Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FoxersArtist

Say What?!

Those were the words my husband used when I timidly approached him last night about some recent research I had been doing regarding his diet. We have both been gluten free since mid-may and have both given up most dairy products as well with the exception of a few cultured items that have not seemed to cause any stomach upset. The gluten free diet, which was meant to cure the ill effects that celiac has caused me over many years, also had a huge impact on hubby as well and he discovered that he would become violently ill everytime he ate gluten-containing cooking which was not prepared by me (that'll teach him!) Going gluten free reallyhelped him for several months until he started experiencing daily stomach problems which rendered him useless - reading magazines on the toilet. Hubby has struggled for years with compulsive behavior and addiction and just recently was discovered to have biopolar disorder which he is not on medication for to reduce his tendancy to experience rapid mood cycling.

Because hubby clearly is suffering from some kind of food allergy or intolerance, I started researching foods that could cause sever moodswings. I saw a post here about corn that really got me thinking and I read some other articles that seemed to agree that corn can be a major mental health factor. Maybe that's part of hubbies problem. So I broke the news as gently as I could but he was clearly not thrilled. He tried to be brave saying that it might be fun to live like a caveman but I could see his inner anger and I could almost here his small inner voice whimpering "why me?"

So today I went through the cupboard and, OH MAN! There were a few things in there without corn. It could be worse...one of us could be allergic to soy, too. It looks like it will mostly be rice, meat, fruit and veggies from now on.

Tips, anyone?

-Anna

Crohn's like GI symptoms, Multiple Sclerosis like Gluten Ataxia, Arthritis like joint pain, Myositis like muscle weakness, DTV like swelling, Chronic Fatigue, weight loss, hair loss, vision changes, anxiety & depression. I thought I was either dying or I had completely lost my mind!

Gluten Free since May 17, 2008

Started feeling like a new person after only 3 days gluten free and it is 100% worth LIFE!

-Anna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You adapt.

I am gluten, soy and corn free (in order of strictness). I also avoid potatoes and rice just because I don't think the benefit from them outweighs the detriment (for me).

Just like when you started gluten-free, the concept is overwhelming, the reality can be dealt with.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Mood swings, or not exactly swings, but depression, is characteristic in FRUCTOSE MALABSORPTION. A person suffering from this, should limit foods with fructose and sorbitol. Fructose is in fruits and in high fructose corn syrup, sorbitol is in stone fruits and in many "low-calorie" foods and drinks, also in "sugar free" chewing gum. Other sugar alcohols, beside sorbitol may be problematic: xylitol, maltitol etc. Check my sig.

Well, I don't know a replacement for corn, but there are plenty of tasty gluten-free grains besides rice. Amaranth, Kasha (roasted buckwheat), millet, and teff are some of the more common ones. There are of course, many types of rice, so there are some things to explore there too.

I found it was the GMO corn that bothers me, but the organic, identity preserved corn seems to be ok.

But are you sure it's corn and not something else, like soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, or sugar?

What about supplements? Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause all sorts of neurological problems. Recently I read that magnesium helps reduce blood-brain permeability, which says to me that it would help reduce the effects of toxic compounds.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.