This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone With Postural Misalignment?

Nadia2009

Nadia2009 Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I have postural misalignment that I found out after reading Egoscue's books. The thing is I have always imagined my misalignment was from sports and running. In my 20s, I was a runner and I had to stop running and also withdraw from other physical activities that would engage my ankles or my knees. For example, I don't run on a treadmill I only walk fast. I do a bit of cycling but not much. I was always told nothing was wrong with my bones and body structure after checking everything. That was until someone told me about hip misalignment that causes knee and ankle pain. So, I have researched on how to correct but I never questioned the cause.

Now, I just got curious and wanted to know if there was a celiac connection...after some googling, I found out gluten sensitivity could be a cause for misalignment because gluten weakens the muscles. In my teen years and even later, I suffered from calcium and other mineral deficiencies...maybe other vitamins too.

I have read on this website that gluten sensitivity hurts each and everyone of us in a different way. Anyway, now that I hit the 40, I don't know if there is any hope that after going gluten free for some years, I might be able to run again without pain. I really missed running all these years.

Please read these pages:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

And don't hesitate to share if you have more on the topic.Thanks for reading.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

haleym Contributor

Hi there!

I am a massage therapist who also has gluten intolerance and works with a patient who *also* has gluten intolerance! Go figure! I work in a physical therapist's office and see a lot of patients of all ages and activity levels.

In my own experience, I know that gluten intolerance can cause mineral/vitamin/nutrient deficiencies that cause our muscles and bones to weaken. If you had a lot of malabsorbtion, your postural alignment issues could be caused by your body compensating for a weak spot caused by, say, your body leeching calcium from your bones to fill a need that is not being met by diet. For example, if you had a weaknes in your knee, your hip, low back and neck could all possibly be affected. The body wants the head to be level- that is the basic rule, and anything that would cause the body to be uneven in any way is going to get compensated for- all the way up (or down!) -to make that happen. :blink:

Also, not feeling well and coping with a lot of bloating/gas/body image issues will cause a person to adopt a more guarded posture sometimes, with hunched over back and inward-rotated shoulders. Inward-rotated shoulders will put pressure on the back and overload the upper back and neck muscles, for example. So a problem starting with shortened muscles in the pectorals (from hunching/bad posture) would then translate to taut musculature in the upper back and neck, as the neck is forced to crane up to keep itself level.

... sorry, that was long, but I hope that helps. Feel free to ask me anything like that... I love writing about this stuff!

Haley

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Hi there!

I am a massage therapist who also has gluten intolerance and works with a patient who *also* has gluten intolerance! Go figure! I work in a physical therapist's office and see a lot of patients of all ages and activity levels.

In my own experience, I know that gluten intolerance can cause mineral/vitamin/nutrient deficiencies that cause our muscles and bones to weaken. If you had a lot of malabsorbtion, your postural alignment issues could be caused by your body compensating for a weak spot caused by, say, your body leeching calcium from your bones to fill a need that is not being met by diet. For example, if you had a weaknes in your knee, your hip, low back and neck could all possibly be affected. The body wants the head to be level- that is the basic rule, and anything that would cause the body to be uneven in any way is going to get compensated for- all the way up (or down!) -to make that happen. :blink:

Also, not feeling well and coping with a lot of bloating/gas/body image issues will cause a person to adopt a more guarded posture sometimes, with hunched over back and inward-rotated shoulders. Inward-rotated shoulders will put pressure on the back and overload the upper back and neck muscles, for example. So a problem starting with shortened muscles in the pectorals (from hunching/bad posture) would then translate to taut musculature in the upper back and neck, as the neck is forced to crane up to keep itself level.

... sorry, that was long, but I hope that helps. Feel free to ask me anything like that... I love writing about this stuff!

Haley

Thank you Haleym and don't be sorry please, what you wrote is very informative. If only my doctor would understand that all the symptoms I have been bugging him with had one root, it would be great. You are right about having a guarded posture when we aren't feeling well. My posture issues must have started with my neck right after I had what the doctor called chronic tetany...it is a sort of panic attack where the person cannot control their muscles. It comes with multiple spasms and and movements that cannot be controlled by the person who has it . I couldn't even control my own eyes and It thought I was going to die. It was a very strange thing but doctors said it was actually benign and all I needed was to watch my calcium and other minerals.

I lived with my uncomfortable neck and still live with it and I usually feel at bed time. No pillow is good enough and I have to turn it around many times during sleep unless I am in a deep sleep.

My question is will the gluten free diet help me correct the misalignment? I know physical therapy and visits to the chiropractor are necessary but my problem is very complex and takes time which makes me sometimes despair. So, I am thinking maybe eating gluten free will help. I have a shoulder and a hip that aren't where they're supposed to be.

Do you know if your patient who is gluten intolerant has less GI issues and more muscular/articulation issues? Right now, I only have a low vit D and my doctor understands that as no malabsorption and that with inconclusive blood tests, I have no celiac.

haleym Contributor

The gluten-free diet will help in the sense that, if you are having a shortage of muscle-critical vitamins, you may be able to absorb them easier. One of the great things about gluten free is that most gluten-free grains are easy to digest and not too irritating to the gut. Gluten is a complicated protein. Try to clean up after baking bread and you have all this long, stringy, cementlike stuff. THATs gluten. No wonder it causes so much trouble for so many people!

My gluten-intolerant client says that she presented with GI symptoms and still does when glutened, but she recently found out that she has a vitamin D deficiency along with pretty bad muscle pain in the upper back and arms, which is what she sees me for. Read up on the symptoms of Vit. D deficiency because I think that it can have muscular effects as well.

I have primarily GI symptoms as well, but those translate to muscle cramps and brain-fog/dizziness if I get glutened too often or introduce something into my diet that seems gluten free but is not and has been cross contaminated. I am not diagnosed celiac either (long story on that one!) but after I finally took the advice of my doctor and did gluten free I feel way better all around.

I know from my own experiences that when you do not get enough calcium, potassium, protein and fat in your diet, your body will show it! So perhaps you dont have full on malabsorbtion, but could it be that there are certain things that you arent getting? That's pretty common, too.

Hope that helps!

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
The gluten-free diet will help in the sense that, if you are having a shortage of muscle-critical vitamins, you may be able to absorb them easier. One of the great things about gluten free is that most gluten-free grains are easy to digest and not too irritating to the gut. Gluten is a complicated protein. Try to clean up after baking bread and you have all this long, stringy, cementlike stuff. THATs gluten. No wonder it causes so much trouble for so many people!

My gluten-intolerant client says that she presented with GI symptoms and still does when glutened, but she recently found out that she has a vitamin D deficiency along with pretty bad muscle pain in the upper back and arms, which is what she sees me for. Read up on the symptoms of Vit. D deficiency because I think that it can have muscular effects as well.

I have primarily GI symptoms as well, but those translate to muscle cramps and brain-fog/dizziness if I get glutened too often or introduce something into my diet that seems gluten free but is not and has been cross contaminated. I am not diagnosed celiac either (long story on that one!) but after I finally took the advice of my doctor and did gluten free I feel way better all around.

I know from my own experiences that when you do not get enough calcium, potassium, protein and fat in your diet, your body will show it! So perhaps you dont have full on malabsorbtion, but could it be that there are certain things that you arent getting? That's pretty common, too.

Hope that helps!

Haylem, so far, the only symptoms I found for vit D are depressed moods, nausea and bone aches. My vit D was at 55 in Septembre and 60 in April/May. I think the optimum is between 100 and 200. I have been taking at least 1000iu for about a year now with some days I would forget. Now, I switched to 2000iu not long ago. I will look into vit D and muscular effects. Anyway, I didn't know vit D was so important for the health until a year ago after researches have shown it had an impact on preventing cancer. Btw, my GI symptoms are getting better so probably the diet is working :)

I am hoping to order the gene cells and if it is positive, I will be eliminating gluten even in shampoing and other bath items.

You probably know that if you have muscle cramps, magnesium is good. I used to get cramps for a long time in my teens when I had no clue of the miracle of magnesium. I started eating a banana each day after reading on the net that a banana a day keeps the doctor away. Read ]here and you will never look at a banana the same way again.

I don't have cramps now but something very new is the stiffness in my lower body.

Wolicki Enthusiast
Haylem, so far, the only symptoms I found for vit D are depressed moods, nausea and bone aches. My vit D was at 55 in Septembre and 60 in April/May. I think the optimum is between 100 and 200. I have been taking at least 1000iu for about a year now with some days I would forget. Now, I switched to 2000iu not long ago. I will look into vit D and muscular effects. Anyway, I didn't know vit D was so important for the health until a year ago after researches have shown it had an impact on preventing cancer. Btw, my GI symptoms are getting better so probably the diet is working :)

I am hoping to order the gene cells and if it is positive, I will be eliminating gluten even in shampoing and other bath items.

You probably know that if you have muscle cramps, magnesium is good. I used to get cramps for a long time in my teens when I had no clue of the miracle of magnesium. I started eating a banana each day after reading on the net that a banana a day keeps the doctor away. Read ]here and you will never look at a banana the same way again.

I don't have cramps now but something very new is the stiffness in my lower body.

Nadia

You may want to speak to your doctor about prescription strength Vitamin D. I am taking 50,000 IU 3x per week and my symptoms are improving.

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Nadia

You may want to speak to your doctor about prescription strength Vitamin D. I am taking 50,000 IU 3x per week and my symptoms are improving.

I want to reply to this message now. Last night, while I was writing my reply to Haleym, I had a sleep attack and kept closing my eyes and fought to stay awake. I wish I didn't: this morning, I woke up when I heard my alarm and pressed the snooze bottom but couldn't sleep because of the constructions behind my building. Very noisy! So, I was drowsy and sleepy all day. I think I need a good 12 hours tonight.

I will speak to my doctor the next time I see him for the results of my pulmonary PA and Lat. I just did the X-Ray today.

Every time I see my doctor there is something new. The last time was a lung weakness detected during the asthma metacholine challenge.

I have heard of higher doses of vitamin D but I thought it was for people with much lower levels. My vit D (25 HYDR) is 55 with an ideal range of 75 to 200 NMOL/L

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived