This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Does Having Hl-dq2 + Subset Of That Gene Mean?

Newbyliz

Newbyliz Rookie

I am currently scheduled for my second upper endoscopy in a week bcause my gastro. said that I tested positive for HLA-DQ2 plus a subset of that gene and he feels that, that alone puts me in a moderate risk group for developing celiac since my symptoms are pretty bad. I get confused about the genetic testing because I know it doesn't mean you will get celiac it just means you have the genetic predisposition needed to develop it. Does having the HLA-DQ2 plus a subset of it really put me at a higher risk? I do have to say that I have been trying to eat gluten containing foods at each meal for the past week and I am not feeling too well. My stools are really loose and I am really foggy, it seems so strange to be conciously eating something that potentially is harmful to you but I know its necessary for the testing. I am a little skeptical going through another upper endoscopy since the first didn't show anything but I guess I just have to trust my new doc and pray that he sees something that will explain how rotten I feel. I am so tired I want to know why I am deficient in vitamin b12 and d and I want to get to a point where this isn't something that haunts me each day. Even if the endoscopy comes back like the first and just shows inflammation throughout my whole digestive tract I am definitely going to try a gluten free diet. Sorry to be rambling and fussing I just am so thankful that this forum is here and that there are people who understand completely what you are going through in trying to, for once an for all, figure out what is wrong.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

homemaker Enthusiast
I am currently scheduled for my second upper endoscopy in a week bcause my gastro. said that I tested positive for HLA-DQ2 plus a subset of that gene and he feels that, that alone puts me in a moderate risk group for developing celiac since my symptoms are pretty bad. I get confused about the genetic testing because I know it doesn't mean you will get celiac it just means you have the genetic predisposition needed to develop it. Does having the HLA-DQ2 plus a subset of it really put me at a higher risk? I do have to say that I have been trying to eat gluten containing foods at each meal for the past week and I am not feeling too well. My stools are really loose and I am really foggy, it seems so strange to be conciously eating something that potentially is harmful to you but I know its necessary for the testing. I am a little skeptical going through another upper endoscopy since the first didn't show anything but I guess I just have to trust my new doc and pray that he sees something that will explain how rotten I feel. I am so tired I want to know why I am deficient in vitamin b12 and d and I want to get to a point where this isn't something that haunts me each day. Even if the endoscopy comes back like the first and just shows inflammation throughout my whole digestive tract I am definitely going to try a gluten free diet. Sorry to be rambling and fussing I just am so thankful that this forum is here and that there are people who understand completely what you are going through in trying to, for once an for all, figure out what is wrong.

I would like that answer too! I also have HLA-DQ2 plus what I think is a subset of that ...I am so confused

Newbyliz Rookie

I see that you went gluten free the beginning of October. Do you feel any better? Thank you so much for your reply.

homemaker Enthusiast
I see that you went gluten free the beginning of October. Do you feel any better? Thank you so much for your reply.

I now have been gluten free for 2 months now...and yes I feel so much better....an almost total turnaround intestinally....

Newbyliz Rookie

I can't wait to get the second endoscopy over so that I can see if I feel better on the gluten free diet. Did you say or not if you had a positive biopsy or bloodwork? Thanks!

homemaker Enthusiast
I can't wait to get the second endoscopy over so that I can see if I feel better on the gluten free diet. Did you say or not if you had a positive biopsy or bloodwork? Thanks!

My bloodwork was negative and I did not have an endoscope down...my Doc I went to for the blood test basically told me to go out an celebrate with a bagel...after my blood test came back negative...

Archived