This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ravenous

Billygean

Billygean Apprentice

Hi all

Thanks for the help you've given me here in the past.

Basically I am undiagnosed but due to a gluten challenge that I gave up after 4 days in November I am pretty certaintly Coeliac. I got chronic diarhoea and the chronic fatigue I used to suffer with came back in abundance and I ended up in bed for about 4 weeks. I thought I was over it, but today I tried walking for a few hours and I got really light-headed like I did then (but during the gluten challenge I couldn't do *anything* without getting light headed.

I'm also ravenous and it's very Coeliac-type ravenous ie. pangs of hunger combined with blood sugar crashes, and thirst etc. I just feel not right. Ive been really sleepy too which isn't characteristic of my fatigue (i was bedridden because of dizziness/light headedness when I was eating gluten - never too tired).

I can't think where I am getting gluten from. Separate wooden spoons, separate toasters, my boyfriend thinks I'm a bit obsessive about it. I've been on dairy for 3 months now no problems.

I can't work out where I'm going wrong :(

BG

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

Could be something as simple as a virus or the flu- lots going around. You could also still be healing- maybe try walking for a shorter period of time.

If you don't feel better in a few days, I would go see your doctor because with the fatigue, hunger and blood sugar crashes you want to rule out diabetes. Have you been really thirsty too?

No matter what- hope you feel better soon!

RiceGuy Collaborator

I'm not sure I understand, when you say you've been eating dairy with no problems. How do you know the problems you're having aren't from the dairy? I'd try avoiding that and see.

How's your carbohydrate intake? I'm wondering if that may have something to do with your blood sugar levels.

The thirst - I couldn't get rid of the thirst until I started taking potassium. An electrolyte imbalance could also explain some of the other symptoms you've mentioned, such as the light-headedness.

Other than that, I know from research and my own experience that deficiencies in B12 and magnesium can cause at least some the symptoms you've mentioned. It may be well worth supplementing those. There are other nutrients which may be involved too, including B-complex, iron, and probably more.

Billygean Apprentice

I've booked myself in for a diabetes test. The ravenous-ness has got much worse, am eating near constantly.

carbs wise i eat a lot of rice and gluten-free bread and corn pasta, could this be it?

I have been on dairy since october with no problems so i'd be surprised if it was that?

ranger Enthusiast
Hi all

Thanks for the help you've given me here in the past.

Basically I am undiagnosed but due to a gluten challenge that I gave up after 4 days in November I am pretty certaintly Coeliac. I got chronic diarhoea and the chronic fatigue I used to suffer with came back in abundance and I ended up in bed for about 4 weeks. I thought I was over it, but today I tried walking for a few hours and I got really light-headed like I did then (but during the gluten challenge I couldn't do *anything* without getting light headed.

I'm also ravenous and it's very Coeliac-type ravenous ie. pangs of hunger combined with blood sugar crashes, and thirst etc. I just feel not right. Ive been really sleepy too which isn't characteristic of my fatigue (i was bedridden because of dizziness/light headedness when I was eating gluten - never too tired).

I can't think where I am getting gluten from. Separate wooden spoons, separate toasters, my boyfriend thinks I'm a bit obsessive about it. I've been on dairy for 3 months now no problems.

I can't work out where I'm going wrong :(

BG

I'm new here, but my advice is to quit dairy, AND GET YOUR BLOOD SUGAR CHECKED! I am also diabetic and its nothing to fool with. Although I will tell you that, since going on the gluten-free diet, my blood sugar readings ( which I take daily) have gone from very high to normal. Kind of a miracle. But some of your symptoms could also indicate diabetes. Please check it out. Susan

RiceGuy Collaborator
I've booked myself in for a diabetes test. The ravenous-ness has got much worse, am eating near constantly.

carbs wise i eat a lot of rice and gluten-free bread and corn pasta, could this be it?

I have been on dairy since october with no problems so i'd be surprised if it was that?

I asked about the carbs because many seem to get a better sense of satiety from those. Although with others, protein does the job.

On the dairy, I'm still not sure I understand. You've outlined the problems you're having, and then say dairy hasn't been giving you any problems. This seems contradictory. I can only guess that you have previously had a reaction to dairy which was different than what you are currently experiencing, yes? But in any case, since dairy (casein in particular) often causes digestive difficulties, this may be reducing your ability to absorb nutrients, thus leading to the constant hunger.

For me, it was about a year of ravenousness before it began to get back to normal. Slowly, the hunger reduced over a period of a few months, and part of that was I had to consciously remember not to stuff myself as much. It had become so routine, that I'd just make a lot and inhale it as fast as I could.

Billygean Apprentice

When I first reintrodued dairy, too soon I think, I got cramps and the D. I've been on the same 'dose' of dairy for about 4 months now with no problems of that ilk hence why I'd be surprised if it suddenly started making me hungry these past few weeks.

This morning am light headed even though just had gluten-free toast with nutella, a banana, a yoghurt and some grapes :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marcydawns Newbie
When I first reintrodued dairy, too soon I think, I got cramps and the D. I've been on the same 'dose' of dairy for about 4 months now with no problems of that ilk hence why I'd be surprised if it suddenly started making me hungry these past few weeks.

This morning am light headed even though just had gluten-free toast with nutella, a banana, a yoghurt and some grapes :(

It sounds like your blood sugar might be crashing. I developed a reactive hypoglycemia sometime after going Gluten Free. There were a lot of carbs in that breakfast that could have caused your blood sugar to jump and then crash... I would start focusing on protein meals and see how you feel. Always make sure to have a protein with a carb... nutella is not enough......

codyb87 Rookie

I have been gluten-free for about 3 weeks now and just in the past 3 days I have been eating like crazy as well. It seems every time I have a meal of any size, I'm hungry again very soon. And at night I can even hear my stomach digesting my bedtime snack as I try to sleep! I ate complete garbage and constant fast food before going gluten-free so I am going to explore more of this blood sugar crash thing and review my diet again. Oh and also I get light headed and have weird balance issues in the mornings and just before bed, whats with that?

RiceGuy Collaborator

OK. I tend to agree that it doesn't seem like the dairy would do that, given what it had done previously.

Seems I've heard light-headedness can be due to a few different things, including blood-sugar issues, blood pressure issues, electrolyte imbalances, iron or other mineral deficiencies, dehydration, and malnutrition. There are probably more which I'm not aware of. You may benefit from supplementing potassium, and if you don't generally use salt on your food, you may need more sodium too. Though bananas are a good source of potassium, it only works as such if you are absorbing properly.

How's your fluid intake throughout the day? Do you drink caffeinated beverages? Perhaps try a sports drink, as they are good for replenishing electrolytes. Can you give us an idea of what you eat each day?

Billygean Apprentice

Hi there

Well today I am absolutely exhausted - bedridden, which is such a shame as I don't understand it.

On a daily basis I eat, F bread for breakfast. Lunch I eat the night before's left overs, and dinner we usually have stir fries with rice, potatoes, pork and chorizo, lots of fresh veg... Quite healthy really.

I gave up caffeine last June and it actually sends me loopy if I have any. I don't drink enough I don't think so have upped that but it's not made much difference.

Diabetes was negative...

BG

RiceGuy Collaborator
Well today I am absolutely exhausted - bedridden, which is such a shame as I don't understand it.

The things in my experience which had me exhausted the most, were candida, and more recently, deficiencies in B12 and magnesium. I do know that if I eat something which I cannot digest easily, such as a banana, I will get tired until my gut has finished dealing with it. But that doesn't usually last all day.

I hope you get it figured out soon. Keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...
tonyalee Newbie

I too had what sounds like the same problems as you, even after going gluten, soy and dairy free. I finally figured out that I also cannot eat almonds, bananas, avocados and a few other things. How I knew? EVERY TIME I ate an offending food, I would feel like I was starving to death and had what felt like blood sugar issues. I could literally eat everything in the house and still feel hungry. All blood sugar, thyroid, etc tests were normal. Now everytime I have that feeling, I go back over what I ate. I can usually figure out what caused it. And now that I've cut out all foods that are offensive to me, cravings have TOTALLY disappeared. How nice is that? I don't know if that ravenous hunger is a symptom of a food intolerance or not, but I actually feel good now ... first time in years and years. Hope you find out what is causing it!

TearzaRose Explorer

Is it possible you're pregnant?

I know I was famished and fatigued constantly starting about 2 weeks after conception!

just a thought.

TearzaRose Explorer
I too had what sounds like the same problems as you, even after going gluten, soy and dairy free. I finally figured out that I also cannot eat almonds, bananas, avocados and a few other things. How I knew? EVERY TIME I ate an offending food, I would feel like I was starving to death and had what felt like blood sugar issues. I could literally eat everything in the house and still feel hungry. All blood sugar, thyroid, etc tests were normal. Now everytime I have that feeling, I go back over what I ate. I can usually figure out what caused it. And now that I've cut out all foods that are offensive to me, cravings have TOTALLY disappeared. How nice is that? I don't know if that ravenous hunger is a symptom of a food intolerance or not, but I actually feel good now ... first time in years and years. Hope you find out what is causing it!

you are so fortunate to have figured out the offending foods! i doubt any dr. would say, "maybe you should try cutting out almonds, bananas and avocados." :lol:

glad to hear you're doing better.

foodiegurl Collaborator

Could it be nuts? Being that you eat Nutella, and that is made from hazelnuts. Just a thought. Hope you have some answers soon.

Archived