Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StevenLy

Hi Everyone,

I found out last week, through a blood test, that I have celiac. I'm 26 and my doctor just informed me via a phone call to stop eating gluten. I don't think he has much experience with celiacs and doesn't have much information. It seems like this disease usually affects those of European decent, so is it strange that I am an Asian male that has been diagnosed. I don't know how all of a sudden I can have this when I have eaten foods with gluten all my life. I live in Southern California, does anyone know of a doctor or place I can go to get more information? Is this something I can die from? I'm pretty scared at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

First of all welcome!

Anyone can get Celiac regardless of their ancestry. There is just a stronger link to certain ethnicities. Did he do a biopsy? Not that you need it because a positive blood test is POSITIVE....PERIOD. But a biopsy will tell how your intestines are doing and how much damage you have. You may wish to consult with a gastroenterologist (sp?).

With that said, you will need to follow a strict gluten free diet regardless of whether you have a biopsy or results of a biopsy. Do you have symptoms? Once you go on the diet, you should see some clear up soon enough and hopefully all of them with time. This will also tell you what you need to know without a doubt.

Even if you DO NOT have symptoms, damage is being done. It can lead to a wide variety of autoimmune diseases like Diabetes type 1, MS, etc. And celiacs have a much higher rate of various cancers. You can have the same risk of those cancers as everyone else by following the gluten-free diet.

I have found this site a great resource.

The easiest way to go gluten-free is to eat simply. Think paleolithic type diet. Meats, veggies, fruit and nuts. However, most can eat the gluten-free grains like rice, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.

I hope this helps. I am new to it too. 6 weeks in. But I have learned A LOT on this site plus tons of surfing. Knowledge is key!

Shay

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Hi Everyone,

I found out last week, through a blood test, that I have celiac. I'm 26 and my doctor just informed me via a phone call to stop eating gluten. I don't think he has much experience with celiacs and doesn't have much information. It seems like this disease usually affects those of European decent, so is it strange that I am an Asian male that has been diagnosed. I don't know how all of a sudden I can have this when I have eaten foods with gluten all my life. I live in Southern California, does anyone know of a doctor or place I can go to get more information? Is this something I can die from? I'm pretty scared at the moment. Thanks in advance.

My doctor didnt tell me anything either. To get some info google celiac disease and everyone on this site is very helpful too! You wont die, but you need to stay away from wheat/gluten which is in everything. I had been eating wheat my whole life up until Otcober of last year, I got sick from eating chicken and was never the same after that. There are multiple things that can trigger Celiac, but it is a genetic disease. Inform your immediate family because you picked it up some where.

I have been doing so much research and yes it can be over whelming. You will be ok. I am in So Cal too, is there a Henrys by you? That store is fantastic and I have a lot of good receipes if you are interested. Just say bye bye to fast food =)

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

I suspect a lot of the problem is in the wheat itself. It has been so meddled about with and now with the advent of GM who knows what they are doing to it!

It has been getting worse through the successive generations. Now apparently in the States 35% of the population have the genes for it. The genetic modification of the wheat and other gluten grains has probably resulted in genetically modifying us to be unable to cope with it!

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Hi Steven

Celaic disease and gluten intolerance are very common, but appartently no one's told the doctors yet!

Here is a link to an informative video on youtube from U of Cal. It's 90 minutes long and well worth the time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QR2LvQmoF1Y

You might also want to pick up a copy of Dr. Peter Green's book Celiac Disease: a Hidden Epidemic

Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed

Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.