jasonD2

Help! I'm Starving To Death

Rate this topic

So im sitting in my dumpy hotel in France eating rice cakes and apples for dinner. I walked around for 2 hrs going in and out of restaurants and not one of them could accommodate my diet. the ones that had potential were either completely booked or too expensive. last night i found a place with a great manager who worked her ass off to make my meal gluten free and I still got a reaction from it after.

i have also been on a candida diet and am now forced to load up on the food that I brought with me in my luggage just to survive..protein bars rice cakes, corn chips...all high in carbs and sugar. im feeling like crap cause im not getting any protein and all the sugar is causing my candida to flare up. i have an important company meeting this week and dont know how im gonna get thru it. i feel helpless! i went to the market to pick up a few things but not enough; they are all closed on sunday so i wont have stuff for during the week. i passed so many amazing restaurants & the food looked so good and everyone was eating, drinking and enjoying life while I was walking around like a helpless loser.

Can you tolerate eggs? If so, can you gain access to some means to hard boil a bunch. I know when I am running a protein deficit and am too weak or tired to fix fish or burgers I just resort to eggs and it helps me to get to a point of functioning a bit better. Good luck. I hope you find something that works quickly and that you have plenty of strength for the upcoming meeting.

CS

So im sitting in my dumpy hotel in France eating rice cakes and apples for dinner. I walked around for 2 hrs going in and out of restaurants and not one of them could accommodate my diet. the ones that had potential were either completely booked or too expensive. last night i found a place with a great manager who worked her ass off to make my meal gluten free and I still got a reaction from it after.

i have also been on a candida diet and am now forced to load up on the food that I brought with me in my luggage just to survive..protein bars rice cakes, corn chips...all high in carbs and sugar. im feeling like crap cause im not getting any protein and all the sugar is causing my candida to flare up. i have an important company meeting this week and dont know how im gonna get thru it. i feel helpless! i went to the market to pick up a few things but not enough; they are all closed on sunday so i wont have stuff for during the week. i passed so many amazing restaurants & the food looked so good and everyone was eating, drinking and enjoying life while I was walking around like a helpless loser.

Sounds like you are in a bad predicament. What about nuts? I have relied on nuts many times to get me through while traveling. You've got to get some meat though!! Just go somewhere and order plain chicken or fish with some steamed veggies & rice. Get yourself a good meal-it doesn't have to be anything fancy. You'll feel mentally better once you EAT!

Europe is far ahead of the US in providing gluten free food. I'm surprised you are having such problems. Did you research for places to eat before going?

Jason, I just googles Gluten Free Dining in Paris and I got lots and lots of hits. I don't know if you're in Paris or not, but give that a try.

Europe is so much more progressive that in the US. You should have no problem. Do you have dining cards. They are basic items to have when traveling.

There is no reason to starve to death.

I agree with the poster that said Europeans are far ahead of us in their knowledge of people with Celiac Disease and having lots of places to accomodate folks like us. What about peanuts butter for protein? If you can tolerate the nuts. I eat all natural peanut butter with no added sugars.

I hope you find things that work for you Jason. I know how you feel buddy. You are already limited in what you can eat, then when you take out the foods for Candida its like you are really restricted. Good luck to you my friend. -Ted.

Jason, I actually thought about you the other day and was wondering how you were making out over there. Is there no way one of the restaurants there can make you a piece of meat in a clean pan with nothing but a little oil and some salt and pepper? On a grill wrapped in foil or baked in parchment? A baked potato that you cut into yourself?

Nuts are a great idea--the protein would help offset some of those carbs.

I hope you get something substantial to eat soon :)

I thought of something else-- try going to a pharmacy. They might keep the gluten free food there. Plus, they can give you a probiotic to help with the candida issues. Try explaining your dilemma and perhaps they can help.