AlexJ72

Celiac And Cancer

Rate this topic

All-

I am a recently diagnosed celiac and my doctor told me that cancer & other complications can be prevented with a strict gluten-free diet, but is this true? Is it possible for diagnosed celiacs to live long healthy lives? Also, what happens when you do get an occasional dose of gluten...I heard that once you remove gluten permanently the bodys reaction to gluten intensifies. Can someone please shed some light on this?

Warm Regards,

Alex

It is true about the cancer and stuff. Along with Lupus and Anemia and other diseases...

I don't know if Celiacs are bound to live to 90, as I am still pretty new at this as well.

But I know for myself, the longer I am off gluten and get ahold of it, the worse it is for me..

Best try and stay as gluten-free as possible.

A stuudy posted recently has shown that Celiac's who stay off of gluten are healthier and live longer, 7 years on average than a regular person without Celicac's.

Eat gluten however and you'll live 7 years LESS with lymphatic cancer being the number 1 killer.

I don't know what incidental glutening does...Being in the sun outside all day without sunscreen is a surefire way to get skin cancer...but a sunburn once in a great while doesn't doom you.

Just stay away from it and you'll be happier and healthier.

My doctor told me I would be 70% more likely to get bowel cancer if I did not strictly adhere to a gluten free diet. Better safe than sorry IMHO

is that if you continue to eat gluten? what about the occasional accidental ingestion? its bound to happen at some point unless you never eat outside your home for the rest of your life

is that if you continue to eat gluten? what about the occasional accidental ingestion? its bound to happen at some point unless you never eat outside your home for the rest of your life

Yes, that is if you continue to eat gluten. Small, rare gluten hits do not count as you will heal from those pretty quickly. It really takes a long time of sustained gluten ingestion for inflammation to occur and be sustained in the GI tract. That is really the culprit in cancer...inflammation.

gotcha! well when i first got tested my intestinal inflammation markers were high and now they are low so thats good :)

gotcha! well when i first got tested my intestinal inflammation markers were high and now they are low so thats good :)

Excellent! I had the same experience and, quite frankly, I have better things to do in life than worrying excessively about ever getting cancer. Just follow the diet, project a good attitude and you'll do fine.