This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Orange Allergy!

monkeypuss

monkeypuss Rookie

as well as my probable celiacs, i also cant eat oranges..and the other day i discovered i cant eat peaches either! (bad eczema if i do) i was just wondered if anyone knew what could be in both these things that could cause it? my friend suggested its what makes food have an orange colour, but i'm fine with carrots and stuff! :P

its too bad my favorite drink is orange juice :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Here's something I picked up online about citrus allergies.. Peaches can contain some of the same properties as citrus.

Do you have problems with lemons and limes etc.?

Good luck

Citrus

Citric acid intolerance is not the same as citrus allergy. Citrus allergy sufferers respond to substances specific to citrus fruits such as limonene or specific proteins found in the fruits, whereas citric acid intolerant people react only to citric acid, which is found in a number of fruits and even some vegetables, and is used as a food additive.

Citric acid intolerance is not a "true" food allergy - that is, it's not an autoimmune response to a chemical in food. Intolerances occur when the body lacks some chemical or enzyme necessary for it to properly digest a particular substance

Geographic tongue, also known as benign migratory glossitis, erythema migrans, or continental tongue, is a condition affecting the tongue. The colloquial names are due to the condition resembling a map. The topside of the tongue is covered in small protrusions called papillae. In a tongue affected by geographic tongue, there are red patches on the surface of the tongue bordered by grayish white. The papillae are missing from the reddish areas and overcrowded in the grayish white borders. The small patches may disappear and reappear in a short period of time (hours or days), and change in shape or size. While it is not common for the condition to cause pain, it may cause a burning or stinging sensation, especially after contact with certain foods, such as spicy or citrus foods. Chemicals, such as mouthwashes and teeth whiteners, can also aggravate the condition. Geographic tongue may also cause numbness. Co-existence of fissures of the tongue is often noticed.

Contact with citrus peel can also cause a reaction in some people.

as well as my probable celiacs, i also cant eat oranges..and the other day i discovered i cant eat peaches either! (bad eczema if i do) i was just wondered if anyone knew what could be in both these things that could cause it? my friend suggested its what makes food have an orange colour, but i'm fine with carrots and stuff! :P

its too bad my favorite drink is orange juice :P

• 3 months later...
BridgetJones Rookie

I have just discovered I have a problem with oranges too. I have been coeliac for 5 years. I been off sick 2 days from eating an orange. It feels like I have an alien in my guts trying to get out and then diarhea. I am staying off oranges for sure.....

RiceGuy Collaborator

There have been threads saying something about citrus in connection to candida, though I haven't researched to see if there's really anything to it. But I do know yeast overgrowth can cause eczema.

Interesting about the tongue stuff. I've been wondering, as I always had something similar. However, since going gluten-free, it almost gone! I thought I'd be stuck with that forever.

Thankfully, no reaction to oranges or other citrus. Unfortunately however, apples are absolutely off my list :( I don't know if I'll ever take a chance and try one. But they don't bother me if they're coked, like applesauce, etc.

Archived