Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krisb

So Mad At Hersheys

I totally got glutened this past week. I bought a bag of these new dark chocolate peanut butter patties in a bag. I have been eating them every day because I am addicted. I thought I read the ingredients well but the writting was so small and I missed the wheat flour hiding on the list. It didn't have the new labeling warning on the bag. I was suprised because Hersheys is usually good with that. I always trust them. I have been suffering all week and couldn't figure out why. I was up all night last night itching like crazy. My ears were itching so bad I felt like it was in my brain. My skin has the blisters everywhere so bad. I'm just so annoyed that I missed the wheat in the ingredients and that Hersheys didn't lable it in bold or on the bottom. And that they were sooo good.

Kris -gluten intolerant, DH diagnosed without a biopsy

Mom to:

Kevin-11 food allergies, celiac

Owen-8 gluten intolerant

Alex- 5 gluten intolerant

Luke- 3/1/07 not planning on introducing gluten, still breastfeeding

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I totally got glutened this past week. I bought a bag of these new dark chocolate peanut butter patties in a bag. I have been eating them every day because I am addicted. I thought I read the ingredients well but the writting was so small and I missed the wheat flour hiding on the list. It didn't have the new labeling warning on the bag. I was suprised because Hersheys is usually good with that. I always trust them. I have been suffering all week and couldn't figure out why. I was up all night last night itching like crazy. My ears were itching so bad I felt like it was in my brain. My skin has the blisters everywhere so bad. I'm just so annoyed that I missed the wheat in the ingredients and that Hersheys didn't lable it in bold or on the bottom. And that they were sooo good.

Be sure to let them know. They may have complied with the letter of the law, but others of us have already groused about the tiny writing on the warning labels.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Unfortunately, from what you describe, Hershey complied perfectly with the FALCPA legislation.

That law requires that the top eight allergens (wheat is among them) must be disclosed by their common name either in the ingredients list or in a Contains statement in print at least as large as the ingredients list. If they do only one, they are still totally compliant and 100% legal. If they do both, they are going the extra mile.

Most companies will list key allergens in a "contains" statement, but if the allergen is named in the ingredient list they don't need to have a separate contains statement.

Always read the entire label, no matter who makes the product.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Thanks Kris. That's good to know. I can't read small print anymore with or without my glasses. I have no idea what color lipsticks I wear anymore. If it looks good enough, I use that one. :lol:

neesee