This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida

Lexi

Lexi Enthusiast

Hi! I have had Celiac Disease for almost a year now, and I just recently found out that I have Candida. My Doctor prescribed Fluconazole for me (which is the generic for Diflucan). I keep reading about all the side effects, and now I am scared to take it. I already have so many issues with the Celiac Disease and other food allergies. It is rare for me to have a day where I feel good. Also, whenever, I take a new medicine, I seem to have all these crazy reactions. I don't even like telling people when I feel sick anymore because I feel like they are tired of hearing about it. It is causing me to become so much of a loner!! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any advice about the Fluconazole. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast

please don't take it. I have candida and I am finally curing it, with the most natural and delicious way. please visit this site. (I am not promoting anything / anyone. It is just the most wonderful healing site, and you will need no medicine at all)

Open Original Shared Link

oil of oregano, coconut oil, garlic and pau d'arco are the best natural antifungals, with absolutely no side effects. the diet that Bee suggests is the ONLY one that is working. I've been struggling with candida for the last 5 months, and all I did was keep losing my time and my money (over 1.200 dollars in medicine and useless supplements that did nothing but make my immune go to sleep).

I am on week 4 of Bee's program, no money spent, just coconut oil and the proper diet and I am doing just Great! Please read the files and subscribe to the group. you will get the best help ever. It is a group for healing naturally and boosting your immune, with advise you never even imagined it existed. you no longer need to visit your doc.

feel free to send me pm if you need any help.

Meline

Gemini Experienced
Hi! I have had Celiac Disease for almost a year now, and I just recently found out that I have Candida. My Doctor prescribed Fluconazole for me (which is the generic for Diflucan). I keep reading about all the side effects, and now I am scared to take it. I already have so many issues with the Celiac Disease and other food allergies. It is rare for me to have a day where I feel good. Also, whenever, I take a new medicine, I seem to have all these crazy reactions. I don't even like telling people when I feel sick anymore because I feel like they are tired of hearing about it. It is causing me to become so much of a loner!! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any advice about the Fluconazole. Thanks!

To play devil's advocate here.....I have been on very short courses of DiFlucan years past for systemic candida problems and tolerated it very well. Yes, it can have nasty side effects but I was on it when I had full blown, undiagnosed Celiac and it helped me. It is amazing at killing off candida and my doctor prescribed it for me when I was on the diet about a month and went into "candida die off" stage. The symptoms intensify when it starts to dump into your blood stream and you get sicker. It helped enormously.

How long are you to take it? I was only on it for 1 week so it wasn't so long that I would have had problems.

The oil of oregano is horrible...sorry but every time I burped all I could taste was oregano...strong oregano! There are some great, natural anti-fungals but when you hit certain stages of treatment, the Diflucan is like a nuclear bomb to candida! :P

AliB Enthusiast

The problem with drug-based antifungals is that they only tend to work as a short-term fix. Unless you change the environment within the body that contributes to the growth of the Candida etc., it will likely just keep coming back.

It is a natural part of gut flora and when under control is generally harmless or may even be beneficial - it is when it gets out of control that it becomes a problem.

We can change the body environment for the bad or for the good - it depends on the type of diet we follow. Generally a higher carb/sugar (particularly processed) diet will encourage the pathogenic microbes.

Some also find that whilst the first course of drug-based treatment seems to work ok, the next may not be as successful and the further down the line you go, the more resistant the microbes become to the drug (same problem with antibiotics, as the Medical Profession is now realising).

Natural products and foods generally don't seem to have that problem and can be more successful in the long-term, but the most important facet is to deprive the pathogens of their food source and they will then have no choice but to die back.

Probiotic support can also be very helpful in helping to get the yeasts under control.

Open Original Shared Link

Bell Apprentice

I'm always reading that difflucan is not a good thing to take for candida, because it damages your all your gut flora. I admit I know very little regarding the details of this - but I was wondering if you could do a strong course of difflucan and then follow it with a strict anti candida/scd diet, with masses of live homemade yoghurt. Maybe I'm looking for an easy fix? (answer:yes of course!) but could this work in theory?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I'm always reading that difflucan is not a good thing to take for candida, because it damages your all your gut flora. I admit I know very little regarding the details of this - but I was wondering if you could do a strong course of difflucan and then follow it with a strict anti candida/scd diet, with masses of live homemade yoghurt. Maybe I'm looking for an easy fix? (answer:yes of course!) but could this work in theory?

Actually that would be helpful when taking any antibiotic. The only thing different that I do is I start with the yogurt the day before I begin taking any antibiotic and continue with it for a few days after. I have only needed an antibiotic a few times since I was diagnosed but that seemed to help prevent the antibiotic caused D very well.

Lexi Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice. I still don't know what I am going to do for sure. The problem is that I do have a diet that tends to be high in sugar. I eat a big bowl of Gluten free corn flakes with tons of fruit in it every morning. I love it!! I have never liked things like: bacon, sausage, or eggs. I have ALWAYS been a big bowl of cereal type of girl. I also love to have some type of alcoholic beverage (in moderation) with my dinner a few nights a week, and from what I understand, alcohol is not good for candida. I have never taken probiotics because every time I try them, I feel really bloated. Also, I can't tolerate milk, so I don't do yogurt. I guess I will have to get it figured it because I want to feel better. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Diflucan made me very ill. Try Candex. It knocked out my last yeast infection.

Gemini Experienced

Diflucan was developed specifically for yeast and fungal problems so I doubt it would damage your gut flora as it is designed to kill off those that are. As for it being a short term fix, it is not. Any systemic candida issue must be treated with the diet designed to rid the body of candida PLUS the use of antifungals, which will kill off the yeast as it "dies off" from starvation (which the diet will do) and dumps into your blood stream. You cannot just go on a candida treatment diet and expect it to take care of the problem.

I was on the diet for 1 year and took Nystatin on a daily basis, plus took DiFlucan in the beginning when my symptoms got a lot worse due to the "die off" stage.

I was eating only 200 grams of carbs per day but it all worked fantastic. However, years later, the symptoms returned only it was Celiac Disease that was the problem. I always take a good probiotic every day and since going gluten-free, I have had zero issues with yeast. I also do not deprive myself of dessert but eat far less than most people do. Everything in moderation.

Candida can be rid of but it takes patience and following the diet for at least 1 year, plus the aggressive use of anti fungals. It DOES work! I would not hesitate to use DiFlucan but I would not use it for longer than 2 weeks. It actually should only be used as I have stated....as an emergency use for the worst parts of the "die off" stage of treatment. It's an added kick in the pants!

Gemini Experienced
Thanks for all the advice. I still don't know what I am going to do for sure. The problem is that I do have a diet that tends to be high in sugar. I eat a big bowl of Gluten free corn flakes with tons of fruit in it every morning. I love it!! I have never liked things like: bacon, sausage, or eggs. I have ALWAYS been a big bowl of cereal type of girl. I also love to have some type of alcoholic beverage (in moderation) with my dinner a few nights a week, and from what I understand, alcohol is not good for candida. I have never taken probiotics because every time I try them, I feel really bloated. Also, I can't tolerate milk, so I don't do yogurt. I guess I will have to get it figured it because I want to feel better. Thanks!

Lexi....I know it is very hard to give up foods that make you feel good BUT we tend to crave what is bad for us, especially if there is a candida problem. I was a carboholic when I started the diet and I went through hell for 2 weeks while I was withdrawing from sugar. I ate only whole grains but that doesn't make a difference to candida. Going gluten free was so easy compared to the candida diet but I felt so massively better after a couple of months, it was all well worth the effort. The only fruit I ate for months were under ripe bananas....before the sugar content got too high.

You are craving cereal so the yeast overgrowth in your body is loving that! I hate to say this but no alcohol at all for the duration....it's pure sugar. I know, I would be BS if I had to give up my wine at dinner....I always thought it great wine is gluten-free! :P You are going to have to decide how important this is to you and how much you want to feel better. Nothing good gained is ever easy but you can do this. Good luck to you!

Lovey25 Rookie

Lexi, I feel your pain. ;)

Because I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune of the thyroid) I have MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) problems with Candida overgrowth. I have been on an anti-Candida diet for about a year and one month and it has helped a bit, but not so much overall. I follow these rules: no dairy, no sugar (includes natural ones), nothing fermented, nothing aged, no chemicals/nothing processed. Some people also eliminate nuts/seeds and starches. At one point, I was taking so many herbal extracts but they didn't help me at all (meaning, all the extracts that are known to fight Candida). Boo.

I tried going on a Nystatin in June this year and it did NOTHING at all for me. Candida is so aggressive and I think I probably hate it more than any other human being on the planet. ;) I'm going to the doctor this week, actually, and am considering asking him for another Nystatin now that I have been anti-Candida for one year and now gluten-free for about two and a half months. (Gluten and Candida often go hand in hand and work together.)

However, I advocate natural healing methods as much as possible. So here are some things you can do:

1. take a probiotic (they're the friendly bacteria that naturally occur in the body that will help fight the Candida). Go to the healthfood store and get a probiotic that has several strains of instestinal bacteria (not just one that contains Acidophilus).

2. if you can't eat yogurt because it is dairy, you can buy soygurt which contains the probiotics without the dairy. Or, there are alternative products at many healthfood stores which contain good intestinal bacteria, such as non-vinegared sauerkraut (just cabbage and salt and lemon juice). Or, you can go one step further and make your own non-dairy drink. If you use rice milk or soymilk, simply open up and mix in one or two probiotic capsule contents and allow to sit in the fridge overnight. Voila. -- your own dairy-free probiotic.

3. eat as many raw veggies as humanly possible. They provide pure cellular energy and nutrients to get your immune system strong enough to fight the Candida. To take this one step further, buy a juicer and start making your own vegetable juices. Juices are ideal for the body because they supply nutrients and energy but they don't require the same digestion as if you were simply to eat the vegetable so your body doesn't have to waste energy to break down the food.

If I have any more luck with fighting off the Candida, I'll let you know. Fighting this stuff has really been so tough and it hurts to see all these people with success stories when I've been doing right by my diet for a year with no luck. :( I just have to trust that one day, my body will get strong enough to fend for itself, stop attacking it's own cells, and get me well again. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
Kurzemiete Explorer

Hi Meline. I have been mulling over whether or not to write to you about this and finally decided :lol: ..

I did check out the site you mentioned, wow, a lot of information. It's great to know that you are doing well.

My official dx is no (had a negative blood test) celiac, but i do have the wheat allergy - after ingesting it i get stuffed up, sneeze, there are eczema like spots on my face- pink that appear and around my nostrils raw patches come up. After I stop eating wheat, there is what i call sludge coming up in my throat (perhaps my body's way to trying to detox..?)

I did come up positive for low ferritin 15, a semi low vitamin D 59, my mean platelet volume is a little elevated at 11.4, also I have the cytomagalovirus CMV and I have epstein barr virus. I have had Fibromyalgia for 5+ years , lots of history of depression, anxiety, PTSD, headaches since 11, tinnutis since 13, now I am seeing my hair is not growing properly in front (I actually can see my scalp a bit and my eye lashes are thinning out,and nails are very brittle) I apologize this is so long..

I did the candida quesionnaire and i have many of the symptoms, it makes sense that i may have candida. I get so TIRED of daily waking up tired and in pain, its easy to loose hope. When I read your statement on your profile 'I am so happy' it gives me some hope that there may be a light at this tunnel !!

The candida diet seems very restricting, I also cannot afford organic, and have a child to consider when I make meals...(Cats also have halth issues :blink: another thread..!!)

What has been most helpful to you Meline in this diet from Bee? Any advice would be so very appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time, Liya.

Archived