This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need A Use For A Lot Of Mushrooms

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

I bought a big pack of mushrooms at costco thinking I was going to make mushroom omelette's and now they are starting to turn color and I need to use them up today! Does anyone have any idea for a dinner I could make tonight using up a bunch of mushrooms?? I can't think of a thing. Thanks! ps, I have chicken breasts, pork chops and hamburger currently for meats, but if anyone has anything really good I can get my husband to stop and get needed ingredients on the way home from work. Thanks again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Serve sauteed mushrooms as a side dish.

Cook the mushrooms (whole or quartered) in a large pan with olive oil (or butter, if you can do dairy), balsamic vinegar (watch out for the vinegar fumes up the nose if you're standing over the pan), a pinch of salt, some sage, and optionally some rosemary. They need to cook *all* the way through, and the vinegar will reduce to a thick sauce.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

If they are still good enough to stuff and bake try this recipe below. Other wise you can slice and fry them with a little butter or oil and soy sauce and garlic. Just serve with meat or over baked potatoes. But the stuffed mushroom recipe is the best if you can have dairy products.

Open Original Shared Link

Lisa16 Collaborator

You can make a risotto out of them. Basically, you make up the risotto as you usually would, and you add fried mushrooms to it.

I slice them in a big wok or frying pan with 2-3 sliced cloves of garlic and olive oil. At some point the mushrooms will relaease their water. That is the time to add sherry or whatever flavor you like. Keep cooking them until the brown. Stir them into the risotto once the water has reduced.

You can also make lasagne with mushrooms, not to mention roasts.

mushroom Proficient

I ssecond the lasagna suggestion. "White" lasagna made with bechamel sauce and sauteed mushrooms and spinach is delicious. You could also make mushroom soup.

Dada2hapas Rookie

This is our favorite mushroom soup recipe. I slice the mushroom with food processor. We like the soup a little thicker, so double the amount of flour when making the roux (we substitute brown rice flour). Also, we use 2 tablespoons of lemon juice instead of 1 tsp. Just go by taste...

We also use this soup as a sub for "canned cream of mushroom soup" in casseroles, so we keep some in the freezer.

It's a keeper!

As for keeping mushrooms on hand, you can always saute them with butter (or olive oil), a little lemon juice and salt. It freezes quite well, or you can keep in the fridge for a week or more.

BethJ Rookie

Yum! I love mushrooms and there are so many things you can do with them. This is one of our favorites.

Mushrooms Provencale

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 small onion, chopped

4 T. butter or olive oil

1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced

Salt and Pepper to taste

1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs

1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Saute the garlic and onion in the butter or oil until soft. Add the mushrooms and saute over high heat until all vegetables are hot and tender - and liquid has evaporated; do not overcook. Add the salt, pepper, bread crumbs and parsley. Toss and serve.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Shess0816 Apprentice
I bought a big pack of mushrooms at costco thinking I was going to make mushroom omelette's and now they are starting to turn color and I need to use them up today! Does anyone have any idea for a dinner I could make tonight using up a bunch of mushrooms?? I can't think of a thing. Thanks! ps, I have chicken breasts, pork chops and hamburger currently for meats, but if anyone has anything really good I can get my husband to stop and get needed ingredients on the way home from work. Thanks again.

We routinely make cream of mushroom soup porkchops. They are super good!! It's really easy, too! All we do is take the porkchops, brown them on the stove and season to taste (salt/pepper). Set them aside. Cut up a potato or two into very thin slices. Place a layer of the soup (gluten free of course!) then a layer of potatoes, then mushrooms, a little more soup, layer of potatoes, mushrooms, do that until you have all the potatoes and mushrooms laid out in lines in the dish. Place the pork chops over the top of the veggies and pour any remaining soup on top of the pork chops. Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes on 375-400 (time will vary depending on how thick your pork chops are and how thick your slices of potatoes are). When done, you can either pour the potatoes/mushrooms over the pork chops or serve them as a side dish. Sometimes I add some rice in too. It's super easy and really really tasty!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Pioneer Woman had a Brie Stuffed Mushroom recipe listed today. Love her.

Frances03 Enthusiast

WOw you guys!!! these all sound awesome!! I think we should keep this thread going with more mushroom recipes, now I want to go out and buy some more of them!! LOL I'm going to save this thread so I can come back and make them all. I ended up making a chicken curry with rice! I sliced all the mushrooms and cooked them with chicken, and apples, and then I made a sauce of curry powder, honey and mustard with some broth.

Holy cow those brie stuffed mushrooms sound great! And so do the pork chops!! I will definitely be trying those soon since I have pork chops in the freezer. oooo and the mushrooms provencale sounds so easy and tasty, I will try that next time we have a steak I think!! And I dearly need a mushroom soup recipe so the 2 here will come in handy. Mushroom lasagna sounds awesome!! I have never made a risotto actually, maybe I will have to learn. And I never thought of using mushrooms as a side dish, that's a great idea!!

I hope some more recipes get posted here. I read an article about how mushrooms are really good for you!

Archived