Lisa16

Drambuie? Anybody Know?

Rate this topic

So I am about to bake a cake and I was going to flavor it with some drambuie. I looked on old lists and threads here, and people are saying it is gluten free. HOWEVER, I see on the label it says "made from malt whiskey." Wooo.

I am going to make this cake tonight with cointreau instead, but that bottle of drambuie is sitting there and it goes best with chocolate and pecans.

Does anybody know if it is safe?

Malt whiskey is usually safe, but there may be some exceptions. Scotch is made from barley which is first malted to produce the alcohol (mash), and then distilled to concentrate the alcoholic content at around 40 per cent. It is generally accepted that gluten is too heavy to survive the process and be present in the distillate. Some peptide fragments do pass through, and some celiacs react to those fragments.

Rarely, some of the mash is added back to the distillate for flavour. Those tend to be expensive single malt whiskeys--my guess is that Drambuie uses less expensive Scotch to make their liqueur. I would take it as gluten-free.

I personally wouldn't touch it but I don't tolerate distilled gluten. What I would suggest you do is to challenge it. Drink it three days in a row without consuming anything else risky and check for a reaction. Many of us can tolerate distilled gluten grains but some of us cannot.

Thanks!

Now is one of those times I wish I had a test kit. I will take it as safe, but watch for a reaction the next time I make a cake.

Let me know if you find out -- sent an email to an old friend in Glascow although I have no idea where the Drambuie office is.

Used to like working with it....Mother always liked drinking it!<G>

Thanks!

Now is one of those times I wish I had a test kit. I will take it as safe, but watch for a reaction the next time I make a cake.

I used it for a chocolate cake with glazed pecans (also with drambuie) and it did NOT zap me. It must be safe :D

Yes, it really has a very nice flavor and the cake turned out well.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa!

I used it for a chocolate cake with glazed pecans (also with drambuie) and it did NOT zap me. It must be safe :D

Yes, it really has a very nice flavor and the cake turned out well.

Lisa