This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's Wrong With Me? Please Help...

foodiepeep

foodiepeep Newbie

Hi all. My name is Laura, I'm 24 years old and I'm a newbie to the board. Although I'm not formally diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I began having symptoms of gluten intolerance about a year and a half ago. I am highly addicted to carbohydrates and I noticed that after consuming certain types of these food items, I tend to have extreme fatigue, joint pain, fever, dumping syndrome, stomach upset, ect. Those symptoms are coupled with the fact that my weight has continually dropped to an anorexic level with no real explanation. I now struggle with all of this on a daily basis and am in great need of relief.

My current issue (after recently having taken it upon myself to begin a trial period of gluten free eating in an attempt to control my illness) is that each day so far immediately after I consume my new glutenless bread, I experience a bout of dumping syndrome. Likewise, I constantly experience severe food cravings for things like rice and peanut butter that keep me awake all night. (Possible protein/vitamin deficiency?) This being the case, I was wondering whether that may be a result of my body trying to adjust itself to the new diet or if it may be something of a concern.

Allow me to mention that prior to assuming my celiac disease, I had had a history of gastric difficulties, resulting in my gallbladder having been removed. I have since suffered from the aforementioned symptoms, though none of the doctors I have gone to can seem to figure out what may be ailing me other than a malfunctioning thyroid.

I would appreciate any insight that can be offered...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Welcome newbie and fellow foodie! :D

Have any doctors tested you for Celiac? It sounds like you may very well have it, and it could explain WHY your thyroid isn't working properly.

First, ditch the gluten free bread along with any other processed foods your eating. It does sound like your body is trying to adjust, which is probably why you are having these cravings. Right now, eat as simply as you can with minimal processed foods. meats, fruits, veggies... A lot of gluten free foods are hard to digest so early in the diet. It sounds daunting, but there are a lot of good foods out there just waiting to be eaten.

I would also most definitely get to a doctor. If you want to be tested for Celiac, which I would suggest, you have to be eating gluten. So do it now before you get to set in this diet and don't want to go back. Also have them check your vitamin levels.

The One Apprentice

Hi Foodie, welcome to the gluten free world ;) I have to agree with lizzard here that you must see a doctor before you start your diet, I made the mistake of starting the diet with only a diagnosis from Enterolab, now no doctor wants to believe I have Celiac even though I have all the symptoms and then some, not to mention the fact that one breadcrum gets me vomiting and sick for two days.

The healing process for your intestine if you do have Celiac will take a while, it took me months before most symptoms went away, but the vomiting went away after the first gluten free meal when I started the diet. After having been on the diet for a year I still experience certain symptoms, I guess some take longer, some never go away.

But just a recommendation, if you do decide to start a Gluten Free diet, as lizard said, try not to eat much processed food. Add lots of veggies and fruits to your diet, try to eat brown rice. Grains are a very important part too, though beans do cause bloating, some of them could be very helpful in substituting nutrients you will lack from foods you will leave behind. Almonds are wonderful for protein and nutrients.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

AJ

msmini14 Enthusiast

When I first went gluten free I was highly addicted to peanut butter, I still am lol. I never craved it before but now I love it. I only buy a jar once in awhile or I will eat the whole thing within a week. When I went to my first support group I mentioned my love for peanut butter and everyone loved pb too.

I also noticed that I could no longer tolerate regular pb, I had to start eating the all natural kind. I was getting severe heartburn from skippy/jiffy etc.

They also say that some people with celiac can have what they call candidia overgrowth which is a bacteria in the digestvie tract that feeds on carbs and sugar. BUT, carbs are also addictive so you will crave them as well.

I agree with the other posts here, you should go to basic foods right now. Also cut out dairy, that is an issue for most of us until the guts are healed.

At first I made:

Chicken

Rice

All veggies and fruit

Hard Boiled Eggs

Rice Chex is gluten free (good if you are craving carbs)

Ground Turkey Patties

I also made a mix of ground turkey, salsa, kidney beans and water chestnuts - very good

Oh and welcome to the board =)

Archived