Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mytummyhurts

Wearing Medical Alert Bracelet?

SKBird I would highly reccomend you get a medID bracelet, I am currently going to school for EKG and phlebotomy and one of the antiseptics frequently used it betadine. If for any reason you are not conscience and they need to start an IV you don't want them to use the betadine, plus all the other antibiotics that you are also allergic to. Although your reactions until recently have been just hives, if you are having a crisis, that reaction could be hightened and you don't want any added complications. The celiac part of the medID is the least of your concern, but once getting one, might as well add it.

Kaiti, I had a very interesting allergy testing experiences. I had done many years ago the skin prick test and had been told that I was allergic to some airborn stuff (mold, dust, cockroaches, ragweed...), recently when I got sick I saw a new allergist who did a blood test. The weirdest thing... I came back as being allergic to NOTHING! It turns out I have very reactive skin but not actually allergic to anything. I have reactive airways and apparently gluten sensitivity (extremely sensitive!) My skin reacts to almost anything and everything! The new allergist said that for people like me with reactive skin the prick test gives false negatives. So happy to hear you are having the blood tests.

Join eNewsletter

*** Old Topic Alert ***

This topic was dormant for more than six years. The post above revived it. Please be aware that information here may be out of date, and most of the previous participants are no longer active members of the board.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

I picked up a frozen Amy's mac and cheese,thinking it was the gluten free which I always buy.The container looked the same,but I hadn't notice that it didn't say gluten free. I went into shock a while later,was alone,scared,and couldn't move to get to the phone.Finally I was able to get to the bed,and laid there until I felt better. I had never read about this,and have been a Celiac for most of my life.I also have followed a gluten free diet,and had never eaten a meal of gluten until recently. Is it necessary to keep an epi-pen with me from now on,and also being very careful with my diet?

Join eNewsletter

I picked up a frozen Amy's mac and cheese,thinking it was the gluten free which I always buy.The container looked the same,but I hadn't notice that it didn't say gluten free. I went into shock a while later,was alone,scared,and couldn't move to get to the phone.Finally I was able to get to the bed,and laid there until I felt better. I had never read about this,and have been a Celiac for most of my life.I also have followed a gluten free diet,and had never eaten a meal of gluten until recently. Is it necessary to keep an epi-pen with me from now on,and also being very careful with my diet?

Epi-pens only work for allergic reactions so it would not be helpful in a celiac reaction unless you also have a wheat, barley, or rye allergy.

Join eNewsletter

I purchased the Care USB bracklet for other serious life threating allergies I have. I do carry a epi-pen for my angio lymphatic edema that happens quickly as well.As an adult I wouldn't have even considered the bracklet if my only issue was celiacbut since I had other severe issues I decided & my doc thought it would be a good idea. Esp.if I was alone or in a car accident & there was no one who could speak for me...

I do agree with another poster that small kids need to use a brackletif they react strongly to gluten. I know a small child that becomes violently ill from gluten & ends up in the hospital every time...not a normal case for sure but the bracklet states the violent

reaction...They also have asthma ...

I believe if a person is not following the gluten free lifestyle they have no reason to understand the issues with gluten.. which I think is understandable...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter