samantha66

Lifting And Jogging...

Rate this topic

For the past month I am trying to get back into shape and start building some more muscle. I am 5'8'' and weigh 150lbs. So my weekly routine is the gym about 5-6 times and at the gym I do general lifting of all muscles. I have heard that i should give my muscles a break but I am focusing more on form than weight is this ok to do the same lifts everyday?

The real focus of this thread is to say that my daily routing consists of about 35 minutes of lifting and the 25 minutes of running on the treadmill. Recently after cruising these forums I saw a post where someguy was saying how bad it is to go swimming after you lift weights because your blood flow will be dispersed. Is this true? Should I run before I lift, or should I continue doing it after as like I usually do it? Comments on everything is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm a big filtness buff and I instruct. I've had 3 kids and had weight to lose after each one. What I did was hit the weights hard to build a bit of muscle mass and I did cardio as well. I didn't count calories but I ate healthily and grazed. I've maintained that weight loss because I am consistently active and eat well.

Honestly, there are so many "schools of thought" on how to lose weight, many will work but of course the best one for anyone is the one they will actually follow. Some say don't graze because snacks add up but if you eat healthy stuff I find it keeps you full (an apple is a light snack, for example - smear on a bit of peanut butter and it's very good). Some count calories, I just found I focused too much on the numbers and it drove me crazy !

As to weights or cardio first - it probably doesn't matter. I always do weights first (after a short warm up) because I lift relatively heavy and want to focus on the muscle build - doing cardio first might make me too tired to effectively lift.

I'm an avid water person - I have never heard that blood flow dispersal thing - not even sure what that means ! Swimming is very similar to running, cardio wise, you're just horizontal !!! Ok, so the breathing rhythm takes some getting used to. I guess the only other big difference is that the pressure of the water on your body doesn't allow your heartrate to get as high as, say, running. In other words, your maximum heartrate in the water is lower than out of water exercise.

If you are trying to build muscle or just effectively work your muscles it is NOT a good idea to work the same muscle groups every day. Muscles require some rest and time to rebuild - lifting actually makes little micro tears in the muscle fibers so they can grow. You may actually harm your gains by overdoing it. If you like lifting everyday consider doing a split routine - shoulders/chest/back one day, legs/biceps/triceps the other.

Best of luck - fitness can be fun and rejuvenating. Enjoy !

I agree with everything NorthernElf said, and want to add one more thought: that it's also good to change up your routine every couple of weeks. So, if you lift first and run after, switch that for a bit. Try doing different cardio, or changing up the way you combine the muscle groups you work (does that make sense?). Sometimes I do half my cardio before I lift and half after, just as a break. Some days I am REALLY not in the mood for lifting or for cardio, and I spend the whole time at the gym on just one or the other, with the thought that it will refresh me for the next day, and it always does. I heard someone say once, "Nothing changes if nothing changes," and I think that's true! It is for me, anyway.

So good to see other people interested in fitness on here.

NorthernElf has some great advice. My father is a body builder/trainer and has trained several professionals including a former Mr. Universe. He'd agree with what you said re: a split routine. It is exactly what he does and at 65, it shows in both strength and how he looks. As a small woman, I lift differently, I circuit going from machine to machine with no breaks. It keeps me strong and lean.

I also run and lift I typically lift first then run as I'm usually done after a run. I workout just 3-4 days per week for 45 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the day. I maintain my weight and fitness this way without any calorie cutting or counting. I mix up my workouts a lot.

Here is a thread on another forum I found that may answer your question about swimming after weight lifting:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7917

I am librarian so couldn't help myself with researching this further:

http://www.breaststroke.info/BRSTWE.htm

I found this on an extreme bodybuilding forum and it makes perfect sense:

I know that swimming after weights reduces inflammation by pumping blood through the body, buffering lactic acid and reducing soreness the next day - so you might very well be less swollen/inflamed after swimming... but surely it can't erase your work out from your body's memory. It doesn't untear the muscles and put them back to how they were before your weight routine. That's impossible. I think it will assist in your recovery and your body will appreciate it.

http://bodybuilding.fitness.com/exercises/...-good-idea.html

I had another thought: Have you ever watched a Triathalon? Many of the athletes, including one guy I know, are extremely well-built and muscular. They run, bike, swim, and obviously lift. No way they could do these workouts all on separate days and achieve both the body mass and endurance needed for such a race. Perhaps your answer is there. I know a girlfriend of mine who has finished five tris usually swims, bikes, or runs in the morning and hits the gym in the evening. She has an awesome, lean muscular body.

whether your working the same muscle groups every day depends on your specific goals. You should give your body time to rest.... but if youre not using intensity when lifting... it shouldnt really be a problem when lifting every day. If you want to see some good results.... try this routine...

chest/ triceps- mon

back/ biceps- tues

lower body- wed

thurs- take the day off or just do cardio

fri- shouldures

sat- cardio day

sunday- cardio

I personally think its better to lift before you do your cardio... this is so you have the most energy and can really fatigue your muscles. You should prob hop on the treadmill for 5 minutes or so to warm up before lifting... then lift... then do your official cardio.

If you can... try to use intensity rather than duration in your cardio too. This means.. instead of doing a 5.0 or whatever on the treadmill for a half hour.... kill your self on the tredmill for 15 minutes.

You can try to interval train....with lets say 3.5 as your active rest... and maybe a 7.5. Alternate between these two speeds depending on your fitmess level.

Thats really all I can think of to tell you.. I believe in intensity of the excercise over duration.

If you need anymore advice.... try

askthetrainer.com

To your original question, do whatever is your primary focus first. If strength training/building is your primary goal, lift first. If endurance training is your primary goal, do your cardio first. And agreed with previous posts-if training with weights, you may want to consider a full body 3 day a week plan, a 4 day upper lower or push/pull, or a bodypart split (which would incidentally be my last choice in most cases.)