This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Help!

Westerngirl

Westerngirl Newbie

I've been gluten-free for about a year and half, after developing a life threatening allergy to gluten. I go into anaphaylaxis when I eat even the smallest bit. I've been able to manage up until now and cope pretty well, but I'm having problems now. I'm in college and am developing unhealthy eating habits, out of convience and lack of time. Does anybody have any tips on how to create meals that don't take much time, don't need to be refrigerated and are actually healthy? I hope these don't sound like weird questions to ask.

Also, I'm unsure about how to tell my friends about this allergy or why I am so insistent at restaurants about the ingredients of foods and about cross contamination. I've only told my closest friends and people who need to know about my allergy in case I get sick, but some of them freak out and then act really weird about it. Any ideas?

I'm so glad that I found this discussion board. Nobody seems to understand how difficult it actually is to live gluten free. They just tell me, it can't be that hard, get over it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eNviroKid88 Newbie

Hi, I've got few suggestions (and nothing is a weird question on this forum). If you're looking for easy to prepare food that can be found in the average grocery store, "Hormel" makes gluten free canned chili, and a microwave chicken and rice dinner. Also, "Delimex" beef taquitos make a good meal. Also, "Ener-G foods (advertised on this site) makes good tapioca flour or brown rice flour based breads for a quick sandwich. Being in college, pizza is a neccesity,so look around healthfood stores for a gluten free pizza or crust.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

pele Rookie
Does anybody have any tips on how to create meals that don't take much time, don't need to be refrigerated and are actually healthy? I hope these don't sound like weird questions to ask.

It must be rough to be in college with everyone around you eat sub sandwiches, pizza and the like.

How about trying rice cakes and peanut butter? Or trail mix? I'd suggest making your own from a combo of nuts, seeds and dried fruit that you like and you are sure have no been treated with flour. Canned sardines or tuna? Hard boiled eggs and a banana?

Welda Johnson Newbie

Hi,

Boy, I thought it was bad to get asthma and start wheezing whenever I ate gluten--I feel for you, having anaphylaxis as a result of eating gluten! I've dealt with this problem since I was 8 and am now 63 so I hope I can help. I also went to college and faced what you are in terms of eating with other people and feeling strange, but as time has gone by I have let all that go, and just realize that others really don't know that much about Celiac, so I can be their guide. Who knows? Maybe you will help someone else find out they have Celiac too. 1 of every 133 Americans is said to have Celiac, whether they know it or not.

I am intolerant of all grains, all milk and dairy, egg whites, yeast, casein, whey, etc. I now eat vegan, which means I've eliminated everything except fruits and vegetables (I eat corn, soy, beans, etc.), and I feel great, but I've put together a recipe book for my family members. I will share this with you.

1. Pamela's cookies 2. Mi-Del cookies 3. Ener-G yeast-free gluten-free bread 4. Vegan Gourmet soy cheese 5. Corn & rice pastas 6. Red Mill gluten-free mixes (brownies, cakes, etc.) 7. Almond Milk

8. Soy Milk 9. Rice Milk 10. Popcorn 11. rice cakes 12. Vegennaise Mayonnaise 13. Earth Balance Margarine 14. Van's gluten-free Waffles 15. Cream of Rice cereal

16. Doritos Corn Chips (not cheese) 17. Fritos 18. Tortilla Chips 19. Hershey's Unsweetened Chocolate 20. Hershey's Powdered Cocoa 21. Hershey's Chocolate Syrup 22. Dennison's Chili

23. Prego Spaghetti Sauce 24. dried fruits 25. corn tortillas = tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas

26. refried beans 27. Dennison's Chili 28. corn flour, rice flour, etc. 29. Fruits 30. Vegetables

31. Enjoy Life Granola and Cookies

I hope this helps you! Please feel free to email me at welda@att.net if you need some encouragement and help. I thank God for this site and for those who have helped me. Always, Welda

sneezydiva Apprentice

I'm sorry. Being in college, it must really be tough. Next time one of your friends says "it can't be that hard" challenge them to do it for just a week. That should shut them up.

Anyway, Do you have a fridge in your room? If you can have a little insulated lunch bag, you can keep some things in your room, and then pack them in the insulated bag. All kinds of fruit. Also, tortilla chips, raw veggies and hummus. Cheese sticks.

RiceGuy Collaborator

If you have a microwave, toaster-oven, or buffet burner (like a mini stove that plugs into a regular power outlet), it opens up a lot of possibilities. Can you get a mini fridge, or even a cooler that you can use for short-term storage? There are electric coolers which are small enough to slip under a bed, and though they don't keep food as cold as a regular fridge, many foods would be fine for a day or two.

As for getting friends to understand, that can be tough, as you already know. Since most people seem to get the idea of someone being allergic to cats, pollen, peanuts, etc, perhaps it might help to use those as examples.

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I definitly feel for you. I'm also in college and people REALLY REALLY dont understand. They understand the "intolerance" part to a certain degree, but they dont understand the foods I can eat. they are just like "oh that sux, hey, wanna go out for some beers and pizza tonight?" I even had a friend tell me this once after I told him I cant drink beer anymore: "it doesnt matter, its the same as a diabetic drinking pop all night" :huh::o I've come to realize through this who my real friends are. If they tell me to just "suck it up" they obviously dont care about my health, or really dont realize what I go through when I consume gluten. People have beenbacking away from me since I discovered gluten was making me sick. They were happy I finally found out the cause to my sickness, but now that they are sick of me bringing the topic up and think I complain all the time, I dont, its just that I have to keep re-teeling them what makes me sick. they dont get it...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfpaperdoll Rookie

"Hormel" makes gluten free canned chili, and a microwave chicken and rice dinner. Also, "Delimex" beef taquitos make a good meal.

The only Hormel Chili that is gluten-free is the one WITH BEANS

I am not sure about the Delimex beef taquitos - I thought only the chicken ones were gluten-free - be sure to read the label...

cpicini Rookie

I can only imagine how tough it must being dealing with Celiac and in college. The first thing I'd say is stop worrying about what other people think. Worry about yourself first. Anyone that has an issue with your condition isn't worth your friendship.

In addition to all the great ideas on the other posts I would suggest Ensure. It's gluten free and fills you up. It's not that cheap depending where you shop. I find that the supermaket is cheaper then a drug store. The milk chocolate taste good and they fill you up. I'm a big guy (6'4" and 300lb) and one ensure gets me by a couple of hours. Just be careful, they are high in calories even thought they are only 8oz.

good luck, and don't let this ruin your college experience.

mammajamma Rookie

I was going to suggest Ensure as well. I don't know what they sell where you live but all Boar's Head deli meats etc. are gluten free... each day I pack a few slices of turkey or ham and a couple of slices of cheese (I ask them to slice it thick so it's easier to roll up) and I have it with some fruit and rice crackers for lunch at work.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I have some advice. Any gluten-free replacement product you buy, make sure you keep the receipt and only buy one at a time, because some of it is outrageously awful. Most of us think the Ener-g rice and tapioca breads are only good for building material. Ok, they make a decent turkey stuffing, but that's it. You definitely can't eat it straight. So, never trust that anything gluten-free you buy will be good and go stocking up, always try one first.

mammajamma Rookie

I agree that the bread is kind of nasty if you eat it cold... but it's OK if you toast it and eat it while it's still warm... not great for sandwiches though!

Westerngirl Newbie
I have some advice. Any gluten-free replacement product you buy, make sure you keep the receipt and only buy one at a time, because some of it is outrageously awful. Most of us think the Ener-g rice and tapioca breads are only good for building material. Ok, they make a decent turkey stuffing, but that's it. You definitely can't eat it straight. So, never trust that anything gluten-free you buy will be good and go stocking up, always try one first.

I don't stock up on products unless I've bought them before and are actually edible. I agree that the Ener-g tapioca break is pretty gross. I only bought it once because I was out of bread and it was on sale. I only ate it because it seemed like a waste to throw away an entire loaf of bread. I've only been able to find one brand of bread that you can actually eat straight, but it's from a local company. This company has a gluten-free raisin bread and it is pretty good.

cpicini Rookie

Since the topic of bread came up I have a recomendation. If you live in the North East there is company called Against the Grain Gourmet (www.againstthegraingourmet.com). Their products can be found in Whole Foods in about 14 NE States. I have to say this has been a god send. The original rolls are the only product I've had and that's becasue there's no reason to try anything else. They are expensive at 4 rolls for about $8 but it's so worth it to be able to have a sandwich or burger. They don't ship but I would suggest that you check out the website as they seem to be trying to gain national distribution. Note that I have no interest in this company at all, I just really love the product and you will probably agree. I've gotten my local health food store to carry this bread as the nearest Whole Foods is about 35 miles away from where I live. With the price of gas and gluten-free rolls I'm gonna be poor.

Archived