This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Purposfully Eat Gluten Before To Test?

loxleynew

loxleynew Apprentice

Maybe it's called a gluten challenge but I'm in doubt wether this is my case. I have only had one test confirm I am gluten intolerant the IGG. Everything else 7 tests say normal. I have been on the diet for 2 months now and feel a little bit better, but that could be because of not eating certain other foods. I just recently accidentally ate a whole bag of lay chips that had wheat in it. I felt normal afterwards even days later.

Would you think 2 months off gluten would be long enough to at least purposely test if I have gluten intolerance by eating something with a lot of gluten? Also has anyone ever tried something like this?

I just have doubts now because other things cause IGG levels to increase, not only gluten.

Thanks for reading.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

When my allergist had me do a challenge he told me you need to eat the suspect item at least 3 times a day for a week.

CMG Rookie

I did a gluten challenge - 4 servings a day for a month after a year gluten-lite. My biopsy was negative (no blood work - I don't know why). But the severity of symptoms, along with DQ2 gene, left me with no doubt that I won't eat gluten again.

2 months off gluten is enough to affect your test results. I think you would have to be back on a full gluten diet for a few months to have any faith in the outcome of the tests.

Good luck!

Billygean Apprentice

I ate a slice of bread a day for four days and only experiences any symptoms on the fourth day. They were severe and lasted 6 weeks and I wish I had never done it (though at least I know now as I too tested negative). I think everyone has a level which they must reach before their body reacts.

loxleynew Apprentice
I ate a slice of bread a day for four days and only experiences any symptoms on the fourth day. They were severe and lasted 6 weeks and I wish I had never done it (though at least I know now as I too tested negative). I think everyone has a level which they must reach before their body reacts.

How long were you gluten free before doing this test?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I challenged twice. Once after I had been gluten, and just about everything else, free for a month and a half on a doctor prescribed elimination diet. I reacted on day three after adding back in cream of wheat and triscuits for the week I had to add wheat in 3 times a day. After my strong reaction I called the allergist, as i had been instructed to do and asked him if I should continue for the rest of the week. His reply was an empathic NO. He referred me to a GI and I saw the GI after continueing the restricted diet for another month. He got me scheduled for a biopsy the next week. His ordered 3 day challenge for the biopsy made me so ill that I couldn't get off the floor the day of the biopsy.

Mtndog Collaborator
Maybe it's called a gluten challenge but I'm in doubt wether this is my case. I have only had one test confirm I am gluten intolerant the IGG. Everything else 7 tests say normal. I have been on the diet for 2 months now and feel a little bit better, but that could be because of not eating certain other foods. I just recently accidentally ate a whole bag of lay chips that had wheat in it. I felt normal afterwards even days later.

Would you think 2 months off gluten would be long enough to at least purposely test if I have gluten intolerance by eating something with a lot of gluten? Also has anyone ever tried something like this?

I just have doubts now because other things cause IGG levels to increase, not only gluten.

Thanks for reading.

Tough question. Are you planning on having a biopsy? Just curious.

I think you would definitely have to eat it more than once to test. I was gluten-free for two months and did a "gluten challenge" for my biopsy. I ate gluten at least twice a day and by day 10 I felt hideous! It took weeks for me to feel better.

You will probably need to reintroduce it for a longer period of time to know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaime1103 Rookie

I was gluten free for 2 months. My Gi dr wanted me to do a gluten challenge for my endoscopy. I ate gluten for 6 weeks, and then all of the blood work and the biopsy taken. All blood work was positive and my biopsy was positive, as well.

ranger Enthusiast

Thanks for reading.

I had to do a gluten challenge for an endo. Doc advised me to eat wheat once a day for three weeks. Endo turned out negative, but I was so sick! Now I know that I should have eaten more gluten for a longer time, but I will never, ever attempt it again! I know my body, and no Doc can tell me that I'm not celiac. And, no way will I go through that again to "prove" it. Do what feels right for you, but if you do chose to do a challenge, make sure you do it right. Good luck. Susan

loxleynew Apprentice
Tough question. Are you planning on having a biopsy? Just curious.

I think you would definitely have to eat it more than once to test. I was gluten-free for two months and did a "gluten challenge" for my biopsy. I ate gluten at least twice a day and by day 10 I felt hideous! It took weeks for me to feel better.

You will probably need to reintroduce it for a longer period of time to know.

I had two biopsies done about 2 and 3 years ago respectively. Both came back negative. Ive only been gluten free though this year starting January, so those times I was eating gluten my whole life.

ranger Enthusiast

Thanks for reading.

I had to do a gluten challenge for an endo. Doc advised me to eat wheat once a day for three weeks. Endo turned out negative, but I was so sick! Now I know that I should have eaten more gluten for a longer time, but I will never, ever attempt it again! I know my body, and no Doc can tell me that I'm not celiac. And, no way will I go through that again to "prove" it. Do what feels right for you, but if you do chose to do a challenge, make sure you do it right. Good luck. Susan

Billygean Apprentice
How long were you gluten free before doing this test?

4 -5 months

Archived