This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

One Year Old Has Her Third Bout With A Urinary Infection

sandpiper

sandpiper Apprentice

Hi to all,

If anyone has some experiences with their little ones or themselves when they were younger and didn't know yet that they were a celiac/gluten intolerant with on-going urinary infections and no tests showing any kidney disease, would you please let me know.

My sister has a grandchild by marriage not their own, (second marriage, her husband) who is having this problem and the doctors don't know why. Emily the child is eating gluten foods and also dairy (yogurt). The doctors have now placed her on a daily regiment of antibiotics to try and take care of it, which if I am not explaining this incorrectly has been done in the past, and it still is happening.

Please let me know if this could be a problem with gluten or dairy?

Thanks so much to you all, don't know what we would do without each other here and the help with your own stories and experiences.

Best,

Susie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Susie!! D-Mannose is a miracle for this. At the first sign I start taking it and I never get one. And I dont get that little sign hardly ever anymore. It is a safe natural sugar. Google it. And I hope it helps.

dilettantesteph Collaborator
Hi to all,

If anyone has some experiences with their little ones or themselves when they were younger and didn't know yet that they were a celiac/gluten intolerant with on-going urinary infections and no tests showing any kidney disease, would you please let me know.

My sister has a grandchild by marriage not their own, (second marriage, her husband) who is having this problem and the doctors don't know why. Emily the child is eating gluten foods and also dairy (yogurt). The doctors have now placed her on a daily regiment of antibiotics to try and take care of it, which if I am not explaining this incorrectly has been done in the past, and it still is happening.

Please let me know if this could be a problem with gluten or dairy?

Thanks so much to you all, don't know what we would do without each other here and the help with your own stories and experiences.

Best,

Susie

I had problems with urinary tract infections without kidney disease since I was a little kid. I finally stopped it by drinking cranberry juice daily. It has more recently been shown to be effective. I don't know if celiac had anything to do with it. I've only been gluten free 8 months.

Stephanie

sandpiper Apprentice
Susie!! D-Mannose is a miracle for this. At the first sign I start taking it and I never get one. And I dont get that little sign hardly ever anymore. It is a safe natural sugar. Google it. And I hope it helps.

A Big hug and thank-you to you both for the quick suggestions and personal experiences! I will look into this ( D-Mannose ) and cranberry juice and also pass the information to my sis and her family. My thoughts are like many here I am sure, to apply as much of the natural remedies as not to over-tox our bodies and let ourselves ( our bodies ) heal and balance in their own ways which given half a chance will do. Antibiotics are pretty wicked and for a little one of such a young age, you just want to try and help with some other choices.

Thanks again, and the best of health,

Susie

dbmamaz Explorer

My sister had them, had surgeries and tons of antibiotics and nothing cleared it up. She was also allergic to corn, but never really went corn free. I recently read that corn allergy can cause utis. I'm a big fan of a sensitivity test called A.L.C.A.T (if you spell w/out the dots, it gets altered ...) you could use that to look for problem foods and see if taking them out helps. Corn, however, is a really hard one . ..

shayesmom Rookie

I second this suggestion whole-heartedly. You can even look up the medical studies done on this supplement in peer-reviewed publications. It is BETTER than antibiotics in preventing AND treating UTIs. Plus, if you already have an infection....you start getting pain relief within about 20 minutes. I've used this on dd, myself and now my whole extended family stocks it in their medicine cabinet (and they are telling their friends).

Cranberry juice isn't too bad as a preventative, but one of the major drawbacks to it is the high sugar content...which suppresses the immune system. I have tried cranberry juice and probiotic supplementation on UTIs and it helps. But it can take over a week for this to work while D-Mannose can wipe out an infection in less than a day.

ShayFL Enthusiast

And no me and ShayesMom are not in cahoots.....(no relation). :P

You can get the D-Mannose with cranberry extract in pill form. Or just pure D-Mannose in pill or powder. The powder might be best for a child as it is sweet and can be mixed with fruit or something. They wont mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shayesmom Rookie

You can get the D-Mannose with cranberry extract in pill form. Or just pure D-Mannose in pill or powder. The powder might be best for a child as it is sweet and can be mixed with fruit or something. They wont mind.

Great minds must think alike! :P:P:P

rick-spiff Rookie

Make sure you take probiotics during and after you have taken antibiotics!!

sandpiper Apprentice

Okay! You all are so cute! Thank you for the great ideas and the great minds thinking alike! Hope that Emily's mom will try this out and look into the more natural approachs and not resort to the antibiotics.

Take care,

Susie

sandpiper Apprentice
Great minds must think alike! :P:P:P

Thanks Vicky, happy to know that you are both in unison with these products and the help that it can give!

I am just wondering if maybe her pH is out of balance, we suggested this to her mom and she is going to get the test papers at the store and give it a try. It breaks your heart when you hear of the little ones having to go through these conditions at such a young age, and to have them go through the tests, it is difficult.

Take care,

Susie

sandpiper Apprentice
Make sure you take probiotics during and after you have taken antibiotics!!

Thanks Rick,

Her mom has been following this with the needed flora care, and giving her daily yogurt, just hope that this is not a problem with dairy for her. We try and give our grandson the non-dairy powder form, this is a learning journey all the time for us all. Thanks for the good suggestion!

Best to your health,

Susie

shayesmom Rookie
Thanks Vicky, happy to know that you are both in unison with these products and the help that it can give!

I am just wondering if maybe her pH is out of balance, we suggested this to her mom and she is going to get the test papers at the store and give it a try. It breaks your heart when you hear of the little ones having to go through these conditions at such a young age, and to have them go through the tests, it is difficult.

Take care,

Susie

The good thing about D-Mannose is that you can put it in juice, water...ANY drink and it can be taken daily. It won't cost much to try it and the results should be fairly obvious. If for some reason it doesn't work, she can always fall back on the prescription for the antibiotics. But I would definitely give the D-Mannose a shot as there will be no negative effects as opposed to the effects of long-term antibiotic use.

Open Original Shared Link

sandpiper Apprentice
The good thing about D-Mannose is that you can put it in juice, water...ANY drink and it can be taken daily. It won't cost much to try it and the results should be fairly obvious. If for some reason it doesn't work, she can always fall back on the prescription for the antibiotics. But I would definitely give the D-Mannose a shot as there will be no negative effects as opposed to the effects of long-term antibiotic use.

What a great site and read on the benefits of this natural product! Thanks so much Vicky, I will send over the article-site to her mom, this should get her attention right away. I appreciate your help and concern ( big hug )!

Best to you,

Susie

3groovygirls Contributor

Was she checked for VUR? (Kidney reflux?) Did she have a VCUG? (The test where the catherize her and put the dye up to see if it refluxes in her kidneys?)

3groovygirls Contributor

Ok, I'm going to go off on a tangent here.

Antibiotics are NOT bad in this situation. My now 3 year old DD has/had UTI issues. UTI's are very, very, VERY dangerous in young children. VERY. They can cause permanant kidney damage. Not to scare you but the Dr.'s really do know best in this case. Emma's urologist said any of those natural UTI prevention things are like a band-aid for a tumor, LOL! Seriously, what works for adults in prevention is NOT the same as in children, particularly in kids under 5. Under 5 is when most permanant kidney damage can occur. Seriously even one UTI that gets to the kidneys can cause scarring. I really, really urge you not to discourage the antibiotics! I would also ask what tests she has, did she have the reflux (as I mentioned above), is her bladder normal (ie, does she empty it correctly on her VCUG, is it normal size). Almost always in kids that age getting UTI's there is some sort of medical abnormality causing it.

Again, I don't mean to scare you I just hate to hear people start going on about the evils of antibiotics in kids, when in fact that is probably what has saved my DD's kidneys from someday needing a transplant. We have NEVER had an issue with her being immune to antibiotics or having some horrid infection either.

Linda

shayesmom Rookie

Antibiotics are NOT bad in this situation. My now 3 year old DD has/had UTI issues. UTI's are very, very, VERY dangerous in young children. VERY. They can cause permanant kidney damage. Not to scare you but the Dr.'s really do know best in this case. Emma's urologist said any of those natural UTI prevention things are like a band-aid for a tumor, LOL! Seriously, what works for adults in prevention is NOT the same as in children, particularly in kids under 5. Under 5 is when most permanant kidney damage can occur. Seriously even one UTI that gets to the kidneys can cause scarring. I really, really urge you not to discourage the antibiotics! I would also ask what tests she has, did she have the reflux (as I mentioned above), is her bladder normal (ie, does she empty it correctly on her VCUG, is it normal size). Almost always in kids that age getting UTI's there is some sort of medical abnormality causing it.

Again, I don't mean to scare you I just hate to hear people start going on about the evils of antibiotics in kids, when in fact that is probably what has saved my DD's kidneys from someday needing a transplant. We have NEVER had an issue with her being immune to antibiotics or having some horrid infection either.

Linda

I actually have a kidney deformity where one kidney is much lower than the other and is much smaller (estimated at 30% function). I was on antibiotics most of my school years because I constantly would get severe kidney infections that quite often ended up in a hospital stay. This went on until I was in my late 20's. I would still be having those infections if I had not discovered D-Mannose on PubMed. I've had dozens of kidney infections, so I know how painful they are and I also am quite aware of how dangerous they can be.

Now, my severe infections began when I was a bit older (early teens). I was placed on preventative antibiotics and as the infections continued to occur, the antibiotics continued to get stronger and stronger as my prescription had to be changed to address this cycle. It got to a point where I drank cranberry juice every day just to avoid the infections (and this worked well). I got off the antibiotics (against doctors orders) because my immune system was all messed up and my grades began to suffer for it. Obviously, this wouldn't be a problem with a child under 5. So I guess I have the opinion that antibiotics are a "band-aid" remedy for recurrent infection.

In any case, I have had one infection that started last year and I immediately took D-Mannose. No further complications arose and the pain went away in 20 minutes. D-Mannose doesn't work any differently in a child or adult. It's molecular structure is not digested and so it passes directly into the kidneys and the bladder where it's structure is more attractive to the bacteria that cause infections than the human cells. They simply attach to the sugar and get flushed away.

Also, Dr. Sears, a nationally known pediatrician, also recommends cranberry juice for pediatric patients with recurrent UTIs. D-Mannose is the active compound in cranberries that fight these infections. Open Original Shared Link. Obviously, it is necessary to get a full work-up on what is causing the infections. However, antibiotics aren't the only treatment option available. And if a parent is concerned, it really won't take that long to figure out if D-Mannose will help. The research on D-Mannose is relatively "new" (meaning it's under 40 years old) and so it wouldn't be commonly known to most doctors.

I apologize in advance if I sound a bit "terse" in my reply. I respect the fact that you have chosen a treatment option for your dd that is working out for you. And that is a GOOD thing. But I would encourage you to also try to see the other side. There may be sound reasoning behind both. ;)

sandpiper Apprentice
Was she checked for VUR? (Kidney reflux?) Did she have a VCUG? (The test where the catherize her and put the dye up to see if it refluxes in her kidneys?)

Hope that I can respond with enough information with the questions you have asked as this is my sisters grandchild who lives states away from our state and they don't have the day to day phone contact as some might.

With as little information that she was given a couple of weeks ago she did mention that the grandchild had a catherized test done, I am sorry that I can't say if and what this particluar test (s) were, but this does sound as if this was what you were asking about as they stated that her kidneys were functional. Does this sound right? This would be more than a second-hand communication so some of this again may not be that accurate. I am sure though that they will talk again soon to get a up-date on her

Thank you for asking these questions as they might have some value in helping Emily out.

Best to your health,

Susie

sandpiper Apprentice

Linda

Hi Linda,

I don't feel that you were off-base with this post and to hear that your little girl is doing well now is wonderful. My own personal experience which puts my view on traditional medicine and the some times over-use of the many pharmaceutical approaches that are used so readily is just that the "over-use" of them and the effects short or long term that can occur. With myself and the way I react to them has landed me in the ER and at home going through nights of wondering what was going to happen ( those would be of course the worse experiences ), and the more common reactions that one can have, has put me on the fence with the now discussion of antibiotics. But please don't read this wrong, because I do believe that our bodies can't always use the most natural approaches and must be helped with a stronger choice of a remedy.

Thank you again for your help and your daughters experience, I am very happy to know that she is better. Good health to you and your family.

Susie

Archived