Sharon

Pinto Bean Flour

Rate this topic

Was given some pinto bean flour but haven't seen any recipes on using it. Has anyone out there tried it? If so, all by itself or combined with other gluten free flours? Please HELP as I'm not very good when it comes to experimenting! Sharon

I never used it myself. I don't really care for the taste of bean flours, but I would mix it with other flours. Mix it with a starch at minimum.

I looked online for bean flour recipes.... and the only thing it is used for is to thicken soups or make bean dips. It also can be added to baked goods to add protien.

i also looked it up and found it only in baked beans and refried beans...

if you want to bake with it my advice is to try a very small amount (a fourth or less of your flour mix would be the bean flour) so that you dont overwhelm the other flavors in your baked goods. bean flours are known for very strong taste/smell. my first time to make a bread with garfava flour i thought the flour was bad because of the smell. i was afraid to eat it :P so start off with small amounts to see if it is a taste you enjoy or (can tolerate at all) hehe

good luck

bean flours are usually garbanzo beans and I don't particularly care for the side effects...

Thank you for your replies. Going to try adding one cup pinto bean flour to my regular flour mixture of 5 c wht rice flour, 2-1/2 c potato flour and 1-1/2 c tapioca flour. Hope it works OK!