Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marisaerin

Help! Gluten Free/dairy Free Chicken Parmigiana

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with celiac disease September 2007. I am craving chicken parmigiana and was wondering if anyone knew what would be a good choice of gluten free flour to make the breaded chicken? Also, what are the best brands of soy cheese? I've got the sauce covered. Amy's family marinara sauce is delicious!

thanks!

-Marisa(diagnosed with celiac disease september 2007)

-Gluten free/Lactose free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with celiac disease September 2007. I am craving chicken parmigiana and was wondering if anyone knew what would be a good choice of gluten free flour to make the breaded chicken? Also, what are the best brands of soy cheese? I've got the sauce covered. Amy's family marinara sauce is delicious!

thanks!

Actually, my mother bought Erewhon gluten free rice krispy cereal and crunched that up for the coating on some fried chicken, it was AWESOME. Can't help you with the cheese, I'm not dairy free. You might try the cashew 'parmesan' cheese, not really a good idea to go crazy with the soy right now.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Vegan Gourmet comes in a mozarella style.

For breading we use several options. Gillian's makes plain and italian. My husband says they are hard but I don't care that much. We also process EnerG tapioca loaf in the food processor and freeze for a panko style fresh bread brumbs. Use straight from the freezer. The result after frying is a lighter, crisp coating.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Sorry I can't help with the cheese--I'm dairy and soy free <_<

But....our favorite chicken coating is instant potato flakes (I use Potato Buds) with a generous amount of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in a beaten egg first--if you can't do eggs, you can use rice milk or even water.

Welcome to the board and enjoy your chicken parm :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

While vegan gourmet is the best vegan cheese i've seen, I stronly recomend you taste it before cooking with it. Taste it cold and melted. I've ruined otherwise good meals by adding one ingredient that I coulndt stand the taste of. I have liked the soy parmesan for adding some cheesy flavor, but . . . that gooey thing is just hard to replace.

There are lots of things you can coat chicken with, tho. You can make or buy gluten-free bread and crumb it yourself, I've used the 'veggie chips' in the blender, but they give a slightly green tinge. For myself, recently, I've just been using corn meal (locally stone ground, admittedly) and I was suprised how nice it was.

Good luck.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

thankyou for all your help! these are great ideas! :D

-Marisa(diagnosed with celiac disease september 2007)

-Gluten free/Lactose free

thankyou for all your help! these are great ideas! :D

I always coat my baked chicken with crushed pork rinds, I use the Cuissinart to grind them up. Learned this from Atkins Diet. It may sound wierd, but it tastes better to me than other coatings I've tried.