chasbari

Receding Gums?

Rate this topic

Just thinking out loud here and have not done any further inquiry as of yet.

I got to thinking and wondering, would the same mechanism that causes villus blunting and atrophy also be responsible for the same response of the oral mucosa/epithelium? It seem that it would make sense since it is the gateway to the digestive system that there might possibly be a link to gingivitis/gum disease and celiac if this were the case. Does anyone know if there is inquiry in this direction. I keep thinking about all the dental issues that could have been earlier clues for effective celiac diagnosis had my dentist been aware of this as a possible issue in the first place.

CS

I've had bone loss and receding gums for past 10 years or more...haven't done any research, but my bone loss came to mind upon celiac dx.

Don't know about your question, but I do know that antacids will cause receding gums. They are commonly used with bloating issues associated with Celiac.

My gums were quite inflammed before diagnosis and I did have quite a bit of recession. I do think they might be linked as since I went gluten free my gums have been doing very well although the recession of course has not gotten better it hasn't gotten any worse. Since celiac in full force can cause full body inflammation I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed. In addition since gluten crosses the mucosal membranes when we eat gluten our oral tissues are the first place where it enters the bloodstream it is IMHO quite likely it would effect our gums.

Interesting thought. My gums use to pull back anytime I ate pizza. I always blamed it on the tomatoes and that pizza is best eaten hot (or cold for breakfast). Now that I am gluten free I don't have this problem but still am eating hot pizza and tomatoes.

It's an interesting theory, my gums started receeding in my 20's (celiac disease for 47 years) what's maybe even more so is that for me is that the first reaction i get to gluten is my tongue, it starts to feel swollen and comes up with red itchy blotches and circles, and thats when i put it in my mouth it's almost instantaneous for me and thats when I know for sure that I've been glutened.... I used to have a lot of mouth ulcers when i was a child/teenager and i know that's been the topic of studies recently...