Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paytons_mom

How To Tell If Something Is Safe?

Hello

Just wondering a few things. I am realizing how hard this diet can be. I am new to it because my 2 1/2 year old just was diagnosed 2 months ago. So i thought i would ask a few question to clear things up in my head.

1.) Can you assume if it is not on the label that it is safe? How do you know if there is CC. Should we always call the company when it is the first time having something?

2.)Are toubie hams and octoberfest sausages safe?

3.)Are there certain shampoo, lotion, tooth paste she should be using?

4.) does she have to use specific chocolate chips?

5.) Should i let her have candies, jellybeans, suckers if there isnt a label?

I could ask so many more but i wont bother you guys to much... Any help would eb greatly appreciated.. I am starting to freak out a lil.

Thanks Again

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello

Just wondering a few things. I am realizing how hard this diet can be. I am new to it because my 2 1/2 year old just was diagnosed 2 months ago. So i thought i would ask a few question to clear things up in my head.

1.) Can you assume if it is not on the label that it is safe? How do you know if there is CC. Should we always call the company when it is the first time having something?

I could ask so many more but i wont bother you guys to much... Any help would eb greatly appreciated.. I am starting to freak out a lil.

Thanks Again

Nicole

----I never assume unless I know the company's reputation--companies like Kraft and ConAgra will clearly list gluten. I call companies all the time. I also base what I buy on how good the customer service is. I can usually tell if they don't know what they're talking about and then I won't take the chance.

---??? I buy the Applegate natural hot dogs from whole foods. We have a local sausage vendor here that is SOOO great and they don't use any gluten

----We use Suave for kids, Johnson&Johnson and Burt's Bees products. We use Crest toothpaste. Suave will list gluten and Burt's has a list of all their gluten-free products.

---I buy TollHouse or the other giant bag at Costco (not sure of brand but I know it's OK)

--I NEVER let my kids have something if it doesn't have a label. Made that mistake only 1 time and paid for it for 2 days. My dd was soooo sick! They get really ticked off in the beginning, but as they get used to it, I just have to tell them "It's not safe" and they throw it in the garbage by themselves.

I could ask so many more but i wont bother you guys to much...

---That's what we're all here for!! Ask away!!! ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)