Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrose

Should I Go Dairy Free?

I start the gluten-free diet in 4 days, I have seen conflicting opinions about if Celiac and Lactose intolerance allways go together. I was thinking of doing the Gluten free for 3 months, and then if there was not enough or no improvement to stop the dairy as well. Is this the right way to start?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If I were you I'd go dairy-free from the start.

Better than wishing you had later on.

Many celiacs find they're fine w/ dairy w/in 6mos.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Hi;

Yes , I took out Dairy and Soy as well.

I really make sure that all my Food is Gluten Free and Peanut, tree nut, Fish,Shell Fish , Honey free and that they are not CC'd Crossed Contaminated in a Facility that produces these foods.

I do not worry about CC with Dairy and Soy definatly Gluten. ( that is the recommendation of my Nutrisionist).

I would make sure that you are not having food allergies as well , You might want to get tested by an Allergist.

gluten-free/CF 5/8/08

Multiple food Allergies

Chemicle Sensitivity Syndrom

I suposedly have IBS

Psilly page member

Crohns

Celiac (duh)

"My llamas are in me head... "

-Llama`Llady

What ever you decide to do, what I would NOT recommend you do is replace a lot of your gluten foods with loads more dairy! Some people make that mistake in the beginning. So if you decide to keep dairy in your diet for now, just stick to moderate amounts.

Pauliina

I start the gluten-free diet in 4 days, I have seen conflicting opinions about if Celiac and Lactose intolerance allways go together. I was thinking of doing the Gluten free for 3 months, and then if there was not enough or no improvement to stop the dairy as well. Is this the right way to start?

Thanks

If I were starting it all again, I would do both at once. Then if at some point you want to add milk back in, do so. IMO it is mentally easier to take it all out then test 1 at a time rather than take 1 out at a time and still not be there.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

I have to agree. I cut out dairy and gluten at the same time at first, then went back to dairy because I thought it didn't bother me. But now, I realize it does, and it's much harder this time around to wrap my head around another food I can't eat... so, do it now and stick to it for 6 mos or so. It'll be easier in the long run.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09