Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katester

What Are These?

Okay,

So this is going to sound sort of stupid.

But what are nightshades?

And I know legumes are beans but what else is under that category?

I've read about people living without those and never really knew what they were.

Hehehe.

:)

symptoms-october 5th, 2007

negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007

positive bloodwork-january 2008

diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The Solanaceae is a family of flowering plants, many of which are edible, while others are poisonous (some have both edible and toxic parts). The name of the family comes from the Latin Solanum "the nightshade plant", but the further etymology of that word is unclear; it has been suggested it originates from the Latin verb solari, meaning "to soothe". This would presumably refer to alleged soothing pharmacological properties of some of the psychoactive species found in the family. It is more likely, however, that the name comes from the perceived resemblance that some of the flowers bear to the sun and its rays, and in fact a species of Solanum (Solanum nigrum) is known as the sunberry.

The family is also informally known as the nightshade or potato family. The family includes the Datura or Jimson weed, eggplant, mandrake, deadly nightshade or belladonna, capsicum (paprika, chili pepper), potato, tobacco, tomato, and petunia.

The Solanaceae family is characteristically ethnobotanical, that is, extensively utilized by humans. It is an important source of food, spice and medicine. However, Solanaceae species are often rich in alkaloids that can range in their toxicity to humans and animals from mildly irritating to fatal in small quantities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

IMHO the term "nightshades" is just a "scare name"... I'm not saying they are not toxic or bad for us but calling them "Potato" family would carry less weight.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

And I know legumes are beans but what else is under that category?

Beans and peas are legumes. That is, they grow in pods. Lentils are typically referred to as pulses, and are also a legume.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I am intolerant to nightshades. Meaning that I can't eat potatoes, tomatoes, peppers (any kind) and eggplant. Tobacco belongs to the nightshades as well.

I seem to have no problem with green beans and peas (as long as I don't eat them all the time), but don't do so well with the dried varieties, like white beans or kidney beans.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the process of cutting out all legumes. I have neuro symptoms and am following the MS recovery diet even though I do not have MS. Anything that can heal my nerves sounds good to me. Anyway, the diet cuts out gluten, dairy, legumes, eggs and yeast. I am already gluten-free and DF. So now I am cutting the rest.

In my research I discovered that virtually ALL of the cinnamon sold in the US is actually Cassia which is a LEGUME. And Licorice is a legume. I didnt know this. So I have ordered some "real cinnamon" because I do love the taste.

Here is a list of legumes. It is not all inclusive because it doesnt list every bean/pea. But it points out some that you might not be aware of:

Legume:Acacia; Acacia Gum; Alfalfa; Arabic; Black-eyed pea; Carob; Carob (St. John's Bread); Cassia; Chick Pea; Field Pea; Green Bean; Green Pea; Guar gum; Jack bean; Karaya Gum; Kidney bean; Lentil; Licorice; Lima bean; Locust Bean Gum; Mungo Bean; Navy Bean; Peanut; Peanut oil; Pinto Bean; Soybean; Soybean oil/flour/lecithin; Split Pea; String Bean; Talca Gum; Tamarind; Tonka bean; Tragancanth Gum; Urd Flour.

Some that surprised me: Acacia, Guar Gum, Cinnamon and Licorice.

I bought real cinnamon here:

http://www.druera.com/shopping/product_inf...products_id=108

But it is a little cheaper here and you can buy smaller quantaties:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-p...oncinnamon.html

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

IMHO the term "nightshades" is just a "scare name"... I'm not saying they are not toxic or bad for us but calling them "Potato" family would carry less weight.

i was recently prescribed to bella donna alkaloids with PB tablets, anyone have any experience with this...the above notion scares me, and makes me want to stay away....but with my symptoms the medicine may be able to help...

-Diagnosed Celiac 2002/ Gluten free ever since.

-Diagnosed Osteopenia Oct. 2008. (from DXA scan)

-Diagnosed S.I.B.O. March 2009 (Hydrogen Breath Test) Xifaxan worked-

-S.I.B.O. Symptoms return-June 2010