This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do I Gain Weight Fast

jjszczesniak

jjszczesniak Newbie

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff and this is my first post. I am 39 yrs old and was diagnosed last feb (08). I have been struggling with weight gain my whole life and was hoping that once i was diagnosed i would start to put on some weight. I am 5'9" and have weighed about 125-130 for about the last 15 years of my life. let me say that as bad as it might sound i hate being skinny. I have seen so many people struggle with trying to loose weight and the same emotional struggle exists for some like me that want to "fill out". Im tired of people telling me that i should be thankful i dont have to be strugglig with excessive weight. For all the reasons they want to loose weight...i want to gain!! I have tried everything i can from personal trainers to nutritionists with no luck..i would only gain a pound or two but not the 15-20 lbs i would like to. I have heard many say that once your body starts to heal from a gluten free diet that most people begin to gain weight. I have been on the diet for over a year with nooooooo luck! currently weight 127 lbs and am getting discouraged. Does anyone have any suggestion to GAIN SOME WEIGHT? :( Please dont just suggest eat more because at this point if i take time to eat any more than i am i will have to quit my job. I am constantly eating.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? Hyperthyroidism cranks up your metabolism to a very fast pace... which obviously makes it difficult to gain weight (I'm assuming you've tried the really calorie-dense foods like coconut, avocado, and nuts). The bad thing is that it can also put a strain on your heart and cause osteoporosis... so definitely worth checking out.

wildwood Apprentice

Hi Jeff, I am writing under my wife's account. She asked me to see if I could share some weight gaining tips with you. I am 49, 6' and 175lbs, I have a small frame. If I don't exercise I would drop to about 160-165# in the matter of a month or two. I was always the skinny guy in High School and joined the Navy at 6' 143# at 19. After boot camp (8 Weeks) I was 165# and then attempted many times to get above this. The most I ever got to was 172# when I was 21, then I again settled in the 155-160 range. Finally in my early 40's I started to gain some muscle. What got me to finally gain some muscle was working with heavy weights - I mean heavy, you have to challenge your muscles more than the normal person. You don't want to hear that you have to eat, but you do. I added about 1000 calories a day through 2 protein shakes and healthier snacks. You have to eat at least a gram of protein for every lbm of weight you have if you ever want to put on muscle. Some people will say 1.5 grams per lbm. I started a benching program over 1.5 years. When I started I could do 165# once. By the time I was done my max was 259#, hi weight low reps. I don't lift heavy weights anymore, such as benching, but continue with pull ups, dips and pushups, I also started a cardio-kickboxing class. I am not sure what the personal trainer was doing with you, but the key is heavy weights with low reps. I have stayed at about 170-175# for the last 1.5 years, but will drop to the low end if I cut out the protein shakes. I only do one 55g shake a day now to maintain. You will start to epand you waist, but you have to to gain the muscle. Once at your goal, cut back to lose the little belly, and 90% of the muscle will stay. My wife says you will be able to find gluten-free protein powder.

If you are like me you will find that you will excel in exercises that the big guys in the gym can't match. My favorite is the pull up. Every summer, for the last 5 years, I go to the NYS Fair to the Marine booth and win a TShirt for doing 20 no-cheat pullups. I love to see the faces of the Marines and the teenagers that can't get that many as the old guy schools them. I would suggest you start with pull ups. Because you are light you will find you will be able to do more than most guys and your strength will increase fast. Once you can do 3 sets of 10, with whatever rest you need in between sets, go get a weight belt and start adding weight. As I have said I haven't done weights in a bit, but last year I could do one with 90# on the weight belt, ask the big guys in the gym to try a proportional weight addition, they can't do it. To me this is functional strength that you use every day, as opposed to some of the isolated muscle exercises. Don't get me wrong, I liked straight bar curls, dumbell curls and hammer curls (these were the best for getting a defined bicep) - add the bicep workout after you pullups eventually. The other exercises you want to do are dips, same sets and number as pullups. Do benching and dips the same day, big muscles first. If you work alone learn how to use the Smith Machine for benching and add dumbell benching too. Go buy one of those $100 dollar pullup stands, forget the lat-pulldown machine or the pull up assist machines. Put it in your house and just do a few sets at odd times throughout your day. Keep challenging your muscles. At first don't over train, but don't think you can't work the odd pullup set in every day, just don't do 3 sets every day, keep the 3 sets for you back and bicep day. If you can't do a pull up, jump up and hold yourself up, then slowly lower yourself for a set of 2-3, keep this up and soon you'll be doing 3-10's, then shoot for 1 set of 20. Another great exercise is he weighted squat. If you haven't squatted before start slow, get your form down, then start to add weight. My body type responds to compound exercises, and the squat is the best, as far as weights go - better than benching even.

I might have overloaded you with info, but now at 49 I am glad I was that skinny guy. I avoided injuries in my youth due to football etc, I am on no medications (thank God), and I look better than most people my age and my wife says I look better than most 20 year olds - gotta keep the wife happy. If you have any questions I will be happy to send you my Email address or recommend some web sites. You really don't need to buy any books, but they do help motivate you from time to time. Go to YouTube for motivation on the pullups and such - there are some amazing dudes there. Let me know how you do.

Hope this helps, Frank

Gfresh404 Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff and this is my first post. I am 39 yrs old and was diagnosed last feb (08). I have been struggling with weight gain my whole life and was hoping that once i was diagnosed i would start to put on some weight. I am 5'9" and have weighed about 125-130 for about the last 15 years of my life. let me say that as bad as it might sound i hate being skinny. I have seen so many people struggle with trying to loose weight and the same emotional struggle exists for some like me that want to "fill out". Im tired of people telling me that i should be thankful i dont have to be strugglig with excessive weight. For all the reasons they want to loose weight...i want to gain!! I have tried everything i can from personal trainers to nutritionists with no luck..i would only gain a pound or two but not the 15-20 lbs i would like to. I have heard many say that once your body starts to heal from a gluten free diet that most people begin to gain weight. I have been on the diet for over a year with nooooooo luck! currently weight 127 lbs and am getting discouraged. Does anyone have any suggestion to GAIN SOME WEIGHT? :( Please dont just suggest eat more because at this point if i take time to eat any more than i am i will have to quit my job. I am constantly eating.

Two words: empty calories. Although I have to say that this is not the healthiest way to gain weight.

You basically just need to take in more energy than you use.

• 4 years later...
lihaoqing Newbie

Hey,

i got the same situation, gluten almost just killed me, i am not knowing being celiac till 24 and  i have down to 100 pounds 5,9  last despite a gluten free for couples of months or so. and have to be hospitalized for 2 weeks, the thing with gluten is that it makes the digest system extremely poor, not only being picky with food eat but also it can barely absorb the nutrition and the energy, all the high energy calories food (milk, red meat, milk, oil )  other people consider to be weight gainer will very lead to my weight loss and kill my intestine as well.  

poor digestion is poor digestion forget all the delicious various foods to form your beautiful so called nutrionally balanced diet, you simply wont absorb the calories if the food is wrong and it will further worsen your symptom

so here is how i tackle the problem, a lot or rice, yes very sadly i have to admit that the only food i eat without much problem is rice. basically you need to east enormous amount of rice everyday, i can't tell you how much depends on individual cases, but i will eat till my stomach is exploding.(about 2 lbs uncooked everyday ) though it sounds like bad for your system, but guess what, when it comes to the fact that rice is only thing my stomach take, you just have to take advantage of that, play it to the limit. also add more meals will help if you cant eat too much in one setting,  you need to forget about all the bull s$#& people saying about rice, blood sugar and crap, this society is biased against rice in favoring of meat just because it was this way thousands of years ago(western society always considered rice to be an oriental thing)  however it never been proved to be the heathiest way of eating especially for weak individual like celiac disease suffer.  also to mention its white not brown rice, brown rice is extremely hard to digest,

so besides rice, i also eat chicken which is probably the only meat i can eat, and some veggies like onion peppers and ocassionally apple, now i am 150 pounds and in great physical condition, i just participate in the long distant walking, i walked through death valley from pahrump to ridgecrest, and the only food i ate during the week is rice, and i walk 20 miles a day at least . 

so here is some of my stories to share, hope it will help 

• 1 month later...
spirit-walk Contributor

I have similar issues. I'm 5'10 and could never get to 160 pounds no matter how much I lifted weights or ate. I used to gorge myself with calories. The most I ever got up to was 157 right before I began having severe joint issues at 37 years old. When I was in college and in the best shape of my life, I got up to a lean 155 pounds. I could eat McDonalds daily and never gain too much weight. Well, once the joint pain came on out of nowhere, I was told I had food sensitivities to gluten, dairy, eggs, and a host of other foods. I changed my diet to only clean, unprocessed foods. Fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, fish, and chicken. Well, when I cut out the fast food, soda, candy, chips, etc, I started losing weight fast. I'm sitting at 130 pounds and can't seem to put it back on (no matter how much I eat). Couple with that with all these restrictions and being told I have to be on a rotation diet, and it's nearly impossible to consume enough calories, fat, or carbs.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Are you on a digestive enzyme to help break down your food while healing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spirit-walk Contributor

I take Zenpep (prescribed pancreatic enzyme). It doesn't seem to be helping with the weight gain.

kareng Grand Master

I have similar issues. I'm 5'10 and could never get to 160 pounds no matter how much I lifted weights or ate. I used to gorge myself with calories. The most I ever got up to was 157 right before I began having severe joint issues at 37 years old. When I was in college and in the best shape of my life, I got up to a lean 155 pounds. I could eat McDonalds daily and never gain too much weight. Well, once the joint pain came on out of nowhere, I was told I had food sensitivities to gluten, dairy, eggs, and a host of other foods. I changed my diet to only clean, unprocessed foods. Fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, fish, and chicken. Well, when I cut out the fast food, soda, candy, chips, etc, I started losing weight fast. I'm sitting at 130 pounds and can't seem to put it back on (no matter how much I eat). Couple with that with all these restrictions and being told I have to be on a rotation diet, and it's nearly impossible to consume enough calories, fat, or carbs.

add oil to your food - coat the veggies you can eat with olive oil or coconut oil or whatever kind you like.  Aim for foods like coconut and avocado- more calories than a lot of other fruits/veggies.  Can you eat any meat?  Eat more nuts.  "Eat more" might be what you have to do right now.  Eat every 2 hours, even if you aren't hungry.

• 2 weeks later...
Chrisz1000 Newbie

HI, I'm with Wildwood's husband (I'm in agreement...)!

Always been the skinny guy, easily lose weight no matter what or how much I eat and no matter how much excercise I cut out. A few month back I felt a little better and tried to do excercise and weight train, but my body wasn't ready - I couldn't absorb calories/protein to replenish the reserves in my body. I lost weight rapidly again. Still the skinny guy.

Fast forward a couple of months. After a 3 week holiday/rest I seem to be healing thanks to more sleep. I had 3 weeks of nights with 10 - 12 hours of sleep. After this rest I found I could eat food without digestive enzymes. I had more energy, I just felt ready to get moving and excercising again. I am now back on the weights, doing more excercise - I'm not losing weight this time. In fact, 4 pounds stayed on this week.

I think, and I could be wrong, sleep is key and depending on how well you are absorbing food, excercise and weight training is mandatory for weight gain. Your body has been skinny for so long - it needs a reason to put on weight! Lift some weights. 

The other secret ingredient? Time - you may just not be ready yet.

Archived