homemaker

Chocolate Chex?

Rate this topic

Now let me first say I am not diagnosed yet...my bloodwork is still out there, I am waiting for results...

My sister has celiac she was dx with bloodwork and endo...

I went on gluten-free diet for a few days, just to see if it made a difference...it has! hurray!

BUT

I had gluten-free Chocolate Chex this morning...do I detect Gluten?

There was that familiar gassy full feeling...

What is going on?

If you do have Celiac and have only been gluten free for a few days, the damage from Celiac has not healed, and you can experience symptoms from gluten free foods, as well. It takes awhile for the body to fully heal and return to 'normal.'

it could also be the milk. Sometimes, because the "genetic code" is similar for wheat and cow's milk, when you eliminate one you also, at 1st, need to eliminate the other. It's been a whole year since being gluten-free, and I still can't drink a glass of milk or have ice cream w/o dire consequences. I can now have it in things like bread, but not a glass. :( I had to go the almond/rice coconut milk route for about 6 months.

Kefir, due to its fermentation, doesn't give me any problems at all and satisfies my milk hunger

I checked in September and Chocolate Chex was not gluten-free - only Corn, Rice, and Strawberry Chex were gluten free. I thought I had seen somewhere that the chocolate was gluten-free, and I got excited and went to the store, but it wasn't labeled as 'Gluten-Free' on the front like the other ones, and when I reviewed the ingredient list I must have seen wheat or something else that told me it wasn't gluten-free.

I checked in September and Chocolate Chex was not gluten-free - only Corn, Rice, and Strawberry Chex were gluten free. I thought I had seen somewhere that the chocolate was gluten-free, and I got excited and went to the store, but it wasn't labeled as 'Gluten-Free' on the front like the other ones, and when I reviewed the ingredient list I must have seen wheat or something else that told me it wasn't gluten-free.

Perhaps it was an older box. The new boxes are labeled as gluten free. I went to the website and I can see nothing listed as containing Wheat Barley or Rye. I am thinking might have been glutened by hubby's toast crumbs. I forgot I had toast with my cereal and that was before I knew about having your own toaster? :rolleyes: Ya live and learn...

I just purchased a box of chocolate chex yesterday and my box was labeled "gluten free."

I do have an older box from several months ago, though, that still has gluten in the ingredients. Some stores still have the old boxes on their shelves.

I know I am also sensitive to chocolate, and if I have too much chocolate in a day, I get the bloating and nausea I also get when eating gluten. It is possible that chocolate could be a trigger.