miloandotis

Please Give Me Advice

Rate this topic

My doctor ordered the test for me, but he does not know for how long I need to go back on to a gluten diet. I have been off for just over a week. Does anyone know how long I need to eat gluten before I go in to get tested?

I don't think one week gluten free is long enough to skew test results. I would just begin eating gluten again until your testing is complete.

A week is a short time. I agree if you gluten load you could test in the next week or two. Nice of your dr not to offer to research it for you.

My doctor ordered the test for me, but he does not know for how long I need to go back on to a gluten diet. I have been off for just over a week. Does anyone know how long I need to eat gluten before I go in to get tested?

it depends on the test and your personal biology.

your topic post says something about "anti tissue transglutaminase tests" -- is this the ONLY test or is it the entire celiac panel??

it is entirely possible, based on your diet (i.e., how much gluten you usually consume prior to being gluten-free), how long you've been having celiac-like symptoms, and the degree of intestinal damage -- for some blood tests that might have been positive, to be negative.

Do keep in mind also that there are some of us who will show a false negative on the blood tests even on a full gluten diet and very symptomatic. Just make sure you are eating a full gluten diet until all tests are done and then no matter what the results give the diet a good strict try for a bit to see if symptoms resolve.