This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Accurate Is An Upper Endoscopy?

HelpinOhio

HelpinOhio Explorer

How accurate is an upper endoscopy in diagnosing Celiac Disease?

Im a 18 year old male, my mom was diagnosed with Celiac Disease through an upper endoscopy about 30 years ago.

Ive been eating gluten regularly for about 8 months now, and about 6 weeks ago I added 2-4 more pieces of bread per day. Im scheduled to have an upper endoscopy in about 2 weeks. I had the blood tests/labs for Celiac Disease done about 2 weeks ago and got the results back yesterday, which supposedly came back negative. This wasnt much of a surprise because it is most likely false negative. I asked for a copy of my results just in case.

About how accurate would the upper endoscopy be for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Since you have been eating gluten, if you have Celiac, the endoscopy will pick it up. (Assuming they take enough samples and the pathologist knows what he/she is doing). Since your blood tests were negative, there is a pretty good chance that any symptoms you have are caused by another disease. Continuing with the endoscopy will allow the docs to look for other diseases as well. If you have GI symptoms and with a family history of autoimmune disease, you may want to look into Crohn's and Colitis if your endoscopy comes back negative.

good luck

krystal Rookie
Since you have been eating gluten, if you have Celiac, the endoscopy will pick it up. (Assuming they take enough samples and the pathologist knows what he/she is doing). Since your blood tests were negative, there is a pretty good chance that any symptoms you have are caused by another disease. Continuing with the endoscopy will allow the docs to look for other diseases as well. If you have GI symptoms and with a family history of autoimmune disease, you may want to look into Crohn's and Colitis if your endoscopy comes back negative.

good luck

Any time I have heard anyone weigh in on this subject, it is that the tests have a pretty high "False Negative" rate. Your damage has to be pretty good in order for them to biopsy an area that is affected.

However, I'll let more knowledgeable sources weigh in here.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Even on a full gluten diet with symptoms there is a chance of a false negative. You have 22 ft of small intestine and if the damage is patchy it can be missed. After all testing is done that you choose to have done then do the diet strictly for a couple of months and see if it helps even if the results are negative. Also get an actual copy of the labs into your hands. You have a legal right to them and you can just call the office and ask to pick them up or have them sent to you. There are times when the result will be a low positive and a doctor will call the result negative.

HelpinOhio Explorer

good luck

You should read some of the other threads I have made explaining my whole experience and all that I had to go through for years.

If I dont have Celiac Disease, Im pretty much all the way back at square 1 after having symptoms since before my 12th birthday (over 6 years now) and Ive been researching diseases for the past 1 1/2 years.

I do have GI symptoms, but its more autoimmune serious symptoms for me. I have a lot of trademarks of Celiac Disease. I have lost a lot of tooth enamel despite brushing habits that a dentist would be proud of, aching joints, muscle cramps, bloating, severe fatigue, just all over the board. Learning about Celiac Disease and then learning my mom had it, I thought I had a breakthrough because the more advanced symptoms (not just D) sounded exactly what I had. I had been searching for a long time after having my childhood and life ruined for nearly 7 years. I dont know what Ill do if its not Celiac Disease. The next disease that matched most my symptoms was Lupus, and I just got a ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) blood test and it came back normal. Ive also been tested for diabetes, thyroid, rheumatoid, other autoimmune diseases, chest x ray, abdomen x ray, ekg, 24 hr holtor monitor, other heart tests, and many other tests over the years. The only thing that has come out of it is constipation (which was already obvious), and low vitamin D, which Ive been taking tablets for 6 months now with no improvement physically. I just dont know...Im hoping its Celiac though. Whatever happens, Im going gluten free ASAP.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Whatever happens, Im going gluten free ASAP.

I am glad to hear that. Sometimes our bodies give us answers the tests can't. I hope you get some relief soon.

Lisa Mentor

The gluten free diet can certain give you some indicators that gluten intolerance or Celiac can be your issue. But, with years of digestive issues, it might be a good idea to get a endoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out other, more serious issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Has your doctor been clear about what the endoscopy is being done to diagnose?

Depending on your symptoms there should be a list. Doctors do tend to keep patients in the dark, so they will not panic.

Even "healthy" looking tissue needs to be biopsied. i.e. the presence of eosinophils can be imbedded into the tissue and not visible to the scope. ~Eosinophils are white blood cells associated with allergic reaction.

I do believe on some level you already know gluten is causing an issue for you. Your body's reaction to the gluten free diet (after testing is done) may be the best response to prove the point.

Lisa16 Collaborator

I had a false negative biopsy and it set me back about 8 years (meaning it took eight more years or so to get diagnosed.) The doctors found irritation, but no flattening and they told me it could not be celiac. The never said a word about going gluten-free, even though the bloodwork was positive.

I was diagnosed 8 years later through DH.

If you feel better being gluten-free, then by all means eat that way. Please don't rely on the biopsy by itself.

Archived