This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tests For Food Intolerance

roxnhead

roxnhead Rookie

HELLO, I'VE NOTICED THAT QUITE A FEW OF YOU HAVE CASEIN INTOLERANCE AS WELL! I'VE BEEN TRYING MY BEST TO BE GLUTEN-FREE, BUT STILL FEEL---STRANGE. I BELEIVE THAT MY PROBLEM MIGHT BE CASEIN. I'VE HAD ALL ALLERGY TESTING DONE-ALL NEGATIVE. HOW DOES ONE GET TESTED FOR FOOD INTOLERANCE-SIMPLY ELIMINATION DIET---OR? ALSO-MY SYMPTOMS ARE MORE NUER0- EYE PAIN,HEADACHE,BRAIN-FOG, FEET PARESTHIAS,FATIGUE-OF COURSE DIARRHEA-BLOATING NO STOMACH PAIN! SHOULD I GO TO AN ALLERGIST-G.I.-INTERNIST-ALTERNATIVE? THANX SO MUCH!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Welcome to the board!

I would recommend you going to a Neurologist for a full work up and evaluation.

You can always try a casein free diet to see if your symptoms improve. I will mention that "trying" to be gluten-free does not work. You really have to make sure that you are 100% gluten-free for awhile to see if it gets rid of your symptoms. I wouldnt eat out for a few months and once better only at restaurants with a gluten-free menu. Check all cosmetics, hair care etc. for gluten. No kissing someone who just ate gluten. No old Teflon pans, cutting boards, toasters in the kitchen, etc.

Many who do not tolerate gluten also do not tolerate dairy. So cutting both is a smart bet.

Hope you feel better soon!

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I went casein-free in April for my son's benefit. I was having a lot of abdominal pain, gas and bloating and I thought the new diet might help me too (it didn't). Going off gluten made a HUGE improvement, but I was still having a little cramping, bloating and gas. Two weeks ago I stopped eating corn to see if it would get rid of my son's eczema (which it did)... and I was surprised to find that it got rid of my remaining intestinal problems! :lol:

Both of these foods are forbidden on the SCD diet... I started reading "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and it makes a lot of sense to me. You could use that book as a guide.

One other thought... I wasn't as careful as I needed to be in the beginning with cross-contamination. I'm still learning, but I think I'm getting better because now I really notice when I have a bit of gluten (the constipation comes back along with a headache and general "fuzzy" feeling). I stopped using the toaster and checked my medications for gluten.

AliB Enthusiast

I would vouch for that. So many find that just dropping gluten only answers part of their problems. Those of us who have issues with other foods may well be suffering from gut dysbiosis and bacterial overgrowth. That's where the Specific Carbohydrate Diet works as it cuts out the foods that feed the little beasties and helps the body heal.

Check out our SCD thread on this section, plus the 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread' websites for more info.

roxnhead Rookie
Welcome to the board!

I would recommend you going to a Neurologist for a full work up and evaluation.

You can always try a casein free diet to see if your symptoms improve. I will mention that "trying" to be gluten-free does not work. You really have to make sure that you are 100% gluten-free for awhile to see if it gets rid of your symptoms. I wouldnt eat out for a few months and once better only at restaurants with a gluten-free menu. Check all cosmetics, hair care etc. for gluten. No kissing someone who just ate gluten. No old Teflon pans, cutting boards, toasters in the kitchen, etc.

Many who do not tolerate gluten also do not tolerate dairy. So cutting both is a smart bet.

Hope you feel better soon!

roxnhead Rookie

I am feeling much better after going both gluten-casein free! I will be going to a new Dr. soon that is an alternative/integretive/complimentary I'm hoping that he will advise me on the nuero. I've been to one already quite dissapointing! Must admit it has been a challenge to go casein-free. My symptoms that were recurring that I thought were gluten caused -were actually caused by casein. Caramel flavoring and coloring is the one ingredient that appears quite often! Thanks so much for the support!

Archived