Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texas

Envelopes

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

According to the NIH it is an issue.

Excerpt from an NIH article on the attempt to make a 'gluten free' wheat-

"Genetic digestive disease wreaks havoc

Celiac disease is a genetic digestive disease and autoimmune disorder that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. Symptoms range from cramps and diarrhea to malnutrition. The disease is triggered by consumption of gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye.

Currently, the only treatment is to adopt a gluten-free diet, eliminating all wheat, rye, and barley-based foods. Making such a diet more difficult, gluten is also used as a filler or binder in many additional food and non-food items, such as deli-meats, licorice, medicines, vitamins, and even the adhesive on stamps and envelopes. "

I use a moist paper towel to wet any adhesives or get self seal envelopes.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Yes, use a glue stick but DO NOT lick the envelope =)

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

I react to tapioca starch. But you know it really does not matter what type of glue is used. Licking an envelope is just plain not attractive. Plus you risk a paper cut to your lip or tongue. Just use a glue stick or tape & you can complete the task without exposing yourself to germs or contaminants. Who knows where those envelopes have been stored. They could have been exposed to bug spray and or bugs...

I've read that it is an issue, and that it's not. I choose to play it safe and not lick envelopes--I use either a glue stick, a wet paper towel, or my husband. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I don't lick them *just in case*. I buy the envelopes that you peel-off to expose the sticky bit for my own personal use. I use scotch tape for envelopes that are sent to me that I have to use for things like bills. Although I get most of my bills online now, so I rarely have to deal with the lick-and-stick envelopes.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.