi,

I used to be a big runner, but haven't done much exercise for a year and a half because I've been so sick. I have been gluten free for about 6 weeks, my stomach symptoms have mostly gone but I am still quite lethargic and getting the brain fog. I am itching to start running again, my questions are:

Is it safe for me to start running again?

Is it better to rest until I am well, or do I need to push myself to get back to normal fitness?

When can I start running again?

How can I build up my fitness?

Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest hightop girl

I was very tired all of the time because I was also extremely anemic. I had to have two iron infusions and I am still checked frequently as well as give myself B12 injections every 3 weeks. Have you had your iron levels checked. To be honest, the gluten free diet made me feel so much better, I was running before I got the iron IV. What does your doctor say?

MDRB Explorer
I was very tired all of the time because I was also extremely anemic. I had to have two iron infusions and I am still checked frequently as well as give myself B12 injections every 3 weeks. Have you had your iron levels checked. To be honest, the gluten free diet made me feel so much better, I was running before I got the iron IV. What does your doctor say?

My doctor says that I must still be healing, or getting gluten somewhere in my diet. But I'm so carfeul!!

I had blood test to check my iron levels etc the other day and haven't heard back from my doctor yet. I kinda get the feeling that she thinks I'm complaining about nothing. I also take a multivitamin every day, but maybe I'm still not getting what I need from them.

Guest hightop girl

I guess I would ask your doc if it is "safe" to go ahead and start running. Then if it is ok, just start slow and shorter distances, and build. You can always increase the distance the next run, but the recovery from a run that was too long combined with recovery from gluten is not really a fun mix. I also find that running makes some of my symptoms worse (bloating and D) but I always feel like at least it is getting my recovery "moving", especially after being glutened. When I have been glutened, I feel a little like I am at the mercy of the universe, and running makes me feel like I can still control something. Be patient with the recovery. I tried to be careful, then realized I was still getting gluten in small amounts. As I am figuring out where that gluten is, I am healing and am less and less tired.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

When I have been glutened, I feel a little like I am at the mercy of the universe, and running makes me feel like I can still control something.

LOL, I like that ... and I agree !

I run and it is a great escape. There is no reason to use celiacs as an excuse not to exercise BUT do make sure your ducks are in a row, so to speak. Iron levels & B12 are important, right ? And yes, running can make the big D a problem if you have been glutened. I dont' run the morning after a glutening ever since I had to find a bush during one such run. :( As for bloating, I find activity actually helps, as well as with fatigue & mild joint pain. Also, I find that activity makes me want to eat more healthy and really, the celiac diet is pretty healthy...though it sucks not to be able to eat certain mainstream foods.

MDRB Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for replying!

I went for a run this morning. I use the term loosely as I actually walked most of it :lol::rolleyes: that is how unfit I have become. I feel ok...quite tired and a little dizzy. The big C has always been more of a problem for me than the big D so I haven't had any problems in that area, actually I think it may have helped a little.

I think maybe I just need to take it slow and work myself back up to where I was before - running every morning.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I am running once in a while, but I am more into another sport than running, well actually other sports, I'm pretty versatile. But to answer your question. After going glutenfree I still had pain for about another 6 months, even though I was totally glutenfree. Of course I continued doing sports right from the day on I went glutenfree and it helped a lot getting the excess air out (or with bloating, which was already mentioned). Of course, I was still dizzy and foggy, but it got better every day slow but sure. I think, if you're healthy in general (other than the celiac), there is no reason not to continue sports/running. I actually think, it is very beneficial in the healing process and gets the toxins faster out of your body. Just continue taking your vitamins and everything else, you're taking to maintain your health.

Hugs to you, Stef and Lukas

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
RunnerGrl Newbie

Yippppeee!

Have I found some other Celiac runners? I was dx while training for my first half marathon. It certainly explains a lot about my energy levels! While I wait for the bloodwork to come back to find out what I am deficient in as the result of this, I am definitely finding it hard to fuel for runs. AND I find I am hungry all the time!! ALL the time. Need to figure this thing out so I can eat the right things to stay satisfied longer AND fuel for my running.

~Kris

• 1 month later...
gainback Newbie
My doctor says that I must still be healing, or getting gluten somewhere in my diet. But I'm so carfeul!!

I had blood test to check my iron levels etc the other day and haven't heard back from my doctor yet. I kinda get the feeling that she thinks I'm complaining about nothing. I also take a multivitamin every day, but maybe I'm still not getting what I need from them.

If you are really tired, you are still geting some gluten in your system from somewhere, you have B12 or Vit K deficiency either way they are all fixable.

Just a quick note, you might want to check your multivitamins are Gluten Free, go to your nearest health shop and have a talk with the staff they maybe able to suggest vitamins that help. I had a similar issue myself and didn't realise till recently that my multivitamins had gluten in it. You might want to check for other allergies such as lactose.

And like most exercises, take one step and build from that.

I hope that helps

gfp Enthusiast

I'd say go ahead ... and to coin a phrase 'knock yourself out'.

Obviously you need to eat correctly... but the running should stimulate that and allow you to get extra nutrients while not worrying so much about calories etc.

I find when I exersize I quite naturally eat better .. because your thinking in terms of nutrition and what you need to get up and do whatever exersize you choose. Also after a couple of weeks you'll find yourself getting into a routine and begin to look forwards to the exersize.

Or more accurately just keep up what you're doing and gradually get back to the point where you can run again...

Heather22 Rookie

Hi Michelle,

I don't know if I can answer all your questions, but I can give you my thoughts, and how I pulled through the worst times.

I was diagnosed when I was ~20 years old, and was an avid runner at the time. It took me a good few years to feel "normal" again. Some days I was too bloated, in pain, or too weak to think about running, so those days I would not go out. I would just listen to your body. If you feel like running, give it a go. However also realize that your immune system is still compromised, so you don't want to over-do it. If you listen closely enough, your body will tell you what to do. While some may argue for you to take it easy and not to run until you are fully healed, I don't think that is realistic....especially for a person with a runner's personality. Exercise was the one thing that always made me feel better and in control of my body.

Give your body some time to get used the diet. You may start to feel better, or you may not. If not, keep experimenting. It took me a very long time until I found the perfect balance of foods in my diet. There are many resources, discussions and support on this forum that you may find helpful. Don't give up.

Years later, I am still an avid runner and racing in a triathlons (Half Ironman next week!). I hope everyone realizes that you can still be a great athlete with Celiac disease.

Keep us posted. Happy running!

Heather : )

• 1 month later...
Slush Newbie

Hi,

I was also an avid runner, doing 50+ miles per week and training for marathons. I began have achilles tendon pain, followed by ankle and foot pain and generalized pain in my lower legs. All the tests by my sports medicine doctor (bone scan, MRI, compartment syndrome testing) were negative. Eventually, my running injury led to my celiac diagnosis in April 2008. I have been gluten-free since then but still get some ankle pain and tightness and pain in my achilles and to the outside of my calf muscles. I have also noticed that my feet fall asleep easier than usual. Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Do you think the symptoms will EVER remit and how long do I have to wait?

I am currently running about 20 miles a week but certainly not pain free.

Thanks,

Kelly

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I found my incidences of pains & aches went down dramatically when I went gluten-free. I also bought good shoes (I wear Asics 2120 at the moment since I pronate a bit). I used to get hip bursitis and plantar fasciitis regularly and it was quite painful. Sometimes the outside of my knee would hurt as well. Now I run almost pain free and a lot more. I'm not sure whether my body has adjusted or my cross training has helped. I do weight training with lots lunges and squats combined with arm movements - I think that helps train all those stabilizing muscles.

I guess all I'm getting at is - look at your training, your shoes, your rest schedule, & diet (not just gluten-free). Runners in general have to be careful and find the optimal training program for themselves, pretty individualized. It may not even be a celiac thing. Of course, you will want to be careful with the gluten too and be very sure you are cutting it all out. I had forgotten about the feet falling asleep thing because I don't get that anymore (and my arm when sleeping). You are fairly new in your diagnosis - have you de-glutened you kitchen ? Do you have your own gluten free kitchen items, such as pots, pans, muffin tins, strainers, etc. ? Are you truly gluten free ? It took me quite awhile to nail down the diet and cross contamination issues !

I love running so much - it is truly my escape & stress buster.

FWIW, my hip bursitis does flare up occasionally, usually with overtraining, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Archived