This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Grains, Nightshades, Legumes And Dairy, Sounds Familiar?

Aleksa

Aleksa Newbie

I have been lurking this forum for quite a while now and I have noticed that many people have the same intolerances as I do

That is, a lot of people cannot eat grains (including rice) nightshade legumes and dairy.

I wonder how this is possible, is it a lectin problem, do we share genetic make up and are we simply not build for these? Does anyone have an idea?

I would like to know whether there are more people that share my tolerances;

I can eat yam, sweet potato, squash, most seeds except sesame, walnuts, most vegetables, all meat but beef, some fish, most fruits, all oil

do you have experience with a treatment (alternative or otherwise) that you benefit from?

I use fishoil, probiotics and digestive enzymes, especially hcl benefits me

do you have other issues/diseases that may be related?

I have IBS, hormone inbalances and blood sugar issues (allergy related), I had parasites but these are gone now

I hope that people respond, I think we may learn from eachothers experiences!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Hi Aleska, welcome to the forum. I do not share many of your tolerance's even. I do however, share most of your intolerance's. I never had to give up dairy, thankfully. My intolerance's include, all grains, nightshades, cruciferous veggie's, red meat, shellfish, and red dye. For a very long time, I would not give up ricecakes. Then in January of this year, I was glutened by an OTC med, and everything changes, again. My tummy took 3 months to get over the glutening this time, I have been gluten free for 8 yrs. But, my metabolism had stopped, being glutened kicked it back into life. I lost weight, then also removed all grains, no more high fructose corn syrup, and no caffeine. I too, am very careful with sugar.

Do you know what your gene make-up is? I was recently tested and have double DQ1 genes, which in everything I have read, means "double trouble". People with DQ1 genes seem to have more intolerance's than others, and they are more inclined to have neuropathies. Which I also have.

If you aren't already, you should be taking a good multiple vitamin, I use Nature Made Woman +50....you probably need B12, most of us do---I take 3000mcg sublingual methycobalamin B12, if you aren't taking it now, you should start with 1000mcg...I also take Natrol Easy-C 500mg. Since I can have dairy, my calcium level is doing ok...you might want to have your's checked.

Feel free to email me with questions. Good luck.

ShayFL Enthusiast

We should be roommates....LOL

I am DQ1 and DQ3. Do you know yours?

Aleksa Newbie

Many thanks for your kind and insightful replies!

You both know your gene types! I am amazed, I did not know one could figure this out! where do you do that?

It is just a hypothesis, I am not sure whether the genes made me that sensitive. I hope we all find out what is causing this stuff, and even better, get healthy. As for now I am very happy and thankful that this great place exist. It is great to know I am not alone.

I do take additional vitamins including a lot of B's and calcium, so I guess I am OK in that respect. Thanks again!

AliB Enthusiast

If you read the Specific Carbohydrate Thread you will see that carbs and dairy are big problems for a lot of people, which is why the SCD works. These foods are feeding rogue parasites and/or bacteria amongst the approximately 2kgs of very imbalanced flora in our guts. Allergies or intolerances to other foods are due to the leaky gut caused by the bacteria. I have noticed time and time again that many who remove gluten, end up replacing it with lots of other high carb foods then can't figure out why they are still getting sick!

The only way to get the rogue bacteria under control is to remove their food sources, namely carbs and sugar. Sometimes, taking supplements actually makes things worse as some of the rogue bacteria may be vitamin or mineral chompers so extra supplementation only serves to make them even stronger!

All sorts of things can create the imbalance - anti-biotics kill most of the bacteria in our guts, destroying the good along with the bad and leaving the field open for the opportunistic survivors to re-populate the bowel in a malicious and highly unbalanced way. Other drugs like the Pill, NSAIDS, etc., also contribute, as does our high-carb, high-sugar Western diet which does nothing but feed the little beggars. Even bottle-feeding, or inheriting 'bad' bacteria from our mothers' breast milk if she has a gut imbalance herself, can set up an imbalanced gut right from birth! Those who do not succumb to illness have good balanced flora that supports their digestion and immune system and their liver in its detoxification process. Sadly, they are few and far between in this day and age.

On the subject of carbs, I read in the Gut and Psychology Syndrome book that testing was done in a European laboratory of some cereal brands. Apparently there was more nutrition in the cardboard box than in the cereal!!! The manufacturers know this, so they then 'fortify' the cereal with vitamins and minerals, making people think they are getting something fantastic! Unfortunately the supplementation is usually synthetic and rarely in a form that the body can use so ends up going straight down the toilet! So people end up with a bowful of nothing valuable to the body!

I am really trying to get into the SCD as I know it is the only way I am going to get better. It is having great success with so many health problems, both physical and mental, so much so that I would encourage anyone to follow it. No it isn't particularly easy, simply because we are so programmed into 'quick and junk' and SCD needs time for prep and presentation, but it is so worth all the extra effort.

• 2 weeks later...
MissyMae1 Newbie

I am new to this site and to forums! But I am hoping to find some hope and help here! Although I have not been diagnosed as being a Celiac! I have had Psoriasis for 19 years! As I get older it seems to only get worse with no relief! Medications are no longer working even thought the medical feild says to keep taking them and they say that "diet" has nothing to do with psoriasis! J ust in the last 4 months I have spent 9 weeks(5 weeks the first time and 4 weeks the second) in treatment away from home! Only to have it get better when I was there and return when I returned home! The second time I had to return to treatment I decided to find other alternative medicine! I found a chiropractor that specializes in nutritional response testing and have learned alot! One thing is there are people out there that want to help people instead of telling you "I don't know what else to do for you! You will have to learn to live with it and do treatment 3 to 4 times a year! Use this cream for flare ups!" During recent visits to my new doctor she has found that I have an intolerance to WHEAT, RYE, BARLEY, DAIRY, SOY, OATMEAL AND WHITE RICE!!!! At first I was excited because I felt like there was something I could do! But now I don't know where to start! I was doing well with my diet(not perfect though) and my psoriasis was slowly disappearing until out of the blue I had a very bad extreme flare! On my next visit I found out that I also had an intolerance to CORN, which I love and had been eating 3 times a day since sweet corn season! I felt depressed and gave up on my diet feeling hopeless! My husband and I went out to eat and I made all the wrong choices incluing a burger on the bun and a huge milkshake! The very next night my psoriasis was so inflammed that I couldn't sit or lay down to sleep! I am trying to get back on the wagon and eliminate the foods I do bad with but I don't know where to start! I'm frustrated and getting tired of eating salads because I am scared to eat anything else! Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any good websites, books or cookbooks out there? Should I just eliminate all the problems at once or one at a time? I have changed all of my skin care and personal care products to gluten, soy, and dairy free! Thanks for listening to me ramble!

purple Community Regular
I am new to this site and to forums! But I am hoping to find some hope and help here! Although I have not been diagnosed as being a Celiac! I have had Psoriasis for 19 years! As I get older it seems to only get worse with no relief! Medications are no longer working even thought the medical feild says to keep taking them and they say that "diet" has nothing to do with psoriasis! J ust in the last 4 months I have spent 9 weeks(5 weeks the first time and 4 weeks the second) in treatment away from home! Only to have it get better when I was there and return when I returned home! The second time I had to return to treatment I decided to find other alternative medicine! I found a chiropractor that specializes in nutritional response testing and have learned alot! One thing is there are people out there that want to help people instead of telling you "I don't know what else to do for you! You will have to learn to live with it and do treatment 3 to 4 times a year! Use this cream for flare ups!" During recent visits to my new doctor she has found that I have an intolerance to WHEAT, RYE, BARLEY, DAIRY, SOY, OATMEAL AND WHITE RICE!!!! At first I was excited because I felt like there was something I could do! But now I don't know where to start! I was doing well with my diet(not perfect though) and my psoriasis was slowly disappearing until out of the blue I had a very bad extreme flare! On my next visit I found out that I also had an intolerance to CORN, which I love and had been eating 3 times a day since sweet corn season! I felt depressed and gave up on my diet feeling hopeless! My husband and I went out to eat and I made all the wrong choices incluing a burger on the bun and a huge milkshake! The very next night my psoriasis was so inflammed that I couldn't sit or lay down to sleep! I am trying to get back on the wagon and eliminate the foods I do bad with but I don't know where to start! I'm frustrated and getting tired of eating salads because I am scared to eat anything else! Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any good websites, books or cookbooks out there? Should I just eliminate all the problems at once or one at a time? I have changed all of my skin care and personal care products to gluten, soy, and dairy free! Thanks for listening to me ramble!

"Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster is a good cookbook for those with multiple allergies.

Open Original Shared Link is a good web site for vegan or gluten-free recipes with colored pics too!

Open Original Shared Link just do a search for vegan or vegetarian recipes...or gluten free recipes...or

gluten free vegan recipes.

recipezaar#301233 is a good recipe to make banana muffins with (read the comments for substitutions)(I put berries in some of the cups to make a variety) (freeze some in a baggie and then a plastic container, grab & go )

recipezaar#312803 is a great recipe for waffles, I used almond milk ( best waffles I ever ate and will ever eat!)

recipezaar#302922 is a good recipe for gluten-free/vegan tortillas (be sure to read comments for subbing flours), I used sorghum with Bob's gluten-free flour mix (use for a bread sub) (fill with beans or veggies) (I used onion & garlic salt)

Make smoothies with fruit and juice. Cut fruit, freeze in a bag, puree frozen fruit in blender with juice. Peaches, bananas and orange juice is good. White grape raspberry juice with berries is good. Keep baggies with fruit in the freezer all the time or buy frozen fruit. Freeze fesh fruit while its in season. Keep frozen bananas in the freezer for the muffins and waffles, just thaw and squeeze it out like toothpaste, it works.

I have 1 dd gluten-free and 1 dd vegan almost gluten-free and I love to cook...need help let me know!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Wendy Cohan, RN Contributor

For those having trouble with legumes, be especially wary of the dark red beans like kidney beans, which are higher in lectins. For some reason, many people seems to be able to better tolerate pulses (lentils and pea relatives), like the tiny orange indian lentils or yellow dal beans, especially when well cooked, and taken in smaller amounts. They are easy to cook, delicous, and nutritious. My specific food allergies are: dairy, gluten, sugar, mold (not really a food, but in aged foods and accidentally eaten on some small berries), chocolate/coffee, corn, and oats. I do OK with rice, sorghum, amaranth, quinoa, teff, starches, white potatoes, all nuts except peanuts and cashews, and all vegetables (thank God). I also do well with melons, cherries, stone fruits like nectarines and peaches etc. I have to be careful with grapes, even green ones, and all red-skinned fruits like dark Italian plums. These foods contain vaso-active amines that trigger migraines.

Does anyone know of a good list of gluten-free cosmetics, skin-care products, etc.? I counsel people on following a gluten-free diet, but have a hard time keeping up with all of the personal care products out there. I'm OK with toothpastes for now, except wondering if anyone knows if Nature's Gate "Creme de Peppermint" Natural Toothpaste is gluten free?

Wendy Cohan R.N.

AliB Enthusiast

Have a look at the specific Carbohydrate Diet thread in this section - quite a lot who have found little relief elsewhere have had good success with this diet. I have been following it since March and am gradually improving. It avoids all the foods that you have listed as a problem and some, and concentrates on good plain unprocessed foods - meat, fish, poultry, fresh cooked and raw veg and some fruits, plenty of home-made well-fermented yogurt to help rectify the out-of-balance gut flora and a little honey, nuts and seeds.

It is designed to eliminated as much as possible of any adulteration - organic foods are better if you can obtain and afford them. Avoiding processed foods helps prevent the ingestion of chemical additives and preservatives and helps to speed the healing process within the body. Avoiding grains, starches and sugar eliminates foods that rogue bacteria and parasites feed on. Many find that they have problems with most carbohydrates and dairy, not just gluten (the yogurt is usually tolerated well, as the bacteria within it digests most, if not all, of the lactose and changes the structure of the casein).

I believe that a lot of our health problems have rogue bacteria and/or parasites behind them (see my other thread on bacteria) and much can be done to rectify this problem and get the digestion, and therefore the body, working properly. Two and a half thousand years ago Hippocrates said that 'all disease begins in the gut'. He was a very wise man.

For more info on the SCD look at the 'breaking the vicious cycle' website, 'Pecanbread' and 'SCD Recipes' amongst others. Good SCD recipe books can be found on amazon too. Just type in 'specific carbohydrate'.

Welcome to the 'club'. We're all in the same 'boat' here and struggling with all kinds of health issues, so you're not alone.

mftnchn Explorer
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any good websites, books or cookbooks out there? Should I just eliminate all the problems at once or one at a time? I have changed all of my skin care and personal care products to gluten, soy, and dairy free! Thanks for listening to me ramble!

I'd have to second the suggestion to try SCD as it does eliminate your problem foods and there is a structured approach to the diet with recipes and stuff. Also if you follow the intro, there are only a few foods for 5 days and then if you add one at a time you pretty much have a very good elimination diet. The food intolerance combinations seem to be pretty unique for each of us though we sometimes find similarities.

The intestinal damage from celiac if you have that could not only make it hard for you digest lactose in milk, but break down other carbohydrates, at least the final step from disacharride to monosaccharide. The dissacharride then goes to the gut and feeds lots of bad stuff, and causes more intestinal damage. Gut damage means dysbiosis and increasing intolerances.

I improved after going gluten-free and soy free, but gluten-free 15 months I was still having major malabsorption problems, up and down swings, poor stamina and energy, some constipation still, and brain fog. The first 10 months I was dairy free too.

A few weeks ago when I started SCD to my surprise I have made great progress.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Now my digestive symptoms are minor to my neuro symtpoms (just saying that upfront), so I skipped the intro part of the diet. I just stick with the legal foods and avoid the illegal foods (with a few treats here and there such as sweet potatoes and plantains). About 90% on the diet. I noticed improvements after a few weeks eating SCD. My blood sugars are more stable and lower....no gas. I was bloating a lot and Neem completely got rid of that for me. The diet is helpful and it is also healthy.

mftnchn Explorer

I've taken a little different tack though I too had few digestive symptoms, but the testing showed a serious problem. So I have done the SCD intro and kept the adding of foods very slow. I notice that I feel better on the foods closer to the intro side of the spectrum. My symptoms that have improved hugely have been fatigue, brain fog, plus better quality stool. I've also passed quite a few parasites, and lost weight which I need to do. I also have joint/muscle pain that didn't improve on the diet (due to lyme's disease most likely) and is now improving the last few days since returning to antibiotic treatment.

• 1 month later...
MissyMae1 Newbie

Thanks so much for all of your help and comments! I feel relief to know that there may be an answer! A friend of my family suggested a book called "The Maker's Diet" which sounds a little familiar to the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet"! I am going to check out the info you guys suggested first and see how it goes!:) I have realized one thing, I am more of a junk food junkie than I ever thought!

Well since writing last, I have found out that I do have a parasite(or possible a few) that I am trying to get rid of! And I found out that I have a high metal toxicity(aluminum), that I am detoxing from now!

My family and I have decided that I am going to gradually come off of my medication and see what happens with a change in my diet! The homeopathic doctor is thrilled about this and the medical doctor well not so much! He has admitted that I have been on this medication to long(12 years) and to high of a dose that it could do some good to take a break from it! Gee, wonder what told him that! The blood test show that the meds are killing my liver, my hair is falling out in clumps and I am nauseated all the time! I guess it is time to try something else!

Again thanks for the info! I am going to check out everything you all suggested! I'll keep ya posted!

Thanks again,

MissyMae1

Wonka Apprentice
"Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster is a good cookbook for those with multiple allergies.

Open Original Shared Link is a good web site for vegan or gluten-free recipes with colored pics too!

Open Original Shared Link just do a search for vegan or vegetarian recipes...or gluten free recipes...or

gluten free vegan recipes.

recipezaar#301233 is a good recipe to make banana muffins with (read the comments for substitutions)(I put berries in some of the cups to make a variety) (freeze some in a baggie and then a plastic container, grab & go )

recipezaar#312803 is a great recipe for waffles, I used almond milk ( best waffles I ever ate and will ever eat!)

recipezaar#302922 is a good recipe for gluten-free/vegan tortillas (be sure to read comments for subbing flours), I used sorghum with Bob's gluten-free flour mix (use for a bread sub) (fill with beans or veggies) (I used onion & garlic salt)

Make smoothies with fruit and juice. Cut fruit, freeze in a bag, puree frozen fruit in blender with juice. Peaches, bananas and orange juice is good. White grape raspberry juice with berries is good. Keep baggies with fruit in the freezer all the time or buy frozen fruit. Freeze fesh fruit while its in season. Keep frozen bananas in the freezer for the muffins and waffles, just thaw and squeeze it out like toothpaste, it works.

I have 1 dd gluten-free and 1 dd vegan almost gluten-free and I love to cook...need help let me know!

Roben Ryberg has a new book out called You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free! It has a lot of recipes using just one flour for those with multiple food allergies.

I'm still trying to figure mine out. I am celiac, so wheat rye and barley are out. I can't tolerate any dried legumes (not sure about fresh at this stage), nightshades are a problem and recently I discovered all soy is a problem (was put on a high dose of soy lecithin and boy did that help nail down that soy is an issue). The soy is a pain as it is in so many things. I am still very sick (fatigue, gut issues, muscle/joint pain, migraines, brain fog) because my antidepressant contains soy. I have another week at the dose I'm on, then two more weeks of dropping down to only every second day and then I can be completely off the med. I am cautiously optimistic that I will feel better once I can be completely off soy.

I have been avoiding all dairy while I am so acute and I have been limiting eggs (only use them for occasional baking and I mean occasional, I have no energy so not much baking happening).

Our house is very complicated. I have my food issues. One of my triplets (they are 13 on Wednesday) has a positive ttg and is waiting for her endoscopy so she still needs to consume gluten. Another of my triplets has decided that she is a vegetarian (she is very good at covering her own protein and she is very good at eating just about everything I make (and her 20 year old sister is a vegetarian as well but she has recently moved out on her own). My husband has just been told that he has dangerously high cholesterol so now I have to incorporate that diet into our regime. Oy! My son, the last triplet, thankfully doesn't seem to have any issues and just eats, mostly, what I give him.

Figuring out all this stuff is sure a chore. Here in Canada they are doing the gene tests but my doctor is being a pain in the butt about ordering them. He is on this kick about not ordering expensive tests, even though my medical covers the cost, if he decides they are not important. He will not order the gene test on me. It took me 7 months to convince him to test my kids for celiac, even thought they are 1st degree relatives. I had to threaten to drop him as my doctor, and he loves my kids, to get him to test them. He was a bit contrite after he had to call us in to tell me that one of my kids tested positive. The Children's Hospital GI specialist has ordered the gene tests for her. I'm curious to get the results.

• 2 years later...
CR5442 Contributor

Now my digestive symptoms are minor to my neuro symtpoms (just saying that upfront), so I skipped the intro part of the diet. I just stick with the legal foods and avoid the illegal foods (with a few treats here and there such as sweet potatoes and plantains). About 90% on the diet. I noticed improvements after a few weeks eating SCD. My blood sugars are more stable and lower....no gas. I was bloating a lot and Neem completely got rid of that for me. The diet is helpful and it is also healthy.

I was wondering if you had any more information on taking Neem for parasites? I have some! And am taking 2x400mg Neem 3s daily. How long do you think I will have to take it for. I think I have caught them quite early as have only seen the eggs for 8 days or so... thanks!

kareng Grand Master

I was wondering if you had any more information on taking Neem for parasites? I have some! And am taking 2x400mg Neem 3s daily. How long do you think I will have to take it for. I think I have caught them quite early as have only seen the eggs for 8 days or so... thanks!

Things is an old thread. According to her profile, Shayfl hasn't been on since April 2009. Not likely you will get a response from her.

Archived