Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

healthynewman

Chronic Stomach Pain--while Gluten-free

Hey All,

I was diagnosed with celiac (blood and biopsy test) 2 years ago, and felt great on a gluten-free diet for one year. I then started having stomach pain (like heartburn) and abdominal discomfort the moved around and that came and went daily. I've had scopes, CT scans, and test for H. pylori and all are negative. Doctors ran out of ideas, other than acid blockers which often made symptoms worse.

I tried going on a simple foods diet to eliminate typical allergic foods (soy, dairy, etc.) and nothing seemed to help. Then the symptoms went away, more or less, for a few months. Now syptoms are back, and even more persistent (daily for over a month). I am super strict with my diet (eating non-allergenic food like rice, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, hormone/ antibiotic-free chicken) and getting no relief. Dinner parties are not so fun, as I bring my own food and don't drink any alcohol or coffee.

I've also tried ranitidine for acid with no results. I feel like stress may play a factor in the symptoms, but not sure. Considering acupuncture and herbal remedies.

Thanks for letting me rant--I am really frustrated. I appreciate any advice.

Kurt

diagnosed 9/06 celiac

biopsy/blood

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Kurt, you may have LOW stomach acid, which obviously acid blockers would make only worse. Try eating more protein and fat for a while, along with very low carbohydrate intake.

Your problem may be that you eat too many high-carb gluten-free replacement foods. They will cause me to have acid reflux as well.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...-treatment.aspx

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could also test with HCL tablets. Take 1 with a protein meal and see if you feel better or no response at all. If you feel better, you can take them for while until your body readjusts. If you get no response, next meal take 2. You will know you have taken too much if your stomach burns a bit and you taste acid. Simply drink some baking soda (1 tsp) in warm water to make that go away.

This happened to me years ago and the HCL was a lifesaver. I had to take 3 with any protein meal. Over time I gradually reduced until I discontinued. No symptoms eating protein.

Do not take with carbohydrate only meals.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I have been under a great deal of stress lately and started getting really severe pains mostly right sided pain even when I just drank water. I don't know if it would help you but I went back to my digestive enzymes and it helped with the first dose. I tried some pepto, the thing I usually take for stomach pain and it didn't help at all that is why I did a last ditch clutching at straws trip back to enzymes. I was actually surprised that it helped and don't know if it would help you but thought it worth mentioning.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Healthynewman,

Has your doctor considered performing a capsule endoscopy (pill cam)? Our histories/symptoms are not exact but remarkably similar.

Because of renewed symptoms I had colonoscopy/endoscopy a few weeks ago. The endoscopy biopsy showed sprue damage (villous atrophy) even though I have been strictly gluten free for 2 1/2 years. (Lab work verified that I am successfully gluten free through an absence of antigliadin antibodies at this time.)

Earlier this week, I had a capsule endoscopy so that my dr. could view the 20-25 feet of small intestine that can't be reached with a scope.

Just a thought....

Not to scare you or anything, but celiacs are at higher risk (especially if undiagnosed for a long period of time) for B-cell lymphoma. Did your doctor already rule that out?

Many people here have issues either on top of celiac, or that cause gluten intolerance, such as Lyme Disease, mercury toxicity, and systemic yeast infections.

The capsule endoscopy sounds like a good idea.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well--hope it gets better soon!

Hey All,

I was diagnosed with celiac (blood and biopsy test) 2 years ago, and felt great on a gluten-free diet for one year. I then started having stomach pain (like heartburn) and abdominal discomfort the moved around and that came and went daily. I've had scopes, CT scans, and test for H. pylori and all are negative. Doctors ran out of ideas, other than acid blockers which often made symptoms worse.

I tried going on a simple foods diet to eliminate typical allergic foods (soy, dairy, etc.) and nothing seemed to help. Then the symptoms went away, more or less, for a few months. Now syptoms are back, and even more persistent (daily for over a month). I am super strict with my diet (eating non-allergenic food like rice, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, hormone/ antibiotic-free chicken) and getting no relief. Dinner parties are not so fun, as I bring my own food and don't drink any alcohol or coffee.

I've also tried ranitidine for acid with no results. I feel like stress may play a factor in the symptoms, but not sure. Considering acupuncture and herbal remedies.

Thanks for letting me rant--I am really frustrated. I appreciate any advice.

Kurt

diagnosed 9/06 celiac

biopsy/blood

Hey there...any results???

I have been gluten-free for 1.5 years. I have been miserable this past week. Pain, burning, nausea and headache. I have taken Prevacid, Zofran (nauseau) NOTHING helps. I feel weak and fatigued.

I am grasping for straws!

Shannon

Shannon...could you have picked up a bug?

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Hey Shannon,

I've appreciated all of the feedback from many people. I am going to talk with a naturopath here in Portland today and get some guidance. I have limited my diet down to rice, quinoa, brocolli and a couple other items. No luck though. I am taking probiotics and trying other avenues, but I really don't have a solid game plan yet.

Keep talking with others, and arm yourself with info. And be your own advocate when you see doctors. That's my advice for you today. Good Luck and keep positive,

Kurt

Hey there...any results???

I have been gluten-free for 1.5 years. I have been miserable this past week. Pain, burning, nausea and headache. I have taken Prevacid, Zofran (nauseau) NOTHING helps. I feel weak and fatigued.

I am grasping for straws!

Shannon

I had the exact same problem and still kind of do but it's getting better. My doctor figured out that my body was starving and wasn't getting enough food. My stomach isn't used to having the normal amount of food in it which means whenever I eat anything it has a hard time processing the food. If I eat more than usual, I feel horrible. I don't know if this could be possible for you also but it's just a thought. Ensures have helped a ton. Hope you feel better!

symptoms-october 5th, 2007

negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007

positive bloodwork-january 2008

diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."